Recruiting Article from USA Today

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Recruiting Article from USA Today

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:57 pm

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/recruiting- ... jeff-scott

Give it a read. I know it is at a higher level but most of the things discusses can be compared to any level of college football.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Recruiting Article from USA Today

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:05 pm

VimSince03 wrote:http://usatodayhss.com/2017/recruiting- ... jeff-scott

Give it a read. I know it is at a higher level but most of the things discusses can be compared to any level of college football.
For example, I take this approach when watching players from Class C, Class B, and even sometimes Class A (depending on what team is playing):
Q: What does it take for a recruit to get the attention of the Clemson football staff?

A: Because of everything that Clemson has to offer, we can recruit at a very high level. We are looking for elite players. For a guy to get our attention, he really needs to be dominating at the high school level. It should be obvious. When we turn on that game film, my wife should be able to pick out who we are watching! If we can’t tell who we are watching after a few minutes, we’re probably watching the wrong video.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:16 pm

Good stuff. I think at our level we are probably not going to get the player that our wives see on the film after 5 mins...it might take a half before we can identify our kids. :lol:

Clearly Coach is not about offering just 1 kid/position and i think it has to do with the fact that we are not FBS. FCS schools are competing with FBS and FCS and lower, so we need to chum the waters so to speak in order to get into the game with recruits. I like how Coach recruits, and I like the results...so far!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:33 pm

catsrback76 wrote:Good stuff. I think at our level we are probably not going to get the player that our wives see on the film after 5 mins...it might take a half before we can identify our kids. :lol:

Clearly Coach is not about offering just 1 kid/position and i think it has to do with the fact that we are not FBS. FCS schools are competing with FBS and FCS and lower, so we need to chum the waters so to speak in order to get into the game with recruits. I like how Coach recruits, and I like the results...so far!
But that's why I'm saying the recruiting is still the same just at a different level here in Montana. A good class B player should stand out immediately on the field when you turn on the tape. If he doesn't, it usually means he isn't a good enough athlete to play in the FCS. Guys from the 2016 class of Montana recruits like Michael Jobman, Sean Opland, Jace Lewis, Trase LeTexier, Jered Padmos (kicking/punting), and Jake Sessions all stood out on tape. Connor Sullivan from that 2014 class was a mismatch every time he took the field for Class C Ennis his senior year. They have to stand out to get noticed.