New OL Coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: New OL Coach

Post by onceacat » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:12 pm

lutecat wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:California recruiting since 2011: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=37323

Texas recruiting since 2011: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=37324
Don't take this personally, but you put all six guys from 2016 on the good list, and only two have actually played. How many of the guys who ended up on their years' bad lists looked poised to "compete for a spot" at some point? The numbers for California are really 14/31, with four guys too soon to tell.

I also wonder if teams are really expected to score a "hit" on half their recruits. It seems intuitive that if you're unsuccessful more often than not, that's bad, but that's not always the case. If you miss more than half your shots in basketball, you can still be Tyler Hall. If you get out more often than you get a hit in baseball, you can still be Mike Trout. Football teams put a lot of guys on the roster, but only about a quarter of them are the starters. Another ten to twelve are key backups who make big positive contributions to the team without being starters, although most of those guys seem to go on to become starters eventually rather than peaking as key backups. That means, at any given time, a huge fraction of the roster consists of guys who either don't play at all, or can't play well enough to make a positive impact. Some of those guys get better, but certainly a lot of them quit or don't improve.
And if you as a qb complete less than half your passes in football you can be....unemployed or Colin Kapernick.... or if you are a coach who's team's red zone % is less then half you can be laughed out of your profession.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

You only get 63 scholarships, and 85 roster spots. Assuming you need to go 2 deep at every position, plus another dozen guys to split between 4 special teams units, you pretty much need 50 contributors. About 12 of your schollies are going to players who are redshirting, and you have another 12 who are RS frosh that usually aren't going to be great contributors. So, at the end of the day, you are trying to build a 50 guy "contributing" roster out of 36-40 full scholarships & some walk ons...

If you miss on 50% of your out of staters, thats going to put you in a deep hole. You are going to be playing redshirts, "burning" redshirts on special teams, or depending on walk-ons to make up a big portion of your contributors. When top tier recruits get hurt (Wyatt Christiansen or Blake Braun) it really hurts. At least when guys can't make grades, like Prevost (I thought he was better on film than Marino) and WaWa, you can still give the scholarship to the next guy. Its really hard to justify yanking a scholarship from a kid like Christiansen over injuries.

Thats part of the advantage I keep harping on about EWU: I'm willing to bet a half scholarship plus in-state tuition at EWU is a better financial deal for a Washington recruit than a full ride to UM or MSU. They can cast a much wider net and cull out the guys who can't make grades, have attitude problems, lose desire, don't develop, etc...

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:21 am

I think every year anyone trying to account for football scholarships given to incoming players (transfers and freshmen) it's always high. A lot of people assume almost all of our out of state players are full rides when they might be getting full tuition and board, but they aren't using a full football scholarship. Just looking at the makeup of the current roster tells you we have 56 out of state players. That leaves 7 scholarships to be split up among 54 in state players.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:56 am

iaafan wrote:I think every year anyone trying to account for football scholarships given to incoming players (transfers and freshmen) it's always high. A lot of people assume almost all of our out of state players are full rides when they might be getting full tuition and board, but they aren't using a full football scholarship. Just looking at the makeup of the current roster tells you we have 56 out of state players. That leaves 7 scholarships to be split up among 54 in state players.
I never said all out-of-state players were full-ride players but still a good point to bring up iaafan. Not all incoming out-of-state athletes are full-rides but the majority of them are when they are recruited here, especially the ones who sign on signing day. Recent kids like Jordan Hoy, BJ Ojo, Sidney Holmes, Sam Plucker, and Chris Robinson were all out-of-state full-ride kids from the 2015 signing class that are not with the team anymore. And the year prior with Garrett Marino, Eric Prevost, Matt Stewart, DeMonte King, Toti Moeakiola, Wawa Leota, and Joey Marinello, that makes 12 kids in a two year span that were full-scholarship kids (please correct me if one of these kids wasn't a full-ride). It is a tough pill to swallow when the program loses full-ride out-of-state recruits within one or two years. Thankfully we had solid Montana classes in those two years (on minimal scholarship output) or else Ash would've completely ****** the bed in his final two recruiting classes. Choate has obviously adjusted and found his type of player in his first two recruiting classes so I will definitely track the attrition of HIS recruits compared to Ash's.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:28 pm

I know this thread is getting a little off topic but here are some questions I have about scholarships;

Do scholarship athletes automatically get ‘out-of-state’ tuition waived? For example, if an out-of-state athlete gets a full ride, does that cost the program (i.e. football, basketball, …) more than an in-state athlete would because the program needs to reimburse the University for out-of-state tuition not just in-state tuition? Another example would be, does an out-of-state ‘walk-on’ or ‘preferred walk on’ need to pay out-of-state tuition or is he/she allowed to pay just in-state tuition and get the out-of-state portion of his/her tuition waived because he/she is participating in a sport?

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:19 pm

I keep clicking on this thread to read about the OL coach- lame.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:38 pm

Common Cat wrote:I keep clicking on this thread to read about the OL coach- lame.
A month after signing day. Six months til the season opener. Sorry to disappoint you.

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:11 am

onceacat wrote:A month after signing day. Six months til the season opener. Sorry to disappoint you.
Ouch, that is one of the meanest things I have ever seen on this site........say it ain't so!!!

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

pckrfndvdarm
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by pckrfndvdarm » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:44 am

Actually it is 7 months to first game, from the day after
Signing day. We are now 6 months, minus 1 day, to opening day.

pckrfndvdarm
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by pckrfndvdarm » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:49 am

Whoops. Sorry I am old and slow. Missed what was being said earlier. Now is 6 months minus 1 day..

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:26 am

Since this thread is way OT anyway and next season seems a long, long, long ways away, maybe this will offer cheer.

Granted the OP figured Bruggman would be our starter they were feeling poorly after a rotten apple bowl and getting spanked by Minnesota in the Holiday bowl...

https://washingtonstate.forums.rivals.c ... ost-136992
let me be the first to state that we will lose to Montana State next season. You all realize that, right? There is no doubt in my mind.
I had a blast in Pullman last time, but dang it would have been great to come out of their with a win.... time to make up for that!

I'll be the second to state that MSU will beat the Cougs!

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:37 pm

We had that game in the bag. What, 3 INTs in the 4th quarter? :x

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:24 am

CelticCat wrote:We had that game in the bag. What, 3 INTs in the 4th quarter? :x
Ash got cute, same as the SMU game. Both times, driving deep in plus territory, 2nd and 7 or less. In FG range or approaching it. Decides to throw the ball. Gets burned both times. As far as I'm concerned, those two losses were just as egregious as the many Cat/Griz losses. :x

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:55 am

grizzh8r wrote:
CelticCat wrote:We had that game in the bag. What, 3 INTs in the 4th quarter? :x
Ash got cute, same as the SMU game. Both times, driving deep in plus territory, 2nd and 7 or less. In FG range or approaching it. Decides to throw the ball. Gets burned both times. As far as I'm concerned, those two losses were just as egregious as the many Cat/Griz losses. :x
Of all the teams I root for from HS to college and the pros these three bad decisions are probably cemented in my mind the most.
1) decision to remove Tray Robinson for the injured Orenzo Davis vs EWU in 2012.
2) decision to pass vs WSU (see above).
3) decision to pass vs SMU (see above).
The bottom two I said (yelled) "wtf are we doing?" as the play started. The first I could only think that as I was sitting on press row. Someone else sitting to my right wondered something along those lines out loud. Remember them all like it was yesterday.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:38 am

I was st the WSU game with the same reaction and heralded the decision for a new coach, but let's leave coach Ash RIP. Dead horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:59 am

TomCat88 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Of all the teams I root for from HS to college and the pros these three bad decisions are probably cemented in my mind the most.
1) decision to remove Tray Robinson for the injured Orenzo Davis vs EWU in 2012.
The bottom two I said (yelled) "wtf are we doing?" as the play started. The first I could only think that as I was sitting on press row. Someone else sitting to my right wondered something along those lines out loud. Remember them all like it was yesterday.
4th and 1 in MSU territory....give the ball to Orenzo.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:05 pm

lutecat wrote:And if you as a qb complete less than half your passes in football you can be....unemployed or Colin Kapernick....
Or Chris Murray. (Point here being that college football is different from the pros.)

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Slackjaw
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Slackjaw » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:51 am

TomCat88 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Yeah, those were all really bad. But, I'm a Seahawks fan so....

If not this year?.........When?