Spring Ball

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Spring Ball

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:23 pm

Starts March 22.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring Ball

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:54 pm

Yep!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:04 am

27 days to go!!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:37 pm

Where did I see the spring practice schedule posted?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:43 pm

https://twitter.com/MSUBobcatsFB/status/834525193716559872

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:05 am

BOZEMAN, Mont. – It’s generally the favorite time of year for football coaches, and Jeff Choate is no different.

“You get to really work on fundamentals and technique,” Montana State’s second-year head coach said in advance of spring drills, which begins for the Bobcats on Wednesday, March 22. “We’ll look at some different things, scheme tweaks, but it’s mostly about the coaches coaching and the players playing and getting better.”

Continuity stands as a strong storyline as spring drills begin, with eight coaches and eight starters on each side of the ball returning, but plenty will look different, too. To begin with, weekday practices generally begin at 7:05 am. “This gives the kids a chance to get practice in early and focus on school the rest of the day,” Choate said. “At other places I’ve been where we’ve done it this way it’s worked really well.”

It also works well, generally speaking, when teams return starting experience at quarterback and in the offensive line. Sophomore Chris Murray started the season’s final five games in 2016, leading the Cats to season-ending wins against UC Davis and at Montana. He earned Big Sky Freshman of the Year and Freshman All-America honors, rushing for 860 yards and throwing for 778 more. Tyler Bruggman, the starter coming out of the gate, threw for 888 yards.

While running backs Chad Newell and Gunnar Brekke – one of the most productive tandems in school history – graduate, Nick LaSane leads a cast of young hopefuls who have waited in the wings. Whoever wins time at running back will be operating behind a talented, veteran offensive line. Starters return at four positions in the line, anchored by center Alex Neale. Left tackle Dylan Mahoney and guard Monte Folsom stand to start as seniors.

The pass-catching corps also returns nearly intact. Mitchell Herbert leads the group, with veteran starter Justin Paige on the opposite side. John D’Agostino won a job last season before a season-ending injury, and tight end Connor Sullivan – whose clutch catch clinched MSU’s Cat-Griz win – could emerge as a major offensive weapon at tight end.

Senior linebacker Mac Bignell returns as one of the most productive players in the Big Sky Conference. He has 195 career tackles, 34 for a loss. Josh Hill joins him as a returning starter at linebacker, and safeties Khari Garcia and Bryson McCabe also return.

Buck end Grant Collins anchors MSU’s line, with Sach Wright, Tucker Yates, Derek Marks and Marcus Ferriter returning with starting experience. Naijiel Hale, Damien Washington and Bryce Alley are starting veterans at cornerback.

The Bobcats plan to practice Wednesday, Friday and Saturday next week. The program’s traditional Triangle Classic in Great Falls is Saturday, April 8 (the Triangle Classic Banquet is April 7 featuring guest speaker Rod Woodson), and the Sonny Holland Classic scrimmage in Bobcat Stadium closes spring drills on April 22.

2017 SPRING SCHEDULE
#1 Wed 3/22 7:05-9:15 am
#2 Fri 3/24 7:05-9:15 am
#3 Sat 3/25 9;55 am-12:05 pm
#4 Mon 3/27 7:05-9:15 am
#5 Wed 3/29 7:05-9:15 am
#6 Fri 3/31 7:05-9:15 am
#7 Wed 4/5 7:05-9:15 am
#8 Fri 4/7 7:05-9:15 am
#9 Sat 4/8 Triangle Classic, Great Falls
#10 Mon 4/10 7:05-9:15 am
#11 Wed 4/12 7:05-9:15 am
#12 Fri 4/14 9:55 am-12:05 pm
#13 Mon 4/17 7:05-9:15 am
#14 Wed 4/19 7:05-9:15 am
#15 Sat 4/22 Sonny Holland Classic

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:35 am

I really, really love TE's who can split the seam, outrun LB's and crush safeties. Sullivan is one of those guys. If Murray can get him the ball, our offense will be the tits. I think Sullivan has real NFL potential.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:05 pm

Our QBs will have a coach who knows the position and has a clue on how to develop a QB. That is a major upgrade. I am excited to see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:11 am

https://twitter.com/CoachGregorak/status/843788423265574912

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:07 am

imacat wrote:Our QBs will have a coach who knows the position and has a clue on how to develop a QB. That is a major upgrade. I am excited to see what happens.

I love that we have DM on staff with QBs. It may remain to be seen if he has the coaching ability to develop Murray/Roving/Folsom/Brown etc. Great players don't always translate into great coaches, but one thing is certain, DM is special. I get the impression that if he does coach the way he prepared and played, Sky is the limit.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:11 am

JDoub wrote:
imacat wrote:Our QBs will have a coach who knows the position and has a clue on how to develop a QB. That is a major upgrade. I am excited to see what happens.

I love that we have DM on staff with QBs. It may remain to be seen if he has the coaching ability to develop Murray/Roving/Folsom/Brown etc. Great players don't always translate into great coaches, but one thing is certain, DM is special. I get the impression that if he does coach the way he prepared and played, Sky is the limit.
Not to be that guy but its "Rovig" and Folsom now play safety.

Current QBs expected during spring are Bruggman, Murray, Brown, and McChesney. Incoming freshman are Rovig and O'Reilly.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:51 pm

You can always tell when it's first day of spring ball in Bozeman. It's snowing. =;

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:43 am

VimSince03 wrote:
JDoub wrote:

Current QBs expected during spring are Bruggman, Murray, Brown, and McChesney. Incoming freshman are Rovig and O'Reilly.
I stand corrected. Should've just said 'the young QB's'

Didn't remember Folsom moved. Was thinking Brugg was a Sr last year, having been to what, two other schools before coming here.

I think Brown was out a bit with injuries last fall? Looking at Charter Oak film and knowing the level of competition in that CIF league, I still think he has a huge upside - he was a gamer in HS who just got the job done and won.

Re-watching Murray, I certainly see legitimate potential for him to fully develop as a passer, and can see why EWU offered him. Baldwin would've developed him into another VA, maybe even better given his height. He is a competitor all the way through and too bad he was thrust into action as a true FR.

Rovig (iPhone autocorrect turns it into Roving) might be the most touted QB recruit in years.

I haven't seen much of the Montana QBs - but trust Vim's assessments.

The QB stable might be the most solid and deep we've had in years, and with DM leading that group, this could get really good. Hope spring ball will allow an offensive personality to emerge with strength, but they've got a lot of work to do.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:01 am

I recall DM in his playing days, his competitive nature, his absolute will to win. He will bring that nature and fire to his job....that's the kind of guy he is, and his players will kill for him. This young man was a great MSU get as a player and now as a coach.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:40 pm

JDoub wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
JDoub wrote:

I stand corrected. Should've just said 'the young QB's'

Didn't remember Folsom moved. Was thinking Brugg was a Sr last year, having been to what, two other schools before coming here.

I think Brown was out a bit with injuries last fall? Looking at Charter Oak film and knowing the level of competition in that CIF league, I still think he has a huge upside - he was a gamer in HS who just got the job done and won.

Re-watching Murray, I certainly see legitimate potential for him to fully develop as a passer, and can see why EWU offered him. Baldwin would've developed him into another VA, maybe even better given his height. He is a competitor all the way through and too bad he was thrust into action as a true FR.

Rovig (iPhone autocorrect turns it into Roving) might be the most touted QB recruit in years.

I haven't seen much of the Montana QBs - but trust Vim's assessments.

The QB stable might be the most solid and deep we've had in years, and with DM leading that group, this could get really good. Hope spring ball will allow an offensive personality to emerge with strength, but they've got a lot of work to do.

I agree it would have been nice to red shirt him, but we wouldn't have beaten UM without CM at QB and that was worth it IMO. No, I'm not a "I only care about beating the Griz" fan. 8)

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:53 pm

WATCH: Montana State football press conference - Jeff Choate, spring drills preview - http://skylinesportsmt.com/choate-spring-ball-intro/

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:24 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:WATCH: Montana State football press conference - Jeff Choate, spring drills preview - http://skylinesportsmt.com/choate-spring-ball-intro/
Is it just me, or is Choate still somewhat enamored with Bruggman? It seems it will be an interesting season.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:09 am

msu_agfan wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:WATCH: Montana State football press conference - Jeff Choate, spring drills preview - http://skylinesportsmt.com/choate-spring-ball-intro/
Is it just me, or is Choate still somewhat enamored with Bruggman? It seems it will be an interesting season.
He's being a good coach. Murray is the guy going into next year but don't see a problem with making Chris prove it to everyone this spring. And it is true that Messingham did Tyler no favors especially with the lack of play-action last year. However, Tyler didn't do himself any favors by never keeping the ball while running the zone-read option attack to keep the defense honest. Basically, no one did anyone any favors last year. This is how 4-7 seasons happen. :roll:

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:21 am

Great video put together by MSU on the start of Spring Ball!

https://twitter.com/MSUBobcatsFB/status ... 32/video/1

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:32 am

So did anyone watch practice this morning?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk