Spring Ball

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring Ball

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:17 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:McFetridge, Kidd battling for starting guard spots
http://skylinesportsmt.com/kidd-mcfetri ... ard-spots/
I have subscriber access (just renewed), but I can only get the first couple paragraphs of the article.
We experienced this problem with Griz subscribers and Sample's basketball story yesterday as well. We are working out the kinks. Let me know if anyone else cannot or can access it. Knowing you can is equally important. We have a new code we put on premium stories. Anyone who was a carry over to Bobcat Beat, we are updating your subscription to have access to the new code. Should be all good here very shortly.
It just worked....Thanks!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:37 am

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
I have subscriber access (just renewed), but I can only get the first couple paragraphs of the article.
We experienced this problem with Griz subscribers and Sample's basketball story yesterday as well. We are working out the kinks. Let me know if anyone else cannot or can access it. Knowing you can is equally important. We have a new code we put on premium stories. Anyone who was a carry over to Bobcat Beat, we are updating your subscription to have access to the new code. Should be all good here very shortly.
Should be fixed. The problem was that everyone who was an existing subscriber from Bobcat Beat had a user name created on Skyline when we first launched. All those carry over subscriptions had a specific code attached. Once those expired and we updated, if we just extended your carryover until now, the change in code would deny you access. But everyone who has paid in recent weeks — AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RENEWING!!! — now has a new membership with a new code so the glitches should be gone.

The single hardest part of transitioning from Bobcat Beat to Skyline Sports from a technology standpoint is the strategy of all the existing subscribers we already had. We had more than 300 people subscribed and almost none started or ended on the same day. We didn't want to not give you the content you'd already paid for — say for example you bought a year in April of 2015 just months before we launched Skyline — so we had to write 11 different membership codes. Now that all of those have expired, we are in the clear and everyone who has paid should have active, working memberships. Thanks so much for your interest in our content and for supporting us doing what we love!

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:43 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Should be fixed. The problem was that everyone who was an existing subscriber from Bobcat Beat had a user name created on Skyline when we first launched. All those carry over subscriptions had a specific code attached. Once those expired and we updated, if we just extended your carryover until now, the change in code would deny you access. But everyone who has paid in recent weeks — AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RENEWING!!! — now has a new membership with a new code so the glitches should be gone.

The single hardest part of transitioning from Bobcat Beat to Skyline Sports from a technology standpoint is the strategy of all the existing subscribers we already had. We had more than 300 people subscribed and almost none started or ended on the same day. We didn't want to not give you the content you'd already paid for — say for example you bought a year in April of 2015 just months before we launched Skyline — so we had to write 11 different membership codes. Now that all of those have expired, we are in the clear and everyone who has paid should have active, working memberships. Thanks so much for your interest in our content and for supporting us doing what we love!
This definitely isn't the right place but i know Colter is checking this thread. Colter would it be possible for you to do a podcast on MSU's incoming FB recruits? Would love to hear your thoughts on some of the kids and who you think could play. Maybe you have already and I missed it but I think that would be an awesome podcast for you to do since you know the x's and o's of football so well

gocats77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by gocats77 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:02 pm

Colter,
I am also not able to view the entire last couple articles on Skylinesportsmt.com.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:39 pm

gocats77 wrote:Colter,
I am also not able to view the entire last couple articles on Skylinesportsmt.com.
I believe this should be a firable offense... :-^

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:37 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
gocats77 wrote:Colter,
I believe this should be a firable offense... :-^
If this was egriz that would be a poty nomination!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:43 pm

WATCH: MSU spring football - April 14 scrimmage - Jeff Choate, Chris Murray, Bryce Alley, Dylan Mahoney, Josh Hill — http://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-stat ... scrimmage/

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:37 pm

Efficient ‘Cats move ball but TOs detrimental again
http://skylinesportsmt.com/msu-spring-s ... -april-14/

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:56 am

WATCH: Montana State spring football: Choate, Armstrong, Gregorak - http://skylinesportsmt.com/choate-armst ... rak-video/

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:13 pm

Pair of freshmen battling for Bobcats' Sam LB spot - http://skylinesportsmt.com/pair-of-fres ... m-lb-spot/

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:39 am

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sp ... ac8ab.html

Cam and Keon have finally started to find their roles on the MSU offense and I expect solid sophomore seasons from both of them.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:01 am

Here is my take on the offense going into the final spring game.

QB: Murray is just ahead of Bruggman. McChesney was steady and may have secured a roster spot. Kamden Brown got some reps but I just don't know if he will make the team out of spring ball. Might be a fall camp invite. With Rovig and O'Reilly joining in the fall, I don't see the team keeping 6 quarterbacks when fall camp hits. They might but Brown might be the odd man out.

HB: LaSane is the leader in the clubhouse but Roper had an outstanding first spring camp with the Bobcats. He showed off his versatility and brought veteran-level consistency to the RB position that we will need this fall. James and Pegues also were solid. We are deep at RB with Logan Jones (injured) and Edward Vander (summer transfer) joining the fold by fall camp. Tyrel Burgess and RJ Fitzgerald will likely redshirt as a true freshman. If Logan Jones isn't fully healthy, he still has a redshirt to use as well.

WR: Herbert will enter his final spring game as the starter at X with his heir apparent Cam Sutton backing him up. Kevin Kassis has the H Receiver spot locked down. Justin Paige will get the start over an improved Keon Stephens at the Z Receiver. Spring walk-on Mitchell Edge is listed 3rd at the X and will get one last shot to prove he deserves a spot on the roster post-spring ball. The WR group got hit with injuries to John D'Agistino, Karl Tucker, Dalton Daum, and Hunter Mahlum so the depth isn't what it will be in the fall. This group is adding five players by fall camp with Lance McCutcheon, Willie Patterson, James Campbell, Coy Steel, and Peyton Hanser all starting their Bobcat careers at WR. This means I see at least two kids not making the roster post-spring ball.

TE: Connor Sullivan is listed 1st on the depth chart but he, Curtis Amos, and Woody Brandom have had a healthy competition at TE this spring. Woody had to sit out the final few weeks of spring camp because he dropped below the minimum credit load for a semester this spring (no this doesn't mean he is failing school!) so Sullivan and Amos will get more reps to impress. True freshman Clark Judisch and junior walk-on Dylan Stenseth are listed 3rd and 4th respectively. Dylan is more of an H-back but the Bobcat TE position is kind of a hybrid of both. Devin Jeffries was slated to be in this mix going into his senior season but sadly he retired due to injuries this week. We didn't add any TE's in the 2017 signing class so these are the dudes we will see in fall camp.

LT: Dylan Mahoney has been rock solid as the starting LT in his final spring camp. His listed backup is Wilson Brott, the converted walk-on TE and brother of Mitch. Wilson has been busy in the dining hall, getting up over 280 this spring. Incoming freshman Sean Hatten is a projected LT but could start off at RT too. Anyway, I see him redshirting because of Wilson's emergence as a viable backup.

LG: Going into spring ball, I saw this as a three-man battle between Jake McFetridge, Wade Webster, and Taylor Tuiasosopo. Instead, Taylor had offseason surgery and Jake took control of the spot this spring. Wade Webster will be a decent backup but I'm still surprised with his size that he can't seem to find a starter role entering his 4th year in the program. Taylor should be good to go by fall camp so this will still be a battle entering fall camp. But right now Jake is the leader in the clubhouse and he has had a good spring camp. Redshirt freshman Jake Sessions and Conner Floden both project at guard and Sessions has gotten good reps in the spring while Floden had offseason surgery. Incoming freshman who project at guard are Brody McKnight and Connor Wood with the possibility of Zach Redd playing some guard to start his career. I see all of them redshirting but I wouldn't be surprised if Brody McKnight makes some noise at one of the guard spots this fall. I also wouldn't be surprised if an interior lineman gets cut post-spring.

C: Alex Neale is 100% in control of this position. Redshirt freshman Denver Krone has gotten #2 reps all spring so it has been a great few months of opportunity for the young product from Choteau. However, incoming freshman Zach Redd is one of the top recruits in the 2017 class and will likely start at C, a position he dominated at in high school his final two years.

RG: Lewis Kidd's rapid ascent up the depth chart on the offensive line mostly happened due to Monte Folsom retiring last month and Caleb Gillis recovering early-on from injuries...and also add to the fact Kidd is a physical specimen. Gillis is now back in the fold but Lewis Kidd is starting to click with the group so we will have two great competitions at both guard spots heading into fall camp. Redshirt sophomore Colin Hammock and redshirt freshman Jake Sessions also got healthy doses of reps at RG this spring along with another young freshman in Kyle Murack. Just like at LG, we have some young interior line talent coming this fall so their is definitely some young depth developing in the interior of MSU's offensive line.

RT: I believe Mitch Brott is on his way to having a great career at MSU as he has been a stalwart at RT this spring, basically picking up where he left off last fall. The backup at RT has been an open door of young walk-ons with Colin Hammock, Jarod Asche, and Kyle Murack. Obviously, Caleb Gillis has position versatility when healthy so if he doesn't win the starting spot at RG, he can play RT and I think the same can be said for Lewis Kidd. Incoming freshman Sean Hatten could also compete for playing time at RT to start his MSU career. So again, a lot of options for the Bobcat coaching staff on the offensive line and some tough decisions will have to be made about depth (some young kids who have good upside will likely have to get cut).

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong on anything.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:42 am

Depth chart, full injury update, scrimmage format and more in Sonny Holland spring game preview:

Bobcats wrap up spring with Sonny Holland game
http://skylinesportsmt.com/bobcats-wrap ... land-game/

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Here is my assessment of the defense:

Buck: Grant Collins has taken control of the #1 spot and has been one of the stars of spring ball. Like last year, Jakob McCarthy will be the #2 but an influx of young talent has bolstered the depth. Michael Jobman & Kyle Finch (both 6'4", 225 lbs.) will be thrown into the mix next fall and both give the Buck position two young, talented players who have miles of upside and potential. Incoming freshman Stephen Omorogbe went down with a minor injury early in camp but he should get some reps in the spring game. Anyway, he will also be in the mix at Buck and at Strong-Side end come fall camp. As for incoming freshman, I would say Ryan Davis has potential to turn into a pretty good Buck if the coaches feel he can develop there.

Tackle (3-tech): Zach Wright, a returning HM All-Big Sky DT, has picked up where he left off last fall. He has had a great camp and looks as strong & powerful as ever. Coming into spring ball, the Bobcats welcomed back Riley Griffiths who looked to compete at the 3-tech position. But freshman Chase Benson has been much improved throughout his first spring camp and Griffiths is currently out with another injury. As it stands right now, Wright is #1 and Benson is #2 and it looks like that is the way it will shake out going into spring ball. Incoming freshman that project to be interior defensive lineman are Jaxen Hashley and Travis Yates. Some may think Jaxen will start on the outside but I think he will either make it as a 3-tech or move to OT. I would be surprised if he makes it as a Strong-Side end. Him and Chase Benson are comparable players coming out of high school in that they are extremely powerful but lack a good pad level off the line as defensive lineman. Yates projects more as a Nose but could be in the mix as a 3-tech. The other two freshman who could figure in as a 3-techs throughout their career are Kyle Rygg and Ty Morgan though I see both of them as future Strong-Side ends.

Nose (1-tech): This is Tucker Yates' spot but he has been out rehabbing offseason surgery all spring so the two JUCO transfers from last year, Brandon Hayashi and Fou Polataivao, have held down the fort in the meantime. Hayashi has been one of the most improved players on the MSU roster and will add great depth to Tucker in the fall. Fou isn't as nimble on his feet as Brandon but if you meet Fou in the hole as a runner, you aren't going anywhere. As Ty says, "Mass kicks ass!" and these two have plenty of mass. Again, Travis Yates will get every opportunity in fall camp to earn early playing time on the defensive line. Hopefully, we can redshirt him so we can get him for four years after Brandon and Fou graduate after the 2017 season. Riley Griffiths could also figure in at the nose even though his status is currently up in the air.

End (Strong-Side): Tyrone Fa'anono has returned coming off a season-ending injury in 2016. Derek Marks and Marcus Ferriter have continued to improve coming off their freshman seasons that saw them get thrown into the fire before they were truly ready. The results of last year have actually strengthened this position greatly for the Cats and even more so because Fa'anono got to use his available redshirt season. I see Fa'anono and Marks getting most of the starter reps with Ferriter providing a nice 3rd option. Incoming freshman Jaxen Hashley, Kyle Rygg, and Ty Morgan all could start their career as Strong-Side ends but I expect all to redshirt.

Will: Mac Bignell will take the reigns at the Weak-Side LB spot. Many people have questioned the move but really it puts Mac in position to make even more plays. Also, he won't have to do as much coverage throughout the game like he has done the past two seasons playing the Sam spot. As Choate noted, Mac is hard to block and has great instincts. Both help him make plays in the backfield on a consistent basis much like past Will linebackers like Jody Owens and Alex Singleton. Mac is slated to have a huge senior season and moving him to Will should elevate the defense. Mac's primary backup will be Lukas McCarthy and then a mix of Koni Dole or Sean Opland. Incoming freshman that will start their careers at LB are Chad Kanow, Tadan Gilman, and Troy Andersen (Ryan Davis will likely start his career at Buck). I think either Kanow or Gilman could figure into the WLB spot in the future.

Mike: Josh Hill moved to this position at the beginning of spring ball as Choate & Co. are confident Josh can handle it. Hill was the AA Defensive MVP for Kalispell Glacier his senior season at MLB it isn't like he is playing a new position. And like Mac, Josh is hard to block despite his smaller stature. To me, the game that showed me Josh can handle the rigors of playing inside linebacker was the North Dakota game. On a few 3rd and shorts (and possibly a 4th & short), Josh stuck his nose in the middle of the pile and stopped the much bigger Brady Olivera a few times in that game. The kid simply does not shy away from contact and he plays bigger than his weight. He also has great speed and instincts so I expect the MSU pass coverage to be stellar from the LB group. Like the Will, Lukas McCarthy will probably be the first backup to Josh in the middle in addition to Walker Cozzie. Redshirt freshman Sean Opland could also figure into the depth chart at Mike along with freshman Austin Barrette (haven't heard much of him this spring). We should have good depth at the inside linebacker spots for the foreseeable future.

Sam: The coaches decided to let two young athletes battle it out this spring for starting honors at the Sam LB position and Balue Chapman & Jacob Hadley have gone back and forth all camp. Both have different skill sets and I see them both playing a large role next year, regardless who starts. Incoming freshman Troy Andersen and Tadan Gilman both could vie for early playing time at this position early in their careers or just provide good depth. Andersen and Gilman are fairly versatile between defense (LB/S) or offense (WR/RB) so they will likely be moved around a lot in the early part of their careers before the coaches settle on a spot.

Field Corner: Bryce Alley will enter his final spring game as the starter at the Field Corner spot with junior Braelen Evans backing him up. Bryce has been a steady contributor and relentless worker during his time in blue & gold while Braelen has yet to really even see the field though being highly touted out of high school. With Braelen finally healthy, he should be ready to contribute this fall and we will see what he can do. Both corner spots took a hit in terms of depth with Hale and Gardenhire getting kicked off the team. However, incoming freshman Jalen Cole and Tyrel Thomas and possibly Keaton Anderson could push for significant roles in the Bobcat secondary this fall with Cole and Thomas possibly earning starting roles. A lot left to be decided in the Bobcat secondary but Alley and Damien Washington are battle tested.

Boundary Corner: Damien Washington has been the best DB in the Bobcat secondary this spring and will likely be a starter this fall (I don't see Cole or Thomas coming in and knocking him out of a spot). The true sophomore flashed his potential throughout his freshman season in 2016, dropping multiple interceptions that he would love to have back. Sophomore Chris Harris was slated to compete with Damien this spring but an injury has sidelined him all spring (though he may suit up for the spring game). Due to attrition, redshirt freshman Will Martell will backup Damien on Saturday. Will usually plays safety but showed well in the Triangle Classic two weeks ago at DB so he is going to continue to get reps. Freshman Adam Jordt, a spring walk-on from Bigfork, will also compete for a spot on the fall roster. Again, Cole, Thomas, and Anderson will compete in the fall.

Free Safety: Returning 2nd Team All-Big Sky safety Bryson McCabe will be the leader of the Bobcat secondary this fall and in his final spring game. Backing up Bryson will be fellow senior West Wilson who has never really played any significant starting minutes but has been a steady contributor on special teams. The Bobcats signed a nice safety prospect in the 2017 class in Keaton Anderson who will get a chance to compete all over the Bobcat secondary this fall. In my opinion, Anderson is the future at FS for the Bobcats and was one of the most important signings in the 2017 class because of how bare the Bobcats safety options currently are....and because he is a really fricken' good player.

Strong Safety: Sophomore Brayden Konkol took over starting duties at the end of last year at SS, beating out the up and down Khari Garcia. Khari has been healing from offseason surgery so Ben Folsom got to have plenty of reps backing up Brayden this spring. Choate has lauded Konkol as one of the best open-field tacklers on the team. Brayden still has to improve in pass coverage but he understands the nuances of playing safety better than Garcia, in my opinion. Garcia should compete for playing time this fall but I don't see Brayden giving up his spot unless he gets hurt. With Folsom getting more experience, we won't be too shabby in terms of depth at SS. Incoming freshman Troy Andersen and Tadan Gilman also have position versatility to move to SS sometime during their career.

Kicker: In terms of kicking a football, Luke Daly is just a little better than true sophomore Gabe Peppenger. I hope the Bobcats simply redshirt Gabe this year and let Luke play out his senior season so they can have Gabe for three more years. Luke has been the best kicker this spring but Gabe has been no slouch. I don't see Devin Tandberg making the roster out of spring ball as it doesn't make sense to me to keep three kickers on the roster.

Punter: Jered Padmos has been in competition with Daly at punter while also playing some WR too. I still expect Jered to be MSU's punter in 2017 but Daly has been doing everything he can to take advantage of his final season.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:59 pm

Great info, much appreciated. I know we haven't been able to really see much of Daum in action but I do know there was a LOT of hype surrounding him in Grizland. Anybody think once he get's healthy and starts getting reps he could possible end up being a starter in 2017?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:28 pm

catatac wrote:Great info, much appreciated. I know we haven't been able to really see much of Daum in action but I do know there was a LOT of hype surrounding him in Grizland. Anybody think once he get's healthy and starts getting reps he could possible end up being a starter in 2017?
I'm high on Daum, mostly because he is from butte and there's something to be said for Butte Tough. However, in a twist of irony, he literally hasn't been healthy since coming in for his first fall camp as a Griz. Hurt that fall and during his red shirt. Shoulder issues and nothing to show his sophomore spring and then he left. And here he is battling injury again. I am personally rooting for him, but I am not positive he will stay healthy enough to be a big contributor.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:48 pm

Herbet, Sutton and Kassis could easily be the best three receivers in the Big Sky this next season if we can get them involved and get them the ball.

Punters are people too!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:55 pm

What are the chances that Padmos redshirts and Daly handles all the kicking duties? It sounds like he is a boomer as a punter as well.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:32 pm

GoCats18 wrote:Herbet, Sutton and Kassis could easily be the best three receivers in the Big Sky this next season if we can get them involved and get them the ball.
bold statement.

I agree they are very talented with huge potential.... but yeah, "easily the best three receivers in the big sky" might be a stretch.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:02 am

mslacatfan wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:Herbet, Sutton and Kassis could easily be the best three receivers in the Big Sky this next season if we can get them involved and get them the ball.
bold statement.

I agree they are very talented with huge potential.... but yeah, "easily the best three receivers in the big sky" might be a stretch.
Picture those three guys playing at a time when Lulay or DMac was QB. I would bet a lot of money that all three of them would be over 1,000 yards each on the season.

Punters are people too!!