Hero Sports Class Rankings

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Hero Sports Class Rankings

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:24 pm

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Hero Sports Class Rankings

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:29 pm

When it comes to team rankings, many elements factor into the final decisions -- with the collective of individual rankings being most important, obviously. All individual rankings are based on a mixture of data including the 247Sports.com composite, scholarship offers extended to the FCS prospects, and also the opinions of HERO Sports' FCS recruiting analyst Brian McLaughlin.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Footba ... amRankings

MSU 139
UM 150

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:33 pm

This list is a f***ing joke. I thought he completely whiffed on the Big Sky schools.

Do you agree with UM being 13th and MSU being 15th...and, for that matter, MSU & UM being higher than say NAU, PSU, and UND (who I thought all three had really good, competitive classes)?

Here is the HERO Sports Top 250 FCS recruits list: http://herosports.com/news/fcs-recruiti ... 2017-class.

Zero Montana kids on this list. The fear these analysts have of ranking Montana recruits is laughable.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:42 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
This list is a f***ing joke. I thought he completely whiffed on the Big Sky schools.

Do you agree with UM being 13th and MSU being 15th...and, for that matter, MSU & UM being higher than say NAU, PSU, and UND (who I thought all three had really good, competitive classes)?

Here is the HERO Sports Top 250 FCS recruits list: http://herosports.com/news/fcs-recruiti ... 2017-class.

Zero Montana kids on this list. The fear these analysts have of ranking Montana recruits is laughable.
I thought the rankings were pretty laughable. It's just something fun for fans. I'll give him credit for doing it and bringing attention to FCS, but it could be better. I'm very frustrated that none of these sites will even acknowledge MT kids, with stars or top rankings. We all know that MT kids on both Cats and Griz will be key players and doing bigger things than some of the star ranked kids coming in.

I also believe EWU had the strongest class on paper in all of FCS. I think they slayed it.

16VetCat
New Recruit

Post by 16VetCat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:02 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:49 pm

Harvard was number 1????

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:27 am

Three Ivy schools in the top 12? This is an absolute joke. Those three teams were a combined 3-6 in non-conference games last year and most of those games were vs. Patriot League teams. Harvard beat a CAA team, but it was 2-9 Rhode Island, which got one of its wins over an Ivy team. The Ivy champion last year was Princeton and they played no teams from a FCS power conference.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:54 am

iaafan wrote:Three Ivy schools in the top 12? This is an absolute joke. Those three teams were a combined 3-6 in non-conference games last year and most of those games were vs. Patriot League teams. Harvard beat a CAA team, but it was 2-9 Rhode Island, which got one of its wins over an Ivy team. The Ivy champion last year was Princeton and they played no teams from a FCS power conference.
Yes, and? We were 4-7 and are ranked in the top 15. It's recruiting class rankings, not team rankings. And I'm not going to say whether I agree or disagree, I have no idea who they all signed.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:12 am

I'm not talking record, I'm talking strength of league which records confirm for the Ivy League. As much as many people wish the Ivy League would be in the playoffs means nothing. That league is not relevant in the FCS. There's no reason to think that Ivy League schools did have, will ever have, or have ever had three of the top 12 recruiting classes in the FCS since the inception of I-AA/FCS football. They may pull in a ringer or two, but for this guy from HeroSports to think that any Ivy League school recruiting class has been better than any top 5 power conference recruiting class in the past 10 years is just not well thought out. At best the Ivy might have a team around 25th in a given year. If they are pulling in the kind of talent this guy is talking about, then they must be doing very little to prepare to play games. This is borderline obnoxious.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:22 am

Well as typical with FCS coverage, and even FBS coverage, there is an east coast bias. There is just a lot more coverage out there. A lot information to be found online, more rankings by other outlets they can cross reference, etc.

For example, on 247sports, Harvard signed 5 players that are in the top 100 in their position. That is certainly impressive on paper - if we had done that, this board would be going crazy.

But we know something that any FCS media outlet will never know - that Montana kids give you a plenty good chance to win an NC. We may be only one of a handful of states whose high school players are pretty much ignored by the rating services. Even Idaho has Boise State and Idaho, two FBS teams, so Idaho players get on the radar just from that measure. North Dakota is getting a lot of exposure because of NDSU. And almost every other state has at least one FBS program, which increases exposure for the high school kids.

Vim, have you thought about contacting Hero to give them input? Might even be able to make a few bucks. ;)

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:31 pm

I don't take anything out of these rankings in terms of "specific" slots per team. However, I do think it is telling that of the 50 listed we are in the top 30% of teams listed and so is Montana. Nothing to say other than that we are looked upon as having a nice signing class. Now, who puts the best coaching together to make them shine?

8)

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:57 am

Stop back in 3 years. Way to early to tell right now.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:29 pm

catsrback76 wrote:I don't take anything out of these rankings in terms of "specific" slots per team. However, I do think it is telling that of the 50 listed we are in the top 30% of teams listed and so is Montana. Nothing to say other than that we are looked upon as having a nice signing class. Now, who puts the best coaching together to make them shine?

8)
A perfect example is Sac State. They always some serious dudes on their roster, but they never put it together. Same with PSU. Two teams who consistently are able to get some pretty big time talent, NFL talent, but can't put a winning record together in the Big Sky.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:44 pm

CelticCat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:I don't take anything out of these rankings in terms of "specific" slots per team. However, I do think it is telling that of the 50 listed we are in the top 30% of teams listed and so is Montana. Nothing to say other than that we are looked upon as having a nice signing class. Now, who puts the best coaching together to make them shine?

8)
A perfect example is Sac State. They always some serious dudes on their roster, but they never put it together. Same with PSU. Two teams who consistently are able to get some pretty big time talent, NFL talent, but can't put a winning record together in the Big Sky.
Wished I could remember the article but a former Sac St player turned pro LB was cut (I believe) by maybe the Jets. Was cut because of another drug violation. Think his name was Langston, Langdon...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.