2018 MSU Recruiting (31 Signees)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2018 MSU Recruiting (16 Verbals)

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:45 pm

Team10 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Team10 wrote:I've heard the Big Sky QB, Levi Janacaro has been opening some eyes. Probably wouldn't be recruited as a QB, but more likely on defense or as an athlete. Any word on him, Vim?
RB or LB and he has the size. I bet he gets an offer as a linebacker by the end of November from either the Cats or Griz. Shoot...he may already have one.
It would be ridiculous if he's not being recruited or doesn't have an offer already. He for sure fits the mold of recruiting QBs because they are most often the best athlete and very knowledgeable players. Hope he wants to be an engineer and not a dance choreographer. [-o<
Or that he wants his school to be open in 4-5 years :lol:

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:34 pm

https://twitter.com/brockpurdy13/status/925166325164470273

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:38 pm

Would 2 full scholly QB's in one class be out of the question?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:36 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Would 2 full scholly QB's in one class be out of the question?
No.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:02 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
No.
We average 3 a year.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:26 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
No.
To explain further, QB is the most important position on the field. We have to get a good one. If one transfers out eventually, that's fine. We don't really know if Baumann is going to stay committed either. He probably will, but you don't want to get left behind either as a team.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:27 pm

Montanabob wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
No.
We average 3 a year.
Scholarship QB's? No, we do not average 3 scholarship QB recruits a year.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:45 pm

Going to be curious to see how recruiting will go considering we played a hell of a hard schedule and held up pretty well, had a winning conference record and beat UM. I know UM has picked up some decent in state kids, as have we, but I wonder how those that are still undecided will go. Wouldn't mind seeing Sulser pull a Daum and decide to make the switch. HAHA!!!

Punters are people too!!

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:05 pm

Did we have any recruits at cat griz?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:15 pm

I think there were some unofficial visits. Haven’t heard anything about official visits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:04 pm

Posted this in the wrong recruiting thread to begin. Anyway...

With Cat griz being the end of this years season everyone's focus will move to the recruiting class of 2018.

1) Were there recruits in for Cat griz and if so how many?

2) Choate made comments during the post game presser about a couple pieces they still need. How many more recruits could they potentially get and at which positions?

3) With the early sign date not too far off, will all the current verbal commits sign and what does that say if one of them waits?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:09 pm

Team10 wrote:Posted this in the wrong recruiting thread to begin. Anyway...

With Cat griz being the end of this years season everyone's focus will move to the recruiting class of 2018.

2) Choate made comments during the post game presser about a couple pieces they still need. How many more recruits could they potentially get and at which positions?

3) With the early sign date not too far off, will all the current verbal commits sign and what does that say if one of them waits?

There were a number of recruits at the game. I know some of them were '19 recruits on unofficial visits and I'm guessing there were some '18 as well.
https://twitter.com/6JELWELL/status/932294708440678401
I think the coaching staff is looking for athletes as well as positional players. Just look at the recruits they have verbally committed so far. As for the number of signees, that will probably fluctuate with some current players deciding to not play anymore or retiring for other reasons.

I think we may lose at least one verbally committed player. The Cats didn't lose any commits last year, but I suspect it may happen this year, but that's just a hunch.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:47 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Team10 wrote:Posted this in the wrong recruiting thread to begin. Anyway...

There were a number of recruits at the game. I know some of them were '19 recruits on unofficial visits and I'm guessing there were some '18 as well.
https://twitter.com/6JELWELL/status/932294708440678401
I think the coaching staff is looking for athletes as well as positional players. Just look at the recruits they have verbally committed so far. As for the number of signees, that will probably fluctuate with some current players deciding to not play anymore or retiring for other reasons.

I think we may lose at least one verbally committed player. The Cats didn't lose any commits last year, but I suspect it may happen this year, but that's just a hunch.
I know and respect that I’m biased, but if I was a 17 year old kid on a visit during that game I would have put my signature on the line at exactly .04 seconds left in the 4th quarter. It was an unbelievable atmosphere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:51 am

I watched the tape on that Joey Elwell kid.

My goodness, I really hope Rovig can reel him in. Kid would be one of my favorites in this class and he's a junior!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:56 am

Based off what I've been hearing, coaching staffs (not just MSU) are putting emphasis on getting current commits to sign on the dotted line from December 20-22 (early signing period). If current commits waiver on that, they are putting their offer up in the air or possibly even losing it. Coaches will waste no time moving on to a new crop of kids who will come in during the normal January visits. Now of course some kids may have scheduling issues with their official visit times so some commits will wait until they take their official in January and sign on Feb. 7, 2018. Several out-of-state recruits currently committed are already scheduled to take their official visits on Dec. 8-10 in a few weeks (per twitter).

Not gonna lie, if I was a coach I would like the early signing period a lot. It's a litmus test to see who is actually committed to the school/program instead of looking for a bigger offer. If a commit is on the fence, it gives the coaches time to move on to new kids before the January recruiting period.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:39 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Based off what I've been hearing, coaching staffs (not just MSU) are putting emphasis on getting current commits to sign on the dotted line from December 20-22 (early signing period). If current commits waiver on that, they are putting their offer up in the air or possibly even losing it. Coaches will waste no time moving on to a new crop of kids who will come in during the normal January visits. Now of course some kids may have scheduling issues with their official visit times so some commits will wait until they take their official in January and sign on Feb. 7, 2018. Several out-of-state recruits currently committed are already scheduled to take their official visits on Dec. 8-10 in a few weeks (per twitter).

Not gonna lie, if I was a coach I would like the early signing period a lot. It's a litmus test to see who is actually committed to the school/program instead of looking for a bigger offer. If a commit is on the fence, it gives the coaches time to move on to new kids before the January recruiting period.
This will be an interesting year seeing how the new process pans out. Up until now virtually every talented MT kid leaning towards MSU or UM was at least hoping to get some love from the PAC 12 or elsewhere before signing. Will be curious to see how coaches react if any verbal commits (MT kids or otherwise) waiver when the early signing date rolls around. Like you I think the early signing period will be a great thing for our coaches. None the less, I suspect we will see a few kids back out, or at least hesitate, when the Dec. dates roll around. I guess we'll find out then what the reaction is.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:51 am

I think 90% will sign early. Most just want the process to be over. The few that don’t sign are probably being told not to because a FBS team is holding a spot IF one of their guys backs out.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:26 pm

Seems like we had a flurry of verbals earlier than usual this year. A lot of that is most likely be because of the early signing period this year.
Now that the season is over and high school seasons are over, does anyone have any insight or guesses on how big they think this class will end up being? It looks like there are still a lot of offers out there still.
2 more? 5 more? 10 more?

On paper it looks like another good one shaping up, it's exciting to see this staff continue to bring in the guys they are.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:Seems like we had a flurry of verbals earlier than usual this year. A lot of that is most likely be because of the early signing period this year.
Now that the season is over and high school seasons are over, does anyone have any insight or guesses on how big they think this class will end up being? It looks like there are still a lot of offers out there still.
2 more? 5 more? 10 more?

On paper it looks like another good one shaping up, it's exciting to see this staff continue to bring in the guys they are.

Some guys are offered partial scholarships, some preferred walk-ons, and some full rides, so it's almost impossible to know for sure. I would think the final tally would be around 20-22ish total, but that's just a guess.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:42 pm

https://twitter.com/cole_aragon/status/934233405482340352