Montana Recruits 2018

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana Recruits 2018

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:06 pm

dayday wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:He must not be too awful. He hasn't even been the coach for a week and he got 2 guys the Cats also wanted to commit to the Griz instead. Sure he gave them some $ as opposed to the PWO offers from Cats (isn't it PapaG who goes on and on about how Stitt would try to get MT players to walk on as opposed to give them a scholarship and how wrong that is on so many levels. Maybe it's okay now?)

There are also 2 other high-board Cats commits who all of a sudden find themselves with a tough decision to make....Cats or Griz. The only reason the Griz are in the mix all of a sudden is Bobby Hauck.
Boy, you guys can sure make a mountain out of a molehill. Hauck hasn’t done jack squat yet. He got 2 kids to accept partials rather than walking on at MSU, one who is a legacy kid and one who grew up a griz fan. It used to be the Cats that had to throw money around, seems the tables have turned. Personally, you can have Morris, I don’t think he’ll see the field. The Jacorrano (sp?) kid, I would have loved to see him punching holes for our running game, he looks good.

The only people I see talking about flipping MSU commits are griz fans. These kids had a choice all along, pretty sure they held offers before Hauck came along. I don’t see what has changed, MSU still will give you an education that will leave you employed in the future and has a football program ready to explode while they’re in Bozeman. If they change their mind and want to major in philosophy and smoke a bunch of weed while pushing their way through the protestors on their way to practice every day, I guess there’s not much we can do about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well that’s a little too far. Both schools offer different things. Both schools are just different. UM has a great law school and business school that are very employable. I am doing quite well with my UM education. PS Trust me Bozeman has just as much weed or more so get off your high horse on that one.

You’re a lawyer, no? You can study anything at pretty much any college and so long as you have the internships, gpa and lsat score you can be admitted to um law, correct?

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:08 am

wbtfg wrote:
dayday wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:He must not be too awful. He hasn't even been the coach for a week and he got 2 guys the Cats also wanted to commit to the Griz instead. Sure he gave them some $ as opposed to the PWO offers from Cats (isn't it PapaG who goes on and on about how Stitt would try to get MT players to walk on as opposed to give them a scholarship and how wrong that is on so many levels. Maybe it's okay now?)

There are also 2 other high-board Cats commits who all of a sudden find themselves with a tough decision to make....Cats or Griz. The only reason the Griz are in the mix all of a sudden is Bobby Hauck.
Boy, you guys can sure make a mountain out of a molehill. Hauck hasn’t done jack squat yet. He got 2 kids to accept partials rather than walking on at MSU, one who is a legacy kid and one who grew up a griz fan. It used to be the Cats that had to throw money around, seems the tables have turned. Personally, you can have Morris, I don’t think he’ll see the field. The Jacorrano (sp?) kid, I would have loved to see him punching holes for our running game, he looks good.

The only people I see talking about flipping MSU commits are griz fans. These kids had a choice all along, pretty sure they held offers before Hauck came along. I don’t see what has changed, MSU still will give you an education that will leave you employed in the future and has a football program ready to explode while they’re in Bozeman. If they change their mind and want to major in philosophy and smoke a bunch of weed while pushing their way through the protestors on their way to practice every day, I guess there’s not much we can do about that.

Well that’s a little too far. Both schools offer different things. Both schools are just different. UM has a great law school and business school that are very employable. I am doing quite well with my UM education. PS Trust me Bozeman has just as much weed or more so get off your high horse on that one.

You’re a lawyer, no? You can study anything at pretty much any college and so long as you have the internships, gpa and lsat score you can be admitted to um law, correct?

Hahaha... mic drop! [emoji441]

GO CATS GO!!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:59 am

There are also 2 other high-board Cats commits who all of a sudden find themselves with a tough decision to make....Cats or Griz
. The only reason the Griz are in the mix all of a sudden is Bobby Hauck.
Who? I only said I predict Bobby will go after Nolan Askelson but nothing from has been stated he is considering the Griz. In any way.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:12 am

I can’t think of a reason a player would leave Choate and MSU for Hauck and UM’s non-stop drama and distractions. You’d have to be a complete idiot to make that decision. The people in Missoula that dislike Hauck aren’t just going to start liking him. There’s just too much uncertainty at UM right now.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:52 am

iaafan wrote:I can’t think of a reason a player would leave Choate and MSU for Hauck and UM’s non-stop drama and distractions. You’d have to be a complete idiot to make that decision. The people in Missoula that dislike Hauck aren’t just going to start liking him. There’s just too much uncertainty at UM right now.
Imagine the first time a player gets in trouble under his watch. The media and all the dissenters are going to go ballistic, whether it's his fault or not.

grizgirl
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizgirl » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:58 pm

91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:I can’t think of a reason a player would leave Choate and MSU for Hauck and UM’s non-stop drama and distractions. You’d have to be a complete idiot to make that decision. The people in Missoula that dislike Hauck aren’t just going to start liking him. There’s just too much uncertainty at UM right now.
Imagine the first time a player gets in trouble under his watch. The media and all the dissenters are going to go ballistic, whether it's his fault or not.
That’s correct 91. This is why so many of our fans are so up in arms about this hire. We’ve had enough of being trashed in the media. If anyone screws up, and it’s inevitable, it will be magnified with Hauck in charge. This whole thing makes no sense. There are plenty of good coaches out there. There’s no good explanation, but I find myself asking “why?” despite knowing that there is no answer.

Go Dark Brandon!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:33 pm

grizgirl wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
That’s correct 91. This is why so many of our fans are so up in arms about this hire. We’ve had enough of being trashed in the media. If anyone screws up, and it’s inevitable, it will be magnified with Hauck in charge. This whole thing makes no sense. There are plenty of good coaches out there. There’s no good explanation, but I find myself asking “why?” despite knowing that there is no answer.

I think the answer is there are some wealthy and powerful Griz alumni that own the football program there and they wanted Hauk.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:37 pm

AFCAT wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

I think the answer is there are some wealthy and powerful Griz alumni that own the football program there and they wanted Hauk.
Bingo.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:21 pm

cattz wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:All he's done so far is throw a couple guys with PWO offers and griz ties a little money.
Levi has some potential to play in a old school type system. Morris, on the other hand, doesn’t seem to fit that “tough” player mold. He’s more of a receiving TE, and his senior year showed his lack of will when it came to blocking. He doesn’t seem to be the prototypical player Hauck is looking for, imo
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/local_spo ... commitment
Morris, who Glacier head coach Grady Bennett and offensive coordinator Aaron Deck with aiding his development this year, caught 16 passes for 177 yards and two touchdowns for the Wolfpack in 2017, but Bennett said his best attribute is his blocking ability.

“He’s the best blocking tight end that I’ve ever coached and one of the best blocking tight ends possible our state’s seen,” Bennett said. “He’s very, very gifted.
Based off the film I've seen, I guess I disagree with this assessment. A bit of an over-exaggeration from Grady on one of his players which is understandable. But Max wasn't even a Top 4 TE in AA this season, let alone the state.
Very refreshing to see a couple perspectives that actually recognize BS hype. well put.

I will add that one of the biggest faults of DI recruiting is the tunnel vision on a couple of inches or pounds. Speed is not nearly used enough along with the intangibles such as football awareness/IQ, skllls/technique, or footwork
A lot of big kids never get the speed or intangibles.
I just said I disagreed but its not totally BS. Max is a 6'4", 240 lb. kid with good genes. I didn't rank him very high because he didn't really have great production despite his athletic measurables for the position. In my first ranking back in February 2017 of this class, I had Max in my Top 5 because his measurables jump out at you. But a kid like Colin Bingham was a 6'3", 240 lb. TE/DE recruit out of Missoula Big Sky who signed with the Griz in 2015. His measurables matched up with his film as he produced a MVP-level 1st-Team All-State seasons his senior year in 2014. Max will have every opportunity to become a good TE in Bobby's stable of TE's he likes to roll out each year.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:23 pm

Cataholic wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:

Grizaddict is at it again. Has his Griz agenda, ignores the actual facts and makes crap up with no actual evidence. Grizagenda forgot to mention the 3 star commit that de-committed after Bobby was hired.
Except I knew more about Daum and other situations with Cats and Griz than 90% here so why question what I know. I know 100% fact there are 2 Cats recruits who were not considering Griz until Coach Hauck got hired....now they have a tougher decision to make. They may still stay Cats and more power to them if so. Both great players who deserve what they earn.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:27 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

There are also 2 other high-board Cats commits who all of a sudden find themselves with a tough decision to make....Cats or Griz
Who? I only said I predict Bobby will go after Nolan Askelson but nothing from has been stated he is considering the Griz. In any way.
Totally respect you Vim and have always appreciated our discussions. Not going to list the names here on a chat board out of respect for their families. I'll be happy to discuss it after they sign regardless of team.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:11 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:

Grizaddict is at it again. Has his Griz agenda, ignores the actual facts and makes crap up with no actual evidence. Grizagenda forgot to mention the 3 star commit that de-committed after Bobby was hired.
Except I knew more about Daum and other situations with Cats and Griz than 90% here so why question what I know. I know 100% fact there are 2 Cats recruits who were not considering Griz until Coach Hauck got hired....now they have a tougher decision to make. They may still stay Cats and more power to them if so. Both great players who deserve what they earn.
I know 100% of three Griz commits who are considering other schools now. Two others I’m 75% sure of. And I’m 100% sure of one that has already de-committed.
Last edited by TomCat88 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:17 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Totally respect you Vim and have always appreciated our discussions. Not going to list the names here on a chat board out of respect for their families. I'll be happy to discuss it after they sign regardless of team.
Then why bring it up? To amaze us all with your connections? Here is a news flash: I know the Daum family but you didn't see me posting "guess what Bobcat Nation"? Go away Grizagenda. My guess is that you don't know Sh1t! Only passing on rumors with no basis, as usual.

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:06 pm

The players will choose where they want to play. Who cares that "I know of 2 Cats/3 Griz commits that are now...." Why do you guys care? Bobby Hauck getting hired changed the State landscape; for better or worse! The kids will commit where they damn well want. Let it be.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:36 pm

Trey Copeland has verbaled to Montana Tech

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 am

Go Scats Go wrote:Trey Copeland has verbaled to Montana Tech
https://twitter.com/Trey_Copeland58/status/940385605657157632 Trey had PWO interest from the Cats and Griz. He is a 6'2", 270 lb. offensive guard and defensive tackle from Huntley Project. Trey is a mauler and strong at the point of attack.
https://twitter.com/WyattA0077/status/940277372590231555 Wyatt had interest from the Cats and Griz as well. He is a 6'2", 170 lb. WR/DB from Whitehall, MT. Wyatt had a standout summer football camp tour, displaying great ball skills with a knack for getting open and making the tough catch. I didn't have him in my Preseason Top 50 but he went out his senior year and caught 67 balls for 1441 yards and 19 touchdowns. Had one of the best seasons out of any WR in Montana.

Montana Tech gets two more kids I liked a lot in this 2018 Montana class.

cattz
New Recruit

Post by cattz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:24 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
https://twitter.com/Trey_Copeland58/status/940385605657157632 Trey had PWO interest from the Cats and Griz. He is a 6'2", 270 lb. offensive guard and defensive tackle from Huntley Project. Trey is a mauler and strong at the point of attack.
https://twitter.com/WyattA0077/status/940277372590231555 Wyatt had interest from the Cats and Griz as well. He is a 6'2", 170 lb. WR/DB from Whitehall, MT. Wyatt had a standout summer football camp tour, displaying great ball skills with a knack for getting open and making the tough catch. I didn't have him in my Preseason Top 50 but he went out his senior year and caught 67 balls for 1441 yards and 19 touchdowns. Had one of the best seasons out of any WR in Montana.

Great to see Tech scooping up more MT kids. Sure beats money spent out of state.

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:26 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

Again, not saying Tech would beat UM/MSU, just saying that Tech is getting borderline Big Sky players. Kids who could walk on and eventually earn playing time. Reminds me of what Carroll was doing back when they had those really good teams and dominated the frontier.

I liked what I saw from Wyatt his junior year and I believe he snuck into my top 50, but he did better than what I was expecting his senior year. Congrats to both of these kids!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:18 pm

https://twitter.com/tharrell75/status/940702223087972352 Tanner is a Top 5 defensive lineman in this year's Montana class. He is a 6'1", 240 lb. DT/DE from Shepherd, MT. Had legitimate PWO interest from Montana State. He was all-state at OG and DT in Class B. Coach Van Diest scores his first solid Montana recruit.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:07 pm

https://twitter.com/wearebc1/status/941404767875502081 https://twitter.com/benvoss401/status/941411531018747904 Ben is a really, really good football player. If he wasn't 5'10", 165 lbs., he would've been offered a scholarship at RB by both the Cats and Griz. He was Class A's leading rusher in 2017.

In 11 games at RB and LB:

Rushing: 1,676 rushing yards on 193 carries (152.4/game and 8.7/carry) for 23 touchdowns
Receiving: 279 receiving yards on 16 catches for 3 touchdowns

Defense: 58 tackles (48 solo), 8 TFLs, 6 sacks, 2 interceptions

Here is his senior season tape:
Last edited by VimSince03 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.