Top 55 BSC Recruits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Top 55 BSC Recruits

Post by gtapp » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:23 pm

Looks like MSU, EWU and UND all did very well. Time will tell.

http://herosports.com/news/fcs-recruiti ... ts-big-sky

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Re: Top 55 BSC Recruits

Post by gtapp » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Number 1 is surprising. Tons of FBS and good FCS offers and goes to SSU.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:40 pm

gtapp wrote:Number 1 is surprising. Tons of FBS and good FCS offers and goes to SSU.
believe he recommitted and is now going to san jose state

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:57 pm

From Egriz:

Cats have 9 total (4 in top 25)
EWU has 8 total (6 in top 25)
Griz have 6 total (3 in top 25, 4 in top 27)
UND has 6 (1 in top 25)
Weber has 4 (1 in top 25)
PSU has 4 (0 in top 25)
NAU has 3 (2 in top 25)
UC Davis has 3 (all 3 in top 25)
Sac St has 3 (1 in top 25 but #1 overall)
UNC has 3 (2 in top 25)
CP has 2 (both in top 25)

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:45 am

Credit to EWU on their recruiting. Outside of tradition in winning I don't know what else they have to sell (town, academics, field, fan base, etc.).

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:46 am

The Butcher wrote:Credit to EWU on their recruiting. Outside of tradition in winning I don't know what else they have to sell (town, academics, field, fan base, etc.).
They're close to a city? Idk. Goes to show how good coaches and low academic requirements help a lot.

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Looks like Cal poly lost one of theirs to Cal.

marceag
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by marceag » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:09 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
The Butcher wrote:Credit to EWU on their recruiting. Outside of tradition in winning I don't know what else they have to sell (town, academics, field, fan base, etc.).
They're close to a city? Idk. Goes to show how good coaches and low academic requirements help a lot.
Recruits love the field, as much as a lot of people hate it, recruits love the red turf.

Spokane is a 10-15 minute drive, you can be in CDA in 30-40 minutes.

Academic requirements are not much different than UM/MSU, you should look into it, and all kids are still held to the NCAA standard anyways...Now, the degree options do vary and EWU can't compete with MSU's engineering program, but admissions aren't a whole lot different...

Eastern really has a family atmosphere within the program and recruits are drawn to it.

Eastern wins a lot, they play big time games, they win big time games, and they put players into the pros at various levels.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:10 pm

marceag wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Recruits love the field, as much as a lot of people hate it, recruits love the red turf.

Academic requirements are not much different than UM/MSU, you should look into it, and all kids are still held to the NCAA standard anyways...Now, the degree options do vary and EWU can't compete with MSU's engineering program, but admissions aren't a whole lot different...

Eastern really has a family atmosphere within the program and recruits are drawn to it.

Eastern wins a lot, they play big time games, they win big time games, and they put players into the pros at various levels.
Can't argue with that one bit.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:48 pm

marceag wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

When I say academic requirements, it's not as much admissions as it is ease of getting a degree.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:04 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
marceag wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

When I say academic requirements, it's not as much admissions as it is ease of getting a degree.
EWU is really the only Div 1 school that heavily recruits Washington. UW & WSU go for (and get) a ton of out of state kids. I don't think people realize what an advantage that is.

1. You are close enough to home that Mom, Dad, and Sis can come see you play every weekend.
2. EWOO puts a better team together than most mid-major FBS teams.
3. You have a legit chance of playing for a natty as well as getting noticed by pro scouts.
4. If you get cut or hurt, or just decide you hate football, you can still finish your degree for a really reasonable in-state tuition, without transferring and losing a years worth of credits.
5. EWU can offer a partial to borderline power 5 guys and they will still be financially better off than if they played at MSU or UM.

I don't have many good things to say about SpoCompton, though. EWU recruits well despite being close to that place...

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Sean Hatten is listed as a DL. Are we switching him, or is that just the article's goof?

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:15 pm

Cledus wrote:Sean Hatten is listed as a DL. Are we switching him, or is that just the article's goof?
Really who the hell knows where the coaches want to put him but I believe Sean Hatten will be playing offensive line.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:17 am

onceacat wrote: EWU is really the only Div 1 school that heavily recruits Washington. UW & WSU go for (and get) a ton of out of state kids. I don't think people realize what an advantage that is.
This is the real reason folks and i've been saying it for years. There is a ton of HS football in the western Washington area that gets ignored except for a few blue chip guys that go to the huskies and cougars. It's a numbers game and EWU has a huge pool to choose from and really no competition to speak of. While UM and MSU compete for players in a state of less than a million EWU has their pick of a population of something like 17 Million. And no recruit in western Washington sees UM or MSU as anything better than small college football like eastern and central here in this state.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:22 am

seataccat wrote:
onceacat wrote: EWU is really the only Div 1 school that heavily recruits Washington. UW & WSU go for (and get) a ton of out of state kids. I don't think people realize what an advantage that is.
This is the real reason folks and i've been saying it for years. There is a ton of HS football in the western Washington area that gets ignored except for a few blue chip guys that go to the huskies and cougars. It's a numbers game and EWU has a huge pool to choose from and really no competition to speak of. While UM and MSU compete for players in a state of less than a million EWU has their pick of a population of something like 17 Million. And no recruit in western Washington sees UM or MSU as anything better than small college football like eastern and central here in this state.
More like 7-8 Million.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:59 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
More like 7-8 Million.
Washington has a population of 7 mill, to spread around 3 D1 schools.
Oregon has 4 million, spread around 3 D1 schools.
Idaho has 1.6 million, for 3 D1 schools.
Utah has 3 million, for 5 D1 schools :shock:

For comparison, Virginia has roughly the same population as Washington (8 million) and 9 D1 programs; Tennessee with 6 million has 8 D1 teams

EWU has hit on a little piece of football recruiting paradise.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:08 am

onceacat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
More like 7-8 Million.

For comparison, Virginia has roughly the same population as Washington (8 million) and 9 D1 programs; Tennessee with 6 million has 8 D1 teams

So maybe we ought to be encouraging a move by Central Washington to the Big Sky? Just a thought.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:58 am

I think with how much Choate talks about the I-5 corridor, that we will probably start to see more kids come from this area. I also like that he is going after the Boise area kids. I was pretty shocked to see 2 kids from Florida and one from Georgia. Love that we are getting our name out there. Having amazing academics to offer helps a lot too.

Punters are people too!!

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Rich K wrote:
onceacat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
More like 7-8 Million.

So maybe we ought to be encouraging a move by Central Washington to the Big Sky? Just a thought.
Or we keep hitting Western Washington hard and get recruits every year - c'mon all the Joey Thomas' of the area, sell MSU up and send your dudes to Bozeman!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:01 pm

We also have a ton of alumni in the area and high school seniors who matriculate to MSU. I think recruiting the pnw is a no brained and was always shocked that ash and Kramer didn't invest more time and resources in that region.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk