Logo policy and beer

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

JDoub
Member # Retired

Re: Logo policy and beer

Post by JDoub » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:43 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:Just don't put our name on some shiitty beer. Make sure it's good and maybe good enough to win a beer award. Something all of us micro brew junkies crave, not because it's got our name on it.

I'll be honest, I'd try a "Champ's Choice" IPA, but if it sucks, I'll be pissed because I wasted money on sucky beer and I'd probably never try a Bobcat Brew again, and 2 I'll think less of my alma mater for allowing our good name to be cheapened by piss water only suitable for swine.

If we need a beer taster to make sure it's up to snuff, I could volunteer. [emoji6][emoji106][emoji482]
I'm with you, however anything IPA is swill! So, I am your Lager Pilsner man! 8)
Please sign me up! My favorite is Wheat beer (unfiltered and conforming to Reinheitsgebot purity standard) -- no reason an official Bobcat Wheat shouldn't be among the best in the world given the superior wheat and barley available, and the expanding local hops production! I volunteer to chair the Bobcat Wheat committee. :D

But we all, as Bobcat brand enthusiasts and caretakers, must insist on excellence in everything branded Bobcat! Any beer with the Bobcat name better be world class, period. Life is too short, and too precious, to drink mediocre beer.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:23 pm

We need a beer sponsor that wants to put their logo on a brand new scoreboard/sound system that they purchase.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:48 pm

JDoub wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:Just don't put our name on some shiitty beer. Make sure it's good and maybe good enough to win a beer award. Something all of us micro brew junkies crave, not because it's got our name on it.

I'll be honest, I'd try a "Champ's Choice" IPA, but if it sucks, I'll be pissed because I wasted money on sucky beer and I'd probably never try a Bobcat Brew again, and 2 I'll think less of my alma mater for allowing our good name to be cheapened by piss water only suitable for swine.

If we need a beer taster to make sure it's up to snuff, I could volunteer. [emoji6][emoji106][emoji482]
I'm with you, however anything IPA is swill! So, I am your Lager Pilsner man! 8)
Please sign me up! My favorite is Wheat beer (unfiltered and conforming to Reinheitsgebot purity standard) -- no reason an official Bobcat Wheat shouldn't be among the best in the world given the superior wheat and barley available, and the expanding local hops production! I volunteer to chair the Bobcat Wheat committee. :D

But we all, as Bobcat brand enthusiasts and caretakers, must insist on excellence in everything branded Bobcat! Any beer with the Bobcat name better be world class, period. Life is too short, and too precious, to drink mediocre beer.
I'd like to throw my hat into the ring to be the Irish Red/Scotch Ale quality control guy.

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:27 pm

AMAZING! Wasn't that long ago we had the Nat'l Finals rodeo here which for years was a huge moneymaker and the highlite of the spring until a certain PRESIDENT Mike Malone decided that HIS university couldn't be associated with SKOAL who was the sponsor and kicked the event out of the Fieldhouse and ended a string of Nat'l Championships for the MSU Rodeo Team. The fact that Skoal provided thousands of dollars in scholarships wasn't even considered and now MSU is considering letting their logo being placed on BEER? Oh. the horror of it all!

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:33 pm

desmond1957 wrote:AMAZING! Wasn't that long ago we had the Nat'l Finals rodeo here which for years was a huge moneymaker and the highlite of the spring until a certain PRESIDENT Mike Malone decided that HIS university couldn't be associated with SKOAL who was the sponsor and kicked the event out of the Fieldhouse and ended a string of Nat'l Championships for the MSU Rodeo Team. The fact that Skoal provided thousands of dollars in scholarships wasn't even considered and now MSU is considering letting their logo being placed on BEER? Oh. the horror of it all!
THIS!!! Growing up in Bozeman, on of my favorite times each year was the CNFR.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:50 pm

desmond1957 wrote:AMAZING! Wasn't that long ago we had the Nat'l Finals rodeo here which for years was a huge moneymaker and the highlite of the spring until a certain PRESIDENT Mike Malone decided that HIS university couldn't be associated with SKOAL who was the sponsor and kicked the event out of the Fieldhouse and ended a string of Nat'l Championships for the MSU Rodeo Team. The fact that Skoal provided thousands of dollars in scholarships wasn't even considered and now MSU is considering letting their logo being placed on BEER? Oh. the horror of it all!
I could be wrong trying to remember back 20 years, but as I recall it a big problem wasn't that Skoal was a sponsor, but that they wanted to pass out free samples of their product at the event and were none too happy when MSU said no to that. There's a big difference between allowing a brewery to put the MSU logo on its cans or bottles for consumption elsewhere, and allowing it to not just use the logo but also hand out samples in the Fieldhouse before basketball games.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:16 pm

MSU should set up a Brewery on campus. Make our own brand...

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:24 pm

Common Cat wrote:

How about a Brewmeister major?

JDoub
Member # Retired

Logo policy and beer

Post by JDoub » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:28 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Common Cat wrote:

How about a Brewmeister major?
At least one other school already does this. I'm in.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/04/ ... aft-beers/

http://www.sgvtribune.com/social-affair ... -on-campus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:32 pm

Cal Poly SLO also has a curriculum;

California, the birthplace of the American craft brewing movement, has nearly 700 craft breweries in operation across the state. Craft brew sales have steadily risen the last five years and show no sign of slowing. Whether you’re a seasoned beer enthusiast or a daring novice looking to push your beer boundaries, Cal Poly offers you an array of courses to tap into the popular world of craft beer to see why it’s here to stay.

http://www.extended.calpoly.edu/lifeand ... ewing.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSkyCowboy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BigSkyCowboy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:55 am

91catAlum wrote:How about a Brewmeister major?
UC Davis has a really great program: https://extension.ucdavis.edu/areas-study/brewing
No reason MSU shouldn't.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:34 pm

BigSkyCowboy wrote:
91catAlum wrote:How about a Brewmeister major?
UC Davis has a really great program: https://extension.ucdavis.edu/areas-study/brewing
No reason MSU shouldn't.
MSU could set up a brewery and own the equipment and allow student brewers a semester or so to brew there. It would allow students who may want to pursue a microbrewery business a valued experience.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:We need a beer sponsor that wants to put their logo on a brand new scoreboard/sound system that they purchase.
I'm guessing that is the direction this is going. A brewery probably wouldn't mind being a sponsor for such a thing.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:31 pm

Mashtun, I know you're reading this... your thoughts?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:38 am

BUMP. Looks like the university of missoula has no problem with putting their name on beer.
https://twitter.com/BigSkyBrewing/status/900063327413567490

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:02 pm

Well UM is desperate for any source of income...

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:02 pm

I bet it tastes as sh*tty as Moose Drool too

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:29 pm

Hawks86 wrote:BUMP. Looks like the university of missoula has no problem with putting their name on beer.
https://twitter.com/BigSkyBrewing/status/900063327413567490
Brewed using the finest hippie belly button lint....

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

ECat79
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ECat79 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:56 pm

I think the bigger issue will be if we can leave at halftime, drink beer at our tailgates and then not be allowed to come back in.
Last edited by ECat79 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:06 pm

ECat79 wrote:I think the bigger issue will be if we can leave at halftime, drink beer at our tailgates and then be allowed to come back in.
This has nothing to do with that. MSU simply wanted to change its policies on trademarked logos for use on alcoholic beverages. Mostly for special edition 125th anniversary products.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."