Modest Proposal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Modest Proposal

Post by onceacat » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:20 pm

Great story on fixing the problems with unbalanced scheduling-he wrote it about unbalanced leagues like the Big 10, but it would work for the BSC too.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/mak ... eat-again/

Basically, stop scheduling games a year in advance. You pair the best against the best as the season goes on, so no more SUUs making it into the playoffs without playing the top teams in their conferences...

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Modest Proposal

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:04 pm

This is a really great idea, and would definitely settle a lot of arguments, but I don't think it'll happen any time soon. It'd take a huge leap of faith from schools, conferences, and networks. It'd be a big challenge to change the thinking, planning, and scheduling processes in place now. Schools are going to struggle with travel arrangements and ticket sales if they don't know who, when, and where they are playing. Networks will be left scrambling over which games they get to broadcast each weekend. One downside for the schools, but a positive for TV fans, is that the poorer schools are going to get less TV time than they do now, which generally isn't much to begin with. Schools always want more exposure, not less.

There's the truth, and then there's what's reported in the papers.

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:11 am

MTCowpoke22 wrote:This is a really great idea, and would definitely settle a lot of arguments, but I don't think it'll happen any time soon. It'd take a huge leap of faith from schools, conferences, and networks. It'd be a big challenge to change the thinking, planning, and scheduling processes in place now. Schools are going to struggle with travel arrangements and ticket sales if they don't know who, when, and where they are playing. Networks will be left scrambling over which games they get to broadcast each weekend. One downside for the schools, but a positive for TV fans, is that the poorer schools are going to get less TV time than they do now, which generally isn't much to begin with. Schools always want more exposure, not less.
I agree, this would be an awesome idea if the cost allowed for it. Truth be told, however, the logistics would be a nightmare. This would work well for the millennial e-sports crowd, but is wholly unfeasible for a cadre of 100+ personnel with full equipment... until we invent teleportation. Not to mention tv personnel, last-minute site staffing, and so on. Great idea in theory... hard to execute in reality. On par for the 538 Blog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:04 pm

If we added 9 more teams we would have the kind of balance people only dream about in dreams

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:53 pm

GavinDonos wrote:
MTCowpoke22 wrote:This is a really great idea, and would definitely settle a lot of arguments, but I don't think it'll happen any time soon. It'd take a huge leap of faith from schools, conferences, and networks. It'd be a big challenge to change the thinking, planning, and scheduling processes in place now. Schools are going to struggle with travel arrangements and ticket sales if they don't know who, when, and where they are playing. Networks will be left scrambling over which games they get to broadcast each weekend. One downside for the schools, but a positive for TV fans, is that the poorer schools are going to get less TV time than they do now, which generally isn't much to begin with. Schools always want more exposure, not less.
I agree, this would be an awesome idea if the cost allowed for it. Truth be told, however, the logistics would be a nightmare. This would work well for the millennial e-sports crowd, but is wholly unfeasible for a cadre of 100+ personnel with full equipment... until we invent teleportation. Not to mention tv personnel, last-minute site staffing, and so on. Great idea in theory... hard to execute in reality. On par for the 538 Blog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree that it isn't likely, but neither was a real championship, let alone a 4 team playoff in Division 1-A back in the 90s. I actually think there is more exposure because the games will be more interesting. And I think you are totally wrong about the logistics. While its harder for fans, because you don't know where to plan for away games, it wouldn't matter in the slightest for ADs & teams. They do it every year for the playoffs already.