College Football debt

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

College Football debt

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:07 am

College Football’s Top Teams Are Built on Crippling Debt
http://bloom.bg/2hPxj5Z

Interesting article about the high cost of college football at the bigger schools!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Re: College Football debt

Post by John K » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:31 am

catsrback76 wrote:College Football’s Top Teams Are Built on Crippling Debt
http://bloom.bg/2hPxj5Z

Interesting article about the high cost of college football at the bigger schools!

That was really interesting. In all the discussion about whether or not college athletes should be paid, the proponents always cite the huge amount of revenue generated by MBB and FB at the big time schools, but people seem to forget the most basic rule of economics. Just because collegiate athletics generates a huge amount of revenue, it doesn't necessarily follow that it also generates a huge amount of profit, especially when school's debt load is factored into the equation. If academic programs are being put in jeopardy because of the long term debt incurred by athletic departments, then I think we need to take a good, hard look at the entire collegiate athletics model. Another inevitable byproduct of this, is the eventual expansion of the FBS playoffs. I have to believe that a 16 team playoff would generate a massive amount of additional revenue, and therefore it's only a matter of time until that happens.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:27 am

Yes, very interesting indeed! At this point our program is a producer of income and exposure for the school. The point about debt being a positive so long as it does not affect the total school revenues negatively due to long term media deals was telling. Root Sports is our main media showcase with Sidearm I believe. I'm curious what we get from our media deals.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:33 am

This is why donor support is so important for facility upgrades. Those that say we should borrow the money in this low interest rate environment need to read the article.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:17 pm

Does anyone know what MSU's current debt outlook looks like?

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow