It's the planning season...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: It's the planning season...

Post by Cataholic » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:07 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
MSUBOBCAT4LIFE wrote:
Cataholic wrote:Many great suggestions but the single biggest problem on game day is second half kickoff. Having half the stadium empty at kickoff is by far and away the most glaring issue. It has been discussed many times with many strong opinions, but when coaches defer their choice to the second half to take advantage of the smaller crowd, you have a major problem. My suggestion is to offer alcohol sales in the stadium at halftime combined with a no-reentry policy. The tailgates will survive despite protest by a vocal few. Beer is already served in the sky boxes and at other MT college games via beer gardens within the stadium.
](*,) You have said this many times. No re-entry will only harm the crowd in the second half. This is not a very difficult thing to understand. As a person that has been to almost every home game for the past 12 years i know people do not agree with someone being told they cant come back in when they want. Locking people in at half and keeping people out that have left will only harm the environment and make it less of a football experience. You cant make people come in to have a larger crowd at half. This is the choice of each individual person. The team will play hard either way. Many other stadiums in the big sky have a 1/4 of the fans the cats do even at the start of the game and at the end. Some of these teams are still very powerful in the conference. The fans may make for a greater experience to a person who isnt familiar with football and wants to hear a loud crowd, and yes when the crowd is loud it can make it hard for the opposing team to hear as well as our own team, but in no way will it make the team play more disciplined and better. That has to be the choice of the team at half and being prepared to come out focused after half regardless of the crowd. you will lose more fans than you gain by closing re-entry after half.
This actually made me laugh. Somehow you are an expert on how the 18,000 fans will react to no reentry. In your 12 straight years you have probably talked to every single fan in the stadium about how they would react. Of course nobody else has your same level of experience. Amazing!

Of course nobody truly knows how the crowd will react. My thought is that the majority of fans are there to watch a football game and not attending because of the tailgate activities. Seems to be a pretty reasonable thought.

As for your comparisons to other Big Sky schools, many schools could provide free beer inside the stadium and still not draw 18,000 fans. Our atmosphere is special, but I am pretty sure it is not just due to the tailgating. Look around the country and you will see many top notch programs with a No reentry policy. They also have a very vibrant tailgate atmosphere. Why compare to Big Sky schools when you can compare to a Nebraska or Washington or Utah? No reentry is the common practice across the country. I have asked this before: does North Dakota State have a no rentry policy? Do they have an attendance issue? Do they have one of the best FCS atmosphere in the country?

Lastly, this is not a team problem. Your comment that "good teams can adjust to" is placing blame on the team and or coach. You actually acknowledge it is a problem by saying the coach needs to prepare his team for it. That seems to be a problem that the home team should not be concerned with.
You don't have a tailgate to be part of do you?

That's too bad. Send me a PM, I'll buy you a beer and a burger at a game sometime.
:lol: =D^ He's all yours.
I have had season tickets on the shady side for over 10 years. Phat should read his comments again and tell us all whether he comes across as an entitled SOB. Maybe that's not what he meant, but based on his history of posting and how "connected" he is, he does come across as a selfish dude. The "blow me" comment does give him a little bit of an edge though. Very sophisticated!

I have been part of a tailgate group for over 10 years. My best tailgating years were 30 years ago in college and I should qualify for some tailgate idiot of the year hall of fame awards for my exploits. I appreciate the offer LTCF and I will PM you next season.

As I posted initially, I understand that some people are do not like re-entry, but my question is simple: what is best for the team? What do you think Choate would like to see? What do you think our players would like to see? What do other programs like NDSU do? How about Wisconsin? Let's remove our own self interest and generate the best environment for the team. I tailgate before and after, but I am at the game to watch the Cats play. I can catch up with friends outside of those three hours they are playing.
Wow, ten year? Your old school. So were you alive when Reno H Sales was built? Did your family's company donate the ground work? Have you been on the Cat booster board? If so, how many years were you the top fund raiser? Have you worked coaches show and produced game for TV for the Cats? Give me a 1 out of six and then I'll go on. You've had a hard on for me for a while. All I said was it's nice to go out into the sun at halftime. But you just go, old school.

Still waiting for your reply old school cataholic. You've got the stage, dickhead. Bring it.
Wow. Somebody pissed in your Cheerios this morning. Anyway, you asked for a response. I am not sure what you mean by "I have had it out for you"??? I will say this though, your posts from the past year show you are a real class act. Here are a couple of your posts from this season:

"Dakota has helped his last two head coaches get sh-t canned. Dude is like a black cloud. Ha..."
"Shut the F-ck up Tom. Your blowhole is working overtime and it's time to shut it."
"One more thing. Our slow ass white boys are not breaking free down field. Get Gates, Paige and Sutton back on the turf. Matt Miller is starting to piss me off. Speed kills. White boy chills. I'm F'n mad."
"There's a hell of a lot more to it, then just what you posted. The dude was all about him. I liked Rob, but I'm damn glad he's gone."
"I'm a much better asshole in person."
"Really? ****** You! Go ****** yourself. ****** Prucum."
"Anyone that has a bitch about this game, proves one thing. Walk away, we don't need ya. I could go play by play. Strong with the pick at money time, says it all. This group is hard nosed. Some runs, got by us..that will cleaned up. The first poster that talks ******, I'll find out who you are. God have mercy on your soul. Because I won't."

You stated earlier that "Getting out of the shade on the booster side and out into the sun at the tailgates is nice" which insinuates that only people on the shady side are boosters. Another poster pointed that out. I stated that maybe you didn't mean this, but your past history (please see above) shows a self centered and "self-proclaimed asshole".

As far as your 6 criteria points, I am assuming you bring them up because you fit those points??? I don't meet any of those points. I also believe that 99.5% of the fans at the stadium don't meet one of your 6 points either. I mentioned sitting on the shady side for the past 10 years as a reference point of sitting in the shade, not to brag as my status as a "old school" big time booster. If you meet one of the 6 points above, that is fantastic and much appreciated, but you are not the program. The Bobcat program is built of many people and defined by multiple voices.

Now I answered your question. Could you please answer mine in regard to no re-entry:

What is best for the team? What do you think Choate and staff would like to see? What do you think our players would like to see? What do other programs like NDSU do?

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:09 pm

2016 low-light reel. Thanks for all the hard work refreshing my memory. I only brought up the going out into the sun, because I was freezing my ass off at the Eastern Washington game and going out into the sun saved us. It was nothing more then that. I would move over to the other side if the seats had backs. As far as re-entry, I'm all for it. I don't have kids. But people who do, sometimes need to go out to the car for different reasons. If we had a beer garden for halftime, I most likely wouldn't leave. As far as what Jeff would like to see, I'm not sure. But I will ask him the next time I run into him. I'll ask some of the other coaches who are friends of mine. But I'm pretty sure they would like to have the house packed for the second half kickoff. Who wouldn't? And I do hit all six. I love our Cats. When I die, I want them to play the fight song at the end of my funeral, like they did at Larry Thayer's service. It made me cry when the marching band rolled on in. Now there is a man who was a Bobcat fan.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:46 am

PHAT CAT wrote:2016 low-light reel. Thanks for all the hard work refreshing my memory. I only brought up the going out into the sun, because I was freezing my ass off at the Eastern Washington game and going out into the sun saved us. It was nothing more then that. I would move over to the other side if the seats had backs. As far as re-entry, I'm all for it. I don't have kids. But people who do, sometimes need to go out to the car for different reasons. If we had a beer garden for halftime, I most likely wouldn't leave. As far as what Jeff would like to see, I'm not sure. But I will ask him the next time I run into him. I'll ask some of the other coaches who are friends of mine. But I'm pretty sure they would like to have the house packed for the second half kickoff. Who wouldn't? And I do hit all six. I love our Cats. When I die, I want them to play the fight song at the end of my funeral, like they did at Larry Thayer's service. It made me cry when the marching band rolled on in. Now there is a man who was a Bobcat fan.
Very cool post! Seriously thank you for your contributions! I myself have an unhealthy obsession with the Cats and fully expect Cats memoriabila at my funeral as well!

I would love to hear what the coaches have to say. As a side note, my family enjoys going to warm up at the tailgate when the weather gets cold. But at the same time, when the weather gets too cold, they stay home and my friends replace them. Regardless, my only interest is providing our team the best home field advantage possible. 18,000+ loud fans at the second half kickoff has to be a tremendous boost to our kids. I love the tailgates, but I can do without 15 minutes of tailgating at half if it means an advantage to our team.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:53 am

LTCF brings up a good point on financial impact with no reentry. Let's look at the numbers:

If we lose 200 tailgate spots at 500 each, that is a loss of $100,000. If we sell 2 beers to 3,500 fans at each game (7,000 beers) and a profit of $3.00 each beer, we take in $21,000 of profit each game. For 6 games, that is a over $120,000 in new profit. Obviously a lot of other factors come into play, but I don't see no reentry being the big financial hit many say.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:57 am

Cataholic wrote:LTCF brings up a good point on financial impact with no reentry. Let's look at the numbers:

If we lose 200 tailgate spots at 500 each, that is a loss of $100,000. If we sell 2 beers to 3,500 fans at each game (7,000 beers) and a profit of $3.00 each beer, we take in $21,000 of profit each game. For 6 games, that is a over $120,000 in new profit. Obviously a lot of other factors come into play, but I don't see no reentry being the big financial hit many say.
Tailgate spots are $200 per year. At least they are on the east side.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:57 am

Phat Cat and Cataholic...end it now. You aren't adding anything positive here with this conversation.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:32 am

kmax wrote:Phat Cat and Cataholic...end it now. You aren't adding anything positive here with this conversation.
Darn it! I was about to start a pool on who had the bigger endowment :wink:

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:39 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
kmax wrote:Phat Cat and Cataholic...end it now. You aren't adding anything positive here with this conversation.
Darn it! I was about to start a pool on who had the bigger endowment :wink:
I'd win. :^o

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:33 pm

??? We worked it out and our conversation was positive at the end. What are you reading?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:35 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Cataholic wrote:LTCF brings up a good point on financial impact with no reentry. Let's look at the numbers:

Tailgate spots are $200 per year. At least they are on the east side.
I think there are different levels of tailgates. Also, I tried to be conservative to show this could actually increase profit.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:51 pm

Cataholic wrote:
??? We worked it out and our conversation was positive at the end. What are you reading?
Fine, don't do that on this board again is that better or do you really feel the need to argue about everything? You knew what it was in regards to and you know why.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:21 pm

So, Bethany if you're still reading, or anyone else that knows - where do we get streamers like the JMU fans were throwing during the FCS championship game? How expensive are they? I thought they looked pretty cool on TV.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:39 pm

kmax wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Fine, don't do that on this board again is that better or do you really feel the need to argue about everything? You knew what it was in regards to and you know why.

What is your problem? others post ridiculous crap on here all the time and we don't see you take action. I don't think my posts above come anywhere near that. Not even close. Additionally we worked things out. Please help me understand.

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:11 pm

kmax wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Now we know!

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:30 pm

Cataholic wrote:
kmax wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

What is your problem? others post ridiculous crap on here all the time and we don't see you take action. I don't think my posts above come anywhere near that. Not even close. Additionally we worked things out. Please help me understand.
My problem is that the two of you insisted on being childish and taking a discussion where MSU was actually taking the time to ask for input to a point where it was nothing more than an I'm better than you argument complete with personal attacks. So, again...don't.

As to your question about others, I'm talking to you two quite worrying about others so much. But if you must know, I try to tell others the same thing as I can, I don't see it all the time as I don't have time to read everything. Someone else on this board reported the little exchange between the two of you, so I came in her to ask you guys to quit. Good enough for you? Probably not but it's all you are gonna get. You have anything further you can PM me so we can get this thread back on topic. Thanks.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:50 pm

catscat wrote:So, Bethany if you're still reading, or anyone else that knows - where do we get streamers like the JMU fans were throwing during the FCS championship game? How expensive are they? I thought they looked pretty cool on TV.

Go to any party or craft store. They only cost a buck or two.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:52 am

BethanyCordell wrote:Happy Holidays, Bobcats!

It's been a while since I've stopped by, so I figured I'd say hello and throw something fun at ya'll... now that we've released the schedule, and our new season ticket deposit program (cough cough, not so subtle plug: http://bit.ly/2htkEqR), I want to give you all the opportunity to have your thoughts heard on the overall football marketing campaigns and fan experience at Bobcat Stadium. Over the next couple of months is when our team really starts to dig into the planning for next year and I've seen some really great stuff come through on these boards, so figured I'd start a thread of ideas to reference as we build our plans for next season.

Any thoughts are welcome, as long as they aren't thoughts about third down songs (I kid, I kid).

Let's see what you've got for us.

-Bethany Cordell (Bobcat Athletics)
Hi Bethany....I know this isn't a gameday thing, but one area that has been pretty terrible for 10+ years has been keeping the rosters and bios updated on msubobcats.com.

For example, here is the bio for Bobcat senior captain Gunnar Brekke:
Earned 2012 Montana Gatorade Player of the Year honors, setting a Helena Capital record with 2,415 career rushing yards... a Great Falls Tribune Superstate selection as a senior... First Team All-State as a running back and cornerback... chosen for the Badlands Bowl and Montana Shrine Game.
As a contrast, this is the bio for UM senior running back John Nguyen
2016: Nguyen (pronounced “win”) enters his senior season as Montana’s leading rusher and punt returner … Also Montana’s leading returning receiver and fourth leading returning kick returner… UM’s leading returner in all-purpose yards

2015: Honorable mention all-Big Sky running back … Emerged as UM’s first-choice at running back, starting in all 13 games in the ’15 season … Rushed for 855 yards on 184 attempts, scoring three touchdowns … Was Montana’s fifth leading receiver with 31 receptions for 159 yards … Rushed for 100-plus yards in three games (102 – EWU, 134 – MSU, 107 – SDSU) … Posted a new career long run of 48 yards against MSU … Broke free for runs of more than 20 yards in eight games … Averaged 4.6 yards per carry, 5.1 yards per catch, 11 yards per kick return, and 6.7 yards per punt return … Averaged 87.1 all-purpose yards per game …

2014: Nguyen played in all 14 games in 2014 and started in one vs. Central Washington. He had 268 yards rushing in 33 attempts for a net of 265 yards. He had two touchdowns and averaged eight yards a carry. He also had 32 punt returns for 303 yards at an average of 9.5 yards and a long of 60 with one touchdown. He averaged 16.6 yards on kickoff returns with 25 and 416 yards. His long was 25. John was an honorable mention return specialist on the all-conference football team.

2013: He played in 11 games and started in one (Weber State). He was the Grizzlies’ third leading rusher as a true freshman. He rushed for 267 yards and two scores. He was named to the Big Sky Conference’s all-academic team.

HIGH SCHOOL: He had a prolific senior season at prep powerhouse Bellevue High School, rushing for 1,217 yards and 18 touchdowns, helping the Wolverines continue their 40- game winning streak. His prep football team went 14-0 in 2012 en route to winning its fifth straight Washington Class 3A state title. His high school head coach was Butch Goncharoff. He rushed for two touchdowns in the 3A title game as a junior in 2011.

CAREER HIGHS: He rushed 22 times for 144 yards and with a career-long 35-yarder in 2013 against Oklahoma Panhandle State. He had one catch in four different games, also in 2013, including a long of 19 yards at South Dakota. He had five kickoff returns for 92 yards at UC Davis.

PERSONAL: His major is business. Birth date: Oct. 14, 1994. His mom is Hoa Nguyen of Seattle. His older brother, Peter, finished his career ranked sixth in school history with 1,985 rushing yards.

RUSHING
Year G/S Att. Net Yds. Avg. TD Lg.
2013 11/1 59 267 4.5 2 35
2014 14/1 33 265 8.0 2 54
2015 13/13 184 855 4.6 3 48
Total 38/15 276 1,387 5.7 7 54
RECEIVING
Year Rec. Yds. Avg. TD Lg.
2013 4 22 5.5 0 19
2014 NA NA NA NA NA
2015 31 159 5.1 0 19
Total 35 181 5.3 0 19
KO RETURNS
Year G/S Att. Net Yds. Avg. TD Lg.
2013 11/1 3 58 19.3 0 21
2014 14/1 25 416 16.6 0 25
2015 13/13 1 11 11.0 0 11
Total 38/15 29 485 15.6 0 25
PUNT RET.
Year Att. Yds. Avg. TD Lg.
2013 4 23 5.75 0 13
2014 32 303 9.5 1 60
2015 16 107 6.7 0 16
Total 52 433 7.31 1 60

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:19 am

catscat wrote:So, Bethany if you're still reading, or anyone else that knows - where do we get streamers like the JMU fans were throwing during the FCS championship game? How expensive are they? I thought they looked pretty cool on TV.
I don't think that was a JMU thing necessarily. If Youngstown had won, I'm pretty sure Frisco had red streamers ready to go. Might be something to think about at least once though, when we beat the Griz at our house at the end of the year. I think the clean-up crew would not appreciate this every game though.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:32 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
I don't think that was a JMU thing necessarily. If Youngstown had won, I'm pretty sure Frisco had red streamers ready to go. Might be something to think about at least once though, when we beat the Griz at our house at the end of the year. I think the clean-up crew would not appreciate this every game though.
I didn't watch the celebration afterwards, but they were throwing the streamers around during the game after touchdowns, maybe that is what catscat is referring to.

If your left, you aren’t right.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:43 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
I didn't watch the celebration afterwards, but they were throwing the streamers around during the game after touchdowns, maybe that is what catscat is referring to.
I must have been thinking about the post=game confetti

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz