It's the planning season...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BethanyCordell
BobcatNation Letterman

It's the planning season...

Post by BethanyCordell » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:22 pm

Happy Holidays, Bobcats!

It's been a while since I've stopped by, so I figured I'd say hello and throw something fun at ya'll... now that we've released the schedule, and our new season ticket deposit program (cough cough, not so subtle plug: http://bit.ly/2htkEqR), I want to give you all the opportunity to have your thoughts heard on the overall football marketing campaigns and fan experience at Bobcat Stadium. Over the next couple of months is when our team really starts to dig into the planning for next year and I've seen some really great stuff come through on these boards, so figured I'd start a thread of ideas to reference as we build our plans for next season.

Any thoughts are welcome, as long as they aren't thoughts about third down songs (I kid, I kid).

Let's see what you've got for us.

-Bethany Cordell (Bobcat Athletics)

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: It's the planning season...

Post by Montanabob » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:17 pm

Ok.

How about a flyover Montana style ---- three plane formation.

A crop duster, a rancher and fish and game warden.

Make it for Cat Griz game.

Maybe add a Missoula fire fighter parachute in with the ball.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:20 pm

Hey just as long as you get F-15 flyovers and Hells Bells during third down, I can't see how anyone would complain.

I mean really, how many calls do you need to make for USAF flyovers for the the Cat/Griz game?!!! I am sure you could get Bullock to have the South Dakotans send a B-1 Bomber or two over Bobcat Stadium because we let them use the SE 1/8 of our state to do bombing runs. He is a Griz though.... maybe not.

Hill Airforce Base in UT can't be more than a 600 miles roundtrip to do a F-16 flyover.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:47 pm

I'd like to see a yearly throwback game. Have it be against one of the original members, unless somehow we don't play one of them at home that season, then pick another game. Wear the unis from whatever year and do a tribute of some kind to that year's team.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:12 pm

First, don't know if it was you Bethany, but thanks to whomever got the 2017 game schedule out in December. It helps with "planning." :wink:

A couple of years ago a patriotic feller in our section suggested that we sing the national anthem when it's sung at the beginning of the games. Even those of us who can't sing have been singing along. On a couple of occasions I've heard the student section (or at least a portion thereof) singing along with the national anthem and it sounds pretty good. I have to admit that sometimes it's hard to sing along with whomever is singing, but other times it's much easier. Wouldn't have to be every game, but maybe for those times when it's singable, just an announcement at the start, "Now sing along with Joe Nextdoor as he sings our national anthem." I'd bet all of Bobcat Stadium singing together would be pretty impressive!

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:35 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:I'd like to see a yearly throwback game. Have it be against one of the original members, unless somehow we don't play one of them at home that season, then pick another game. Wear the unis from whatever year and do a tribute of some kind to that year's team.
That sounds awesome! What a way to have a reunion and debut a retro uni.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Bornbobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bornbobcat » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:59 pm

I know most of my ideas are going to probably be too big for any immediate action but I'll say them anyway. First I think the best way to make game day better is keeping people in the stadium. To start it would be nice if we could have a smart phone app to order food and drinks on and then have the food delivered to your seat and pay through the phone. This would keep people from leaving multiple times in a game for food or drink. Second, and I say this as a person that doesn't drink, we need to find a way to sell alcohol at the games. If we could sell alcohol and combine that with the food app MSU would pay for any renovations they want. They should take the current track and convert it to a practice field, fence it off with the stadium, and surround it with heaters and beer garden areas. During the game kids could play on the practice field, parents and non parents could drink in the surrounding beer garden. Sell the lots in the beer garden to outside vendors and watch the money roll in. Of course the garden would need to be closed during the game but could be open before, halftime, and after.

On a smaller wish list, we typically play football near the track but can't see the halftime clock. Anyway to get clicks on the outside of the stadium with a halftime countdown?

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:01 pm

Like the singalong idea.

Also really really like the horses leading the team in. Could establish great tradition.

Can one of the rodeo team get one of the horses to rear up (lone Ranger style) at the 50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:06 pm

I know I'm going to get shade on this from some of our curmudgeons, but I'd like to see some more uniform combos/alterations/surprises.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:44 pm

Counter Assault wrote:Hey just as long as you get F-15 flyovers and Hells Bells during third down, I can't see how anyone would complain.

I mean really, how many calls do you need to make for USAF flyovers for the the Cat/Griz game?!!! I am sure you could get Bullock to have the South Dakotans send a B-1 Bomber or two over Bobcat Stadium because we let them use the SE 1/8 of our state to do bombing runs. He is a Griz though.... maybe not.

Hill Airforce Base in UT can't be more than a 600 miles roundtrip to do a F-16 flyover.

Flyovers aren't hard to request, but they are expensive for the military to do. The military services usually cover the costs though. Flyover teams also have a ground element that coordinates the aircraft, so it's not just planes flying overhead. In other words, you can probably forget about F-16s out of Hill or B-1s out of Ellsworth, not out of the question though. If you really want a flyover, then I'd concentrate trying to get aircraft that are easily available in Montana. The Army Guard has quite a few helicopters, so that's the direction I'd look if you really want a flyover. C-130s out of Great Falls are also an option. If you are trying to get Joe Schmo and his team of crop dusters together to fly in formation over the stadium, just let me know when that's going to happen and I'll arrive late to the game. :wink:

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:08 am

Bornbobcat wrote:I know most of my ideas are going to probably be too big for any immediate action but I'll say them anyway. First I think the best way to make game day better is keeping people in the stadium. To start it would be nice if we could have a smart phone app to order food and drinks on and then have the food delivered to your seat and pay through the phone. This would keep people from leaving multiple times in a game for food or drink. Second, and I say this as a person that doesn't drink, we need to find a way to sell alcohol at the games. If we could sell alcohol and combine that with the food app MSU would pay for any renovations they want. They should take the current track and convert it to a practice field, fence it off with the stadium, and surround it with heaters and beer garden areas. During the game kids could play on the practice field, parents and non parents could drink in the surrounding beer garden. Sell the lots in the beer garden to outside vendors and watch the money roll in. Of course the garden would need to be closed during the game but could be open before, halftime, and after.

On a smaller wish list, we typically play football near the track but can't see the halftime clock. Anyway to get clicks on the outside of the stadium with a halftime countdown?
The tailgates are closed after halftime and look how full the stadium is. You'd run into the same thing. People getting a beer in your beer gardens barely getting through a line to get a beer and then not having any drank when the 2nd half starts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Bornbobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bornbobcat » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:00 am

lutecat wrote:
Bornbobcat wrote:I know most of my ideas are going to probably be too big for any immediate action but I'll say them anyway. First I think the best way to make game day better is keeping people in the stadium. To start it would be nice if we could have a smart phone app to order food and drinks on and then have the food delivered to your seat and pay through the phone. This would keep people from leaving multiple times in a game for food or drink. Second, and I say this as a person that doesn't drink, we need to find a way to sell alcohol at the games. If we could sell alcohol and combine that with the food app MSU would pay for any renovations they want. They should take the current track and convert it to a practice field, fence it off with the stadium, and surround it with heaters and beer garden areas. During the game kids could play on the practice field, parents and non parents could drink in the surrounding beer garden. Sell the lots in the beer garden to outside vendors and watch the money roll in. Of course the garden would need to be closed during the game but could be open before, halftime, and after.

The tailgates are closed after halftime and look how full the stadium is. You'd run into the same thing. People getting a beer in your beer gardens barely getting through a line to get a beer and then not having any drank when the 2nd half starts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
The difference would be with the beer garden you could take the beverage back to your seat with you. Currently you can't return to the stadium with any sort of alcohol. You also are leaving the stadium which requires standing in line to renter and go through security. Since a beer garden would still be inside the stadium and alcohol wouldn't be band, you could walk straight back to your seat with beer in hand.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:11 am

Gameday was great this year, Bethany, I wouldn't change anything major. I liked that replays are being shown much more often now. You guys did a great job. I'm more anxious about when facility upgrades fundraising will begin.

oedipuss
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by oedipuss » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:34 am

It has been suggested by my farmer friends that I've taken to the game that when the team enters the CaseIH Redzone there should be the sound of a big old Case diesel firing up.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:36 am

If we could get the east bleachers done that would be the best thing in the world, and the idea of no re-entry must never be passed, that would kill the game day atmosphere. I make my way to the tailgate and back before every second half kick-off and no re-entry will only make those that take longer to get back in say screw it and stay out there and drink.

1. Fix the east bleachers
2. Never pass the no re-entry idea, as for the other ideas i'm all for them.

If your left, you aren’t right.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:27 am

Being an engineering school, I like the idea of a beeping backup sound when we have a tackle for a loss. Whole stadium could beep along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:33 am

Here's a list I've been keeping.....

1. More band. Our band has grown by leaps and bounds over the past few years and are now actually really fantastic. I would love for them to be more involved during the game.

2. Text message polls. I think it would be cool to use a text system for a variety of things. Whether it be answering trivia questions, or choosing a canned music selection. It actively involves fans in the gameday experience.

3. Milk cam, drum cam, smile cam...etc. These are lame and played out. I know there are sponsorship dollars involved, but in my opinion super lame. (Simba cam is pretty great)

4. The Ridge Rock This House: Also lame. I like the idea of doing something to fire up the crowd for the 4th quarter, but this cheer has just been awkward and actually deflates the atmosphere of the stadium going into the 4th quarter. I'd rather see a hype video similar to the initial run out video but focused more on the team and crowd finishing strong.....

5. Fine tune the speakers at the stadium. This past season I always thought the volume was way too low, until I went and sat in different seats and realized there was plenty of volume, was much louder.

6. Bigger t-shirt gun.

7. More Champ

8. Fireworks and flyovers are both awesome!

9. Big name person to sing national anthem for Homecoming and/or Cat/Griz.

10. Funny/smartass music drops during sacks/official reviews/penalties, etc.

11. Hells Bells, Mony Mony - yes. Cotton Eyed Joe - No

12. Bobbleheads. Maybe Hall of Fame football player bobbleheads for hall of fame game.

14. Dane Fletcher (and other greats) conduct coin toss.

15. The Bobcat shuffle is always under helmet 3, and has been for the last many years.

16. I like the player interviews/music trivia on the big screen but from where I sit the sound is really muffled and difficult to hear what they are saying.

17. Maybe raffle off a big prize at the end of the year such as a round trip airfare or something like that.

18. Love the rodeo team leading the players on to the field.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:47 am

wbtfg wrote:Here's a list I've been keeping.....

1. More band. Our band has grown by leaps and bounds over the past few years and are now actually really fantastic. I would love for them to be more involved during the game.

2. Text message polls. I think it would be cool to use a text system for a variety of things. Whether it be answering trivia questions, or choosing a canned music selection. It actively involves fans in the gameday experience.

3. Milk cam, drum cam, smile cam...etc. These are lame and played out. I know there are sponsorship dollars involved, but in my opinion super lame. (Simba cam is pretty great)

4. The Ridge Rock This House: Also lame. I like the idea of doing something to fire up the crowd for the 4th quarter, but this cheer has just been awkward and actually deflates the atmosphere of the stadium going into the 4th quarter. I'd rather see a hype video similar to the initial run out video but focused more on the team and crowd finishing strong.....

5. Fine tune the speakers at the stadium. This past season I always thought the volume was way too low, until I went and sat in different seats and realized there was plenty of volume, was much louder.

6. Bigger t-shirt gun.

7. More Champ

8. Fireworks and flyovers are both awesome!

9. Big name person to sing national anthem for Homecoming and/or Cat/Griz.

10. Funny/smartass music drops during sacks/official reviews/penalties, etc.

11. Hells Bells, Mony Mony - yes. Cotton Eyed Joe - No

12. Bobbleheads. Maybe Hall of Fame football player bobbleheads for hall of fame game.

14. Dane Fletcher (and other greats) conduct coin toss.

15. The Bobcat shuffle is always under helmet 3, and has been for the last many years.

16. I like the player interviews/music trivia on the big screen but from where I sit the sound is really muffled and difficult to hear what they are saying.

17. Maybe raffle off a big prize at the end of the year such as a round trip airfare or something like that.

18. Love the rodeo team leading the players on to the field.
We use to play John Mellencamp's "Hurt so Good" when we sacked the quarterback. Good memories of Mac Mollohan sacking Cole Bergquist during the 2005 game and that song rocking.

clancycat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by clancycat » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:09 am

Open up the field after each game!!!!

catfanatic11
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catfanatic11 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:55 am

I would like to see the athletic dept sponsor bus trips to out of town games, the way Margaret Ash did in the past. They were a lot of fun & the bus was always full.