Tre'Von Strong leaving team

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat Jim
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Tre'Von Strong leaving team

Post by Bobcat Jim » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:59 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Bobcat Jim wrote:Don't think Choate and crew liked the 10 yard cushion he gave the receivers all the time. Wish him well.
I hope when you go to the games or watch the games you don't think the cornerbacks get to choose how much cushion they give a guy?! C'mon man!! :D
He also didn't leave due to injuries especially when he started last year as a true freshman and then started this year. I assume it's way deeper than that, and maybe he will fit better in a smaller program, time will tell I guess.
At a QB club meeting Choate said as much. Would have one good play then the next play would be way off his man. Was inconsistent.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:02 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:To me he always seemed like a natural safety. I wonder if he could have moved positions early if it would have worked out better.

Also it's worth noting he has a RS and could lateral. He has enough decent film that somebody might take a shot with him.
He was second-team all-state at safety as a senior at Billings Skyview. He only began playing cornerback at Montana State.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:12 pm

Bobcat Jim wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Bobcat Jim wrote:Don't think Choate and crew liked the 10 yard cushion he gave the receivers all the time. Wish him well.
I hope when you go to the games or watch the games you don't think the cornerbacks get to choose how much cushion they give a guy?! C'mon man!! :D
He also didn't leave due to injuries especially when he started last year as a true freshman and then started this year. I assume it's way deeper than that, and maybe he will fit better in a smaller program, time will tell I guess.
At a QB club meeting Choate said as much. Would have one good play then the next play would be way off his man. Was inconsistent.
Well that is interesting, I can't for the life of me seeing a player deciding how much cushin he gives a player. The players are graded out every week, you would think the coaching staff would see that after one game this year. It would be in the players best interest to line up as assigned especially since they watch video the day after the game. Interesting at the very least.

If your left, you aren’t right.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:23 pm

Hate to see him go. Really hate to see him go. But GA is one of the best backfield coaches we've ever had. His way or the highway. Best of luck T.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:55 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:To me he always seemed like a natural safety. I wonder if he could have moved positions early if it would have worked out better.

Also it's worth noting he has a RS and could lateral. He has enough decent film that somebody might take a shot with him.
He was second-team all-state at safety as a senior at Billings Skyview. He only began playing cornerback at Montana State.
Thats pretty interesting considering the lack of depth we've had at Safety. CB slowly shored up this year, S is still a question mark-especially with McCabe a senior next year & Konkol a freshman...

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:39 am

Dang, I thought that T Strong had done a lot of growing both as a player and as a person. Then he just wasn't there anymore on the field. I wish the best for him and his future.

We always get a #Boom when we get an exciting addition to the team. This being the exact opposite I give this a
#mooB :(

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:19 am

definitely a bummer, as he had a ton of potential, but I am not surprised at all.

Talking with people "in the know", it sounds like he never bought into the program, before OR during Choates arrival. I heard he was the ONLY returning starter that did not stick around in Bozeman this last summer, to workout with the team..... not a good sign.

Definitely a bummer it did not work out, but we will be just fine at CB, that position is looking pretty solid moving forward.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:33 am

Bummed to hear about Strong. It's always a bummer to lose someone, but even more so when it's a Montana kid. That said, I would guess that CB is probably one of the hardest positions to acclimate to and play at the next level for high school players coming out of Montana. These local guys just don't see the speed at the receiver position in MT when they are matched up against opponents. It's a big step-up when they come to college and get matched up against these receivers from Cali, Washington, Texas, etc. I thought Strong did a decent enough job, but you could see he was still over-matched at the CB position. He's a natural safety, and maybe when he wasn't allowed to play that position he may have just lost his desire. Best of luck to you T' -- will be watching to see where you land!

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

MTman33
New Recruit

Post by MTman33 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:48 am

You guys are funny. Tre'von was probably one of our most Athletic kids on the team. He was never outmatch like some of you want to say. None of know the real reason why he is leaving but if you were actually in the "Know" I bet my
Money he is going to a another D1 program and probably better than Montana State. He was nothing but good for us in the games he played and y'all can't even deny that. Hale doesn't have the athletic ability like strong I knew that once I seen him get get out ran by a TE at SUU and then at MT the same thing happened. He will go somewhere better. Mark my words.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:51 am

Camo_Cat wrote:Bummed to hear about Strong. It's always a bummer to lose someone, but even more so when it's a Montana kid. That said, I would guess that CB is probably one of the hardest positions to acclimate to and play at the next level for high school players coming out of Montana. These local guys just don't see the speed at the receiver position in MT when they are matched up against opponents. It's a big step-up when they come to college and get matched up against these receivers from Cali, Washington, Texas, etc. I thought Strong did a decent enough job, but you could see he was still over-matched at the CB position. He's a natural safety, and maybe when he wasn't allowed to play that position he may have just lost his desire. Best of luck to you T' -- will be watching to see where you land!
This....
Thrown into the fire as a freshman with moderate successes at times.
If not football maybe basketball?
Heck of a natural athlete.

Tre'Von's comment about never really fitting may explain some of the ups and downs.
After the improved coverage by T at Idaho on the all conf. TE/WR, I had high hopes for him.
The adjustment to D1 football is a tough one and a fresh start somewhere else might be a good choice.
Last edited by kwcat on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:01 pm

MTman33 wrote:You guys are funny. Tre'von was probably one of our most Athletic kids on the team. He was never outmatch like some of you want to say. None of know the real reason why he is leaving but if you were actually in the "Know" I bet my
Money he is going to a another D1 program and probably better than Montana State. He was nothing but good for us in the games he played and y'all can't even deny that. Hale doesn't have the athletic ability like strong I knew that once I seen him get get out ran by a TE at SUU and then at MT the same thing happened. He will go somewhere better. Mark my words.
Why do the people "in the know" never actually say what they know?
Last edited by Hawks86 on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:07 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
MTman33 wrote:You guys are funny. Tre'von was probably one of our most Athletic kids on the team. He was never outmatch like some of you want to say. None of know the real reason why he is leaving but if you were actually in the "Know" I bet my
Why do the people "in the know" never actually say what to know?
And it was his 1st post :lol: MTman if you think he was never outmatched your nuts. He was definitely athletic and I thought he could have been really good but you are hyping him up a bit much. I wish we could have seen what he could do in 1-2 years.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:11 pm

Bobcat Jim wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Always thought there was a bit of confidentiality at QB Club?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:12 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Why do the people "in the know" never actually say what to know?
And it was his 1st post :lol: MTman if you think he was never outmatched your nuts. He was definitely athletic and I thought he could have been really good but you are hyping him up a bit much. I wish we could have seen what he could do in 1-2 years.
And why bash on Hale? Why no mention of the other 3 who started ahead of him?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:17 pm

kwcat wrote:
Bobcat Jim wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Always thought there was a bit of confidentiality at QB Club?
Yeah talking publicly about what is said at QB Club is a BIG no-no among members.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

luvMtFootball
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by luvMtFootball » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:21 pm

Wish the best for Travon, but the bottom line is he didn't play a lot this season because he wasn't good enough! He has very marginal speed for a corner (didn't place at state in the 100M) and this is Montana, we aren't know for having the fastest sprinters in the country. Difficulty changes directions, which is probably one the most important qualities of a good corner, and has stiff hips. If you noticed when he played, I would bet 70-80% of the pass attempts were at him. Opposing coaches aren't stupid, they are going to attack the weakest corner. You singled out particular plays the other corners were beaten, look back at the games Travon played and tell me a game in which he didn't get beat for a big play. I hope he can make it at another D1 school, but highly unlikely.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:27 pm

luvMtFootball wrote:Wish the best for Travon, but the bottom line is he didn't play a lot this season because he wasn't good enough! He has very marginal speed for a corner (didn't place at state in the 100M) and this is Montana, we aren't know for having the fastest sprinters in the country. Difficulty changes directions, which is probably one the most important qualities of a good corner, and has stiff hips. If you noticed when he played, I would bet 70-80% of the pass attempts were at him. Opposing coaches aren't stupid, they are going to attack the weakest corner. You singled out particular plays the other corners were beaten, look back at the games Travon played and tell me a game in which he didn't get beat for a big play. I hope he can make it at another D1 school, but highly unlikely.
Wasn't really Tre'von's fault as he was thrust into action too early as a true freshman. The reason why he did play early was because he was talented. He needed more time to develop but our depth in the secondary at the end of the Ash era was embarrassing so a lot of young kids had to play. I am a fan of Tre'von and I hope he does well wherever he goes. He doesn't have the top end speed and his hips are a little stiff but he is physical at the line of scrimmage and has long arms.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

MTman33
New Recruit

Post by MTman33 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:28 pm

Chris Harris can't cover a slant seen that vs Arizona. All he can do is black FGs. Alley is no good. I come from a place where there is actual talent and athletes. You guys talk like you know so much but you don't. You wanted to bash Bryson Keeton but he is in the NFL last time I checked

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:31 pm

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:32 pm

MTman33 wrote:Chris Harris can't cover a slant seen that vs Arizona. All he can do is black FGs. Alley is no good. I come from a place where there is actual talent and athletes. You guys talk like you know so much but you don't. You wanted to bash Bryson Keeton but he is in the NFL last time I checked
You are wrong. Everyone on this site, including myself, are experts on... well, basically everything in life.

FTG- GO CATS GO!