I hope Rovig . . .

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Re: I hope Rovig . . .

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:16 am

91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:It's a great day to be a Griz troll.

It's highly unlikely that Rovig will be ready to start here next fall.
I disagree. Murray will be moved to WR, and we'll bring in another QB to compete with Rovig, but I see the kind of QB in him that the Coach wants to play and run his style of offense. The only way he doesn't start is if the transfer wins the competition between the two based on experience. IMO!
Rovig, based on what I've seen and digested is two years away from starting at a BSC school.
So is Murray, though. So, what does Choate do?
Murray is one year away now with all the experience he got this season. I agree with TC88 on Rovig, he is rough and needs time but he will end up being a better QB than Murray, who is a RB that throws the ball sometimes.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:41 am

canyoncat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:Along a similar line, seeing how our strength and conditioning was lacking at all levels, does Wilcox stay or does Choate make a change?
Didn't Wilcox train these kids for that up tempo offense? I am no expert, but wouldn't it take more than one off season to turn that around? As for conditioning, I think the lack of depth hurts us there more than anything. Hope to hear from some of the posters who know more about this.

I think Murray starts next year and Bruggman backs him up with Rovig redshirting unless he is lights out better at picking up the playbook and being able to read defenses. It will be fun to see.

Thanks Gtapp
I see Murray starting next year as well. I also hope they design a play book around his talents rather than running stuff that clearly does not work. The play calling has been mediocre, at best.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:57 am

AlphaGriz1 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

I disagree. Murray will be moved to WR, and we'll bring in another QB to compete with Rovig, but I see the kind of QB in him that the Coach wants to play and run his style of offense. The only way he doesn't start is if the transfer wins the competition between the two based on experience. IMO!
Rovig, based on what I've seen and digested is two years away from starting at a BSC school.
So is Murray, though. So, what does Choate do?
Murray is one year away now with all the experience he got this season. I agree with TC88 on Rovig, he is rough and needs time but he will end up being a better QB than Murray, who is a RB that throws the ball sometimes.
I agree with Alpha!

I did NOT say that Rovig was ready to start coming out of H.S.! I did say, that unless a transfer comes in and makes a stronger case for QB, he will start! Murray has definite skills, but not as QB. He must become a key to the offense, but not the trigger man! Rovig gets it (QB) unless we get a ready transfer. IMO

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:37 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
gtapp wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:Along a similar line, seeing how our strength and conditioning was lacking at all levels, does Wilcox stay or does Choate make a change?
I have met Wilcox and watch some of his videos. He seems like a good strength coach to me. You can't coach heart and you can't make anyone work for it so IF their is a strength problem it could just as easily be a player issue vs. a coach issue. We also are a very small team and strength goes with size. That's why there are so many weight classes in power lifting.
That's fair, but the results speak volumes. We are undersized. I agree with that. But there's no denying we are VERY weak in lower body strength on lines with the exception of Brownlow.
It's really hard to condition guys to play every snap on either side of the ball. And for the most part that's what the D line and LB s are being asked to do. Wilcox isn't any part of the problem.

With Murray he seems motivated enough to really refine his passing game in the off-season. I think he'll be our starter for 3 more years.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

I hope Rovig . . .

Post by imacat » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:35 pm

I am starting to question if this coaching staff is capable of developing (coaching up) a quarterback, whether his name is Bruggman, Murray, Rovig or any other you want to plug in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:33 pm

imacat wrote:I am starting to question if this coaching staff is capable of developing (coaching up) a quarterback, whether his name is Bruggman, Murray, Rovig or any other you want to plug in.

Why would you say that?

Messingham has been coaching QBs and WRs almost exclusively for 26 years? He's done a good job building confidence in our once 4 Star recruit. And he's wisely protected Murray with all the short, underneath and play action passes he's called. Switching our QBs randomly has really had defenses on their heals too! Messingham's specialty, QB and WR play, has been the clear strength of our offense all year.. [emoji13]

Bobcat For Life
Last edited by jdevries on Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Football games are won at the LOS

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Why not? A much less polished true freshman QB is starting this year. You either have it or you don't. Murray is an FBS-caliber playmaker at WR. People whining about Prukop not playing safety should be starting a "move Murray to WR" mantra ASAP. He has the skill set to be elite at the FCS level.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:04 pm

imacat wrote:I am starting to question if this coaching staff is capable of developing (coaching up) a quarterback, whether his name is Bruggman, Murray, Rovig or any other you want to plug in.

Lmao.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:10 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:I think he'll be our starter for 3 more years.
He'll be A starter for three more years, but not at QB. He'll certainly be a lynchpin in the offense for years to come.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:16 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
He'll be A starter for three more years, but not at QB. He'll certainly be a lynchpin in the offense for years to come.

We have no idea what QBs not on the roster will look like at the college level. And if Murray can spend the next 9 months refining his passing game there is no reason he can't be a great QB.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:45 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

We have no idea what QBs not on the roster will look like at the college level. And if Murray can spend the next 9 months refining his passing game there is no reason he can't be a great QB.
+1 Too many experiences over the last couple of years to get super excited about a kid based on their high school tape. A lot can happen to keep a kid from ever seeing the field. And a fair number of the Cats best players over the last few years (Newell, Bignell, Kirk-I think, Schriebies) were walk-ons or PWOs.

Our 4 star recruits, on the other hand, have been unmitigated disasters. And a number of very impressive 3 stars have never been quality starters.

As far as changing positions: Are you serious? Right now, Murray is the only option we have at QB. Literally. Bruggman was the worst QB in the conference when Murray took over as starter, and has gotten worse since. Folsom has been moved to Safety. It doesn't really matter because both he and McChesney, I can only assume, is so horrendously bad he can't beat out Bruggman for the backup spot

Murray would need to prove that he can run routes, block downfield, and catch in order to play WR. We've got no evidence whatsoever to indicate he can do any of those things. (None of our WRs or TEs have proven that they can do any of those things either, so maybe it doesn't matter). But in order to move Murray to WR (or maybe a slot-back type WR/RB hybrid) we need both a drop down ready to start and for Rovig to be ready to start on day 1.

Given the current disaster at QB, I think we can hope for one or the other. There is probably a decent chance that we can get a quality drop down or that Rovig can develop into a BSC starter (after a redshirt year) but probably not both. So, best case scenario is that Murray will still be needed as a back up despite the fact that he doesn't seem to fit into what Messingham is trying to do. Do we go for 2 drop downs/transfers? Maybe 3?

I just don't see a world in which the Cats remotely have the luxury of letting Murray transfer to another position. Besides, I think he's a legit talent. He's got a redshirt, and no real ties to MSU. With his skills and a years worth of experience with a redshirt to burn, there are a ton of schools where he'd be welcome.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:24 pm

I wonder if Kamden Brown will be healed for spring?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:45 am

If the coaches don't go out and look for a transfer at QB and RB I don't see the offense being much more effective. Murray should be better, but how much better is the question. The OL and WRs should be better, but that's not a certainty by any stretch of the imagination.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:31 am

I will say this, I for one was as disappointed as the next person to see Murray throw the interceptions, but with that said he did make some great passes. I also would like to make an observation in that we can't put it all on the QB, when it seems all year the receivers have had difficulty getting separation from the defender. I agree Murray struggles, but I don't like to say give up on him and move on. I would like to see them develop him, and get him in the weight room. I really do believe he has a lot of potential to be a really good QB. Now if they are to bring in another transfer, they better really be positive he has better than what we already have. So many people are calling him out saying he is not a QB, I just tend to disagree and could see a lot of growth made in the offseason. That is just my offseason.

As for a transfer RB, my take is this yes with losing both Chad and Brekke, we will need another running back, but when we have Jones, Lasane and Pegues (mind you supposedly one of the fastest guys on the team, but only played a couple snaps), why not give these guys more opportunity. Why do they not run the play with 3 running backs in the backfield more. It seems no team other than once, have really been able to stop that because they don't know who to key in on. This is just a question.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:22 pm

https://twitter.com/TDR_XII/status/795701354777849856

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:29 pm

Hawks86 wrote:https://twitter.com/TDR_XII/status/795701354777849856
He is obviously paying attention to what is going on here.....I love it!

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:32 am

Here2inform wrote:Rovig won't ever be a Bobcat. Mark my words!
Excellent info here.

Great thread btw. Morans.

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Excellent info here.

What is “Morans”?

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:45 am

robgriz wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Excellent info here.

What is “Morans”?
Cross between Morons and griz fans

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

six--man
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by six--man » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:16 am

Bruggman left the program in preseason. I heard they are grooming a tall qb from Oregon for 2018. Maybe he and Murray could split duty- use Murray as a wildcat