I hope Rovig . . .

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: I hope Rovig . . .

Post by LIBBYCAT » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Heretoinstigate. All must be right in Gritzville if your over here again.
Rovig seems like a standup kid, in all likelyhood will stand by his commitment due to the opportunity being presented.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:23 pm

It's a great day to be a Griz troll.

It's highly unlikely that Rovig will be ready to start here next fall.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:28 pm

The griz could use some player on defense and a new defensive coordinator!!!!

Mark my words

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jdevries » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:34 pm

Here2inform wrote:Rovig won't ever be a Bobcat. Mark my words!
He'll compete to start here in year 1. That's pretty good motivation for a young kid. Who else is offering him that.

Bobcat For Life
Last edited by jdevries on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Football games are won at the LOS

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:02 pm

TomCat88 wrote:It's a great day to be a Griz troll.

I disagree. Murray will be moved to WR, and we'll bring in another QB to compete with Rovig, but I see the kind of QB in him that the Coach wants to play and run his style of offense. The only way he doesn't start is if the transfer wins the competition between the two based on experience. IMO!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:06 pm

Here2inform wrote:Rovig won't ever be a Bobcat. Mark my words!
:roll:
Thanks for your insight!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:49 pm

catsrback76 wrote:

I disagree. Murray will be moved to WR, and we'll bring in another QB to compete with Rovig, but I see the kind of QB in him that the Coach wants to play and run his style of offense. The only way he doesn't start is if the transfer wins the competition between the two based on experience. IMO!

I don't know about Murray to wide receiver, but I agree on the other stuff. There has to be an experienced drop down or JC transfer QB brought in next year. I can't believe Choate will put next years team in the hands of another freshman quarterback or rely sole on Murray and Bruggman again.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:05 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:Is ready to start next season. Bruggman is insanely terrible and Messingham has no clue what he is doing with Murray. I still believe Murray can be special and am disappointed we pulled him out, but as many have mentioned Rovig is the QB that Choate wants and I hope he can come in ready to compete in August. . . Wouldn't mind another play-caller on offense either. Messingham is WAYYY out of his league here.
We have another QB on the team right now but evidentially he is irreplaceable at his current position of signaling in the plays from the sideline.
For the life of me, I can't understand why Choate hasn't given Folsom or McChesney a chance at QB. They couldn't possibly be worse than what we've gotten from Bruggman and Murray, could they? If they're really that bad, then I hope Folsom does well as a safety, because neither one of them should/will ever play QB for us. Although Messingham also deserves some of the blame for the poor QB play, especially with Murray.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:42 am

catsrback76 wrote:

Rovig, based on what I've seen and digested is two years away from starting at a BSC school.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:14 am

TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Rovig, based on what I've seen and digested is two years away from starting at a BSC school.
So is Murray, though. So, what does Choate do?

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:56 am

91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

So is Murray, though. So, what does Choate do?

Good point. There is no easy solution, that's for sure. No matter how ya slice it, the cats are a couple years away from getting solid QB play (most likely).

It will be interesting to see how Choate handles this in the offseason, maybe a transfer or dropdown?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:03 am

I would be shocked if we didn't look to get a drop down QB.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:22 am

bobcat99 wrote:I would be shocked if we didn't look to get a drop down QB.

So, do you tell Bruggman to hit the road? Seems pointless to keep him on scholarship if he isn't producing and you are now trying to find someone to replace him.

Punters are people too!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:40 am

GoCats18 wrote:

So, do you tell Bruggman to hit the road? Seems pointless to keep him on scholarship if he isn't producing and you are now trying to find someone to replace him.
I don't think they will cut any of next years SR's. Some might decide to "retire" though.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:05 am

Along a similar line, seeing how our strength and conditioning was lacking at all levels, does Wilcox stay or does Choate make a change?

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:10 am

Hawks86 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:

I don't think they will cut any of next years SR's. Some might decide to "retire" though.
I'm not sure Bruggman is even a backup quarterback in the BSC. And how bad do Folsom and McChesney have to be in order to not see the field. We went into the offseason last year with what looked like 2 legit young starters (Folsom & Hoy) then added a star recruit in Murray (who was also recruited by EWOO) and a 4 star JC dropdown in Bruggman. Even with Prukop graduating, QB should have been a position of strength.

Tough times ahead at QB.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:15 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:Along a similar line, seeing how our strength and conditioning was lacking at all levels, does Wilcox stay or does Choate make a change?
I have met Wilcox and watch some of his videos. He seems like a good strength coach to me. You can't coach heart and you can't make anyone work for it so IF their is a strength problem it could just as easily be a player issue vs. a coach issue. We also are a very small team and strength goes with size. That's why there are so many weight classes in power lifting. I would hire or replace the nutritionist before I would change the strength coach!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:18 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:Along a similar line, seeing how our strength and conditioning was lacking at all levels, does Wilcox stay or does Choate make a change?
Didn't Wilcox train these kids for that up tempo offense? I am no expert, but wouldn't it take more than one off season to turn that around? As for conditioning, I think the lack of depth hurts us there more than anything. Hope to hear from some of the posters who know more about this.

I think Murray starts next year and Bruggman backs him up with Rovig redshirting unless he is lights out better at picking up the playbook and being able to read defenses. It will be fun to see.

Thanks Gtapp
Last edited by canyoncat on Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

GO CATS!!!

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:19 am

gtapp wrote:
I have met Wilcox and watch some of his videos. He seems like a good strength coach to me. You can't coach heart and you can't make anyone work for it so IF their is a strength problem it could just as easily be a player issue vs. a coach issue. We also are a very small team and strength goes with size. That's why there are so many weight classes in power lifting.
That's fair, but the results speak volumes. We are undersized. I agree with that. But there's no denying we are VERY weak in lower body strength on lines with the exception of Brownlow.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:25 am

Wilcox is the head of S&C for all sports. It wouldn't be Choates decision. I guess he could try and talk Costello into hiring a new full time football S&C coach?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."