Montana State University names Kyle Brennan new athletics di

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

Montana State University names Kyle Brennan new athletics di

Post by kmax » Mon May 02, 2016 11:31 am

Montana State University has hired Kyle Brennan, deputy athletic director at the University of Utah, as its next athletic director, the university announced today. Brennan will begin his duties no later than July 1.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
Last edited by kmax on Wed May 11, 2016 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Kyle Brennan - New MSU AD

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:39 am

It does. Thanks. Press conference at 1:30.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:43 am

A nice selection! He was my number 2, but no crying here. Welcome Kyle to BOBCAT Nation...now get to work!!! :lol:

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:53 am

Just copying my post from the other thread.

"We need to be excellent at everything we do." - a quote from Kyle Brennan

This is kind of a cliched quote but it is a mindset that can transform an athletic department if followed through correctly. What does being excellent at everything mean to me? It means making sure the smallest details are performed 100%. For example, small things like our athletic website never finishing a number countdown prior to the season starting or how we seemed to be behind the eight ball on how we introduced our recruits this year (other programs just looked like they put in more effort). If you want to grow programs (not just football), you have to go that extra mile with the small details to make the bigger product look great. Kyle also made the best statement about how engaged the athletic department must be with the Bozeman community. As Kyle put it, if the program wants to ask for funding from the community, the athletic department needs to first give back as much as possible. So in other words, being excellent at everything you do. I'm excited for this hire!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon May 02, 2016 12:12 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Just copying my post from the other thread.

"We need to be excellent at everything we do." - a quote from Kyle Brennan

This is kind of a cliched quote but it is a mindset that can transform an athletic department if followed through correctly. What does being excellent at everything mean to me? It means making sure the smallest details are performed 100%. For example, small things like our athletic website never finishing a number countdown prior to the season starting or how we seemed to be behind the eight ball on how we introduced our recruits this year (other programs just looked like they put in more effort). If you want to grow programs (not just football), you have to go that extra mile with the small details to make the bigger product look great. Kyle also made the best statement about how engaged the athletic department must be with the Bozeman community. As Kyle put it, if the program wants to ask for funding from the community, the athletic department needs to first give back as much as possible. So in other words, being excellent at everything you do. I'm excited for this hire!
I like it too. How you do anything is how you do everything.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Mon May 02, 2016 12:21 pm

I'm excited to have him here. I have no doubt that he will make us better as an institution with our facilities, and I fully expect that we will not settle for mediocrity on the football field, basketball court, or anywhere in between. I have no doubt that the product put out by MSU will be outstanding.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon May 02, 2016 1:23 pm

He kind of looks like Dale Jr....

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Mon May 02, 2016 1:56 pm

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:15 pm

My sense is that Everyone, especially boosters and fans, is going to have to raise the level of their game with this guy.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:36 pm

From the Gazette:
“We really need to take a look at our facilities,” he said. “I know there’s a lot of opportunity there with an indoor football facility, maybe an academic center, a weight room … we’re going to take a look at our facilities and get on that right away.

“It’s going to take money. It’s going to take a community effort. For me, it means getting engaged, not just in this community but nationally as well.

“It’s going to take a lot of hard work, and we’re going to start right away getting after those people. They should be ready for me to come calling, because I’m going to ask.”

toM StUber

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:49 pm

Welcome, now let's get to work on the East Side bleachers!!

Punters are people too!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon May 02, 2016 4:57 pm

But does he start work before or after 6 AM?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon May 02, 2016 5:01 pm

WATCH: President Waded Cruzado introduces new athletic director Kyle Brennan
http://skylinesportsmt.com/cruzado-on-brennan/

WATCH: New Montana State athletic director addresses the public for the first time
http://skylinesportsmt.com/brennan-addr ... irst-time/

WATCH: New Montana State AD Kyle Brennan addresses the Montana media for the first time
http://skylinesportsmt.com/brennan-addresses-the-media/

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon May 02, 2016 10:38 pm

I'm thinking Dennis Erickson's endorsement put him over the top.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon May 02, 2016 11:33 pm

Brennan picked to lead Montana State athletics
http://skylinesportsmt.com/brennan-picked-as-msu-ad/

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 03, 2016 8:05 am

Coolest part of the story...

Former Montana State quarterback and assistant football coach Dennis Erickson is now the running backs coach on Kyle Whittingham’s staff at Utah. Erickson forged a relationship with the whole Brennan family during their time in Salt Lake City, particularly with Brennan’s middle son, Mac. The nine-year-old has battled leukemia the last few years and Erickson took him under his wing during the illness. Mac is now clear of the illness.

“Dennis has been a great family friend,” Brennan said. “My son, Mac, battled leukemia and Dennis was so good to him. He took him to practice every day, had him help be an assistant coach. He called me when I got this job and said, ‘We are in trouble now. We don’t have Coach Mac.’ He really encouraged me to look at this job because he is so proud of this place and it’s near and dear to his heart.”

...gave me goose bumps.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:55 am

iaafan wrote:Coolest part of the story...

Former Montana State quarterback and assistant football coach Dennis Erickson is now the running backs coach on Kyle Whittingham’s staff at Utah. Erickson forged a relationship with the whole Brennan family during their time in Salt Lake City, particularly with Brennan’s middle son, Mac. The nine-year-old has battled leukemia the last few years and Erickson took him under his wing during the illness. Mac is now clear of the illness.

“Dennis has been a great family friend,” Brennan said. “My son, Mac, battled leukemia and Dennis was so good to him. He took him to practice every day, had him help be an assistant coach. He called me when I got this job and said, ‘We are in trouble now. We don’t have Coach Mac.’ He really encouraged me to look at this job because he is so proud of this place and it’s near and dear to his heart.”

...gave me goose bumps.
Great article on Mac. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... tml?pg=all

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:24 am

So was he our first choice?

And was he our first choice going into the interviews?

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Tue May 03, 2016 9:33 am

bobcat99 wrote:So was he our first choice?

I'm just guessing, :shrug: but as quickly as it was announced after the interviews, I'd guess that he was (otherwise the rejection from our first choice and subsequent negotiations went very quickly). There doesn't seem to be any indication that any of the other candidates changed their mind and pulled out after the interviews.

But ultimately, who cares - he seems like a very good choice and he's a Bobcat now.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:35 am

bobcat99 wrote:So was he our first choice?

You would have to ask the members of the committee. Nobody formerly dropped out after the interviews. So, I'm confident that he was the first choice after the interviews.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."