2017 MSU Recruiting (35 Commits)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2017 MSU Recruiting (18 Verbals)

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:37 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:In-state recruiting war in full swing for Cats, Griz
http://skylinesportsmt.com/in-state-rec ... grizzlies/
Is it really a war? Most in-state players end up going to the school they've always rooted for. Most of the rest go to the school offering their desired degree. The coaches make strong efforts, but it usually boils down to those two factors when the dust settles. They're aren't too many players that don't fit into one of those categories.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:29 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Is it really a war? Most in-state players end up going to the school they've always rooted for. Most of the rest go to the school offering their desired degree. The coaches make strong efforts, but it usually boils down to those two factors when the dust settles. They're aren't too many players that don't fit into one of those categories.
The story states all those things. Poor headline.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:09 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Seems like the true "battles" these days are over the PWO kids and its between all of Montana. If the kids get a scholarship offer from the school they are a fan of, they are going to take it and go there about 95% of the time. But convincing a kid to take the risk of walking on to a FCS school because of their potential instead of taking a full-ride from a Frontier school is a tough proposition in certain situations. There also is that fine line between "can we get these kids with only a PWO offer because they want to go to our school" or "do we have to offer a partial to compete for them". Let's put it this way, if a kid like Luke Gonsioroski only receives a PWO offer from both in-state schools, the school that gets him will be getting the equivalent of a 1st round draft pick going in the 4th round.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:22 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Seems like the true "battles" these days are over the PWO kids and its between all of Montana. If the kids get a scholarship offer from the school they are a fan of, they are going to take it and go there about 95% of the time. But convincing a kid to take the risk of walking on to a FCS school because of their potential instead of taking a full-ride from a Frontier school is a tough proposition in certain situations.
Am I wrong, or did Nate Dick come from a predominant MSU family?

The majority of Brady Gustafson's family I am familiar with were Cat fans.

So there definitely seems to be a flux of swayable athletes. The question would be where in the process and age of the athlete that the biggest difference is made?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:32 pm

kwcat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Seems like the true "battles" these days are over the PWO kids and its between all of Montana. If the kids get a scholarship offer from the school they are a fan of, they are going to take it and go there about 95% of the time. But convincing a kid to take the risk of walking on to a FCS school because of their potential instead of taking a full-ride from a Frontier school is a tough proposition in certain situations.

So there definitely seems to be a flux of swayable athletes. The question would be where in the process and age of the athlete that the biggest difference is made?
Gustafson received no offer from Montana State. He would have likely come to the Bobcats but the former staff never expressed any interest in him.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:34 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
kwcat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Gustafson received no offer from Montana State. He would have likely come to the Bobcats but the former staff never expressed any interest in him.
Same year we landed Dakota Prukop.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:49 pm

" Gustafson received no offer from Montana State. He would have likely come to the Bobcats but the former staff never expressed any interest in him. "

"Same year we landed Dakota Prukop."

Right. Brady didn't fit our parameters at the time. And of course Dakota, as good as his film looked, was an unknown until he won the QB battle.

Nonetheless, Colter , I do agree with your article title. Some kids are "dyed in the wool". Others are swayable. The question would be when is that decision made?

On another note, I ran into a Yellowstone County area coach this weekend. He commented on my MSU shirt and made it clear he was a Missoula fan. He then went onto
commenting on how well MSU has performed as of late in the recruiting game. He couldn't say enough positive about BJ for one. He also commented that if Choate can fit the last piece of the puzzle, an offense, Montana State will be a force.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:07 pm

Fairly certain that Nate Dick's family is Griz.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:11 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Fairly certain that Nate Dick's family is Griz.
Tom, I may have that wrong thus the question mark. A poster here had said that there was plenty of Cat gear that wouldn't be worn in that household any longer.
I also wondered how much influence came with the Demming friendships. No actual knowledge on my part.

bcats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcats » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:32 pm

Nate Dick's Family were not Griz fans. That I am sure has changed. If he plays for the Ravens later on it might be harder to convert from the Black and Gold.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Just my opinion-- Byron Stulc

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:48 pm

bcats wrote:Nate Dick's Family were not Griz fans. That I am sure has changed. If he plays for the Ravens later on it might be harder to convert from the Black and Gold.
What do you think were Nate's deciding factors on Missoula?

rollo_tumasi
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by rollo_tumasi » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:09 pm

MSU was not as active as many believe on Nate. In fact his family was kind of confused with how he was treated on one of his visits(this was 2nd hand info, but a very good source!). I really do believe his relationship with the Deming Brothers was the deal maker in the end.

I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.'

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:23 pm

[quote="rollo_tumasi"]MSU was not as active as many believe on Nate. In fact his family was kind of confused with how he was treated on one of his visits(this was 2nd hand info, but a very good source!). I really do believe his relationship with the Deming Brothers was the deal maker in the end.[/quote]

How was he treated?

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:11 pm

rollo_tumasi wrote:MSU was not as active as many believe on Nate. In fact his family was kind of confused with how he was treated on one of his visits(this was 2nd hand info, but a very good source!). I really do believe his relationship with the Deming Brothers was the deal maker in the end.

This is what I gathered with the small amount of information I had as well. (and all second and third hand.)

Thought he would've made a good, shifty, tough slot if qb wouldn't have worked out.

Sounds like we did offer a partial, but maybe we didn't pursue him very hard for whatever reason.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:03 pm

New boom from 406 according to BJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:07 pm

wbtfg wrote:New boom from 406 according to BJ.
yeah, that was a particularly animated and colorful Boom. Did we steal The Griz's Dick back?

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:08 pm

How many players ultimate decision comes down to where their buddies are going? Seems unusual that his final decision comes down that, for a partial scholarship?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:20 pm

It simply came down to the fact that he liked Monte more than Champ. Thanks alot Champ. :twisted:

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:25 pm

Monte bats the other way.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2017 MSU Recruiting (19 Verbals)

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:14 am

Added Peyton!