2017 MSU Recruiting (35 Commits)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: 2017 MSU Recruiting (32 Commits)

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:54 pm

dayday wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:From AJ Mazzolni Twitter:
Minnesota grants Whitefish javeliner Luke May release to transfer. He'll play FB in MT but hasnt decided on Cats or Griz, his dad tells me
It's a done deal. He's coming to Bozeman.
Yesterday you were sure it was the Griz.... Sounds like Mr. May hasn't quite made up his mind not sure it sounds definitive to say done deal.

I guess you didn't get the same two phone calls I did.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:36 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
dayday wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:From AJ Mazzolni Twitter:
Minnesota grants Whitefish javeliner Luke May release to transfer. He'll play FB in MT but hasnt decided on Cats or Griz, his dad tells me
It's a done deal. He's coming to Bozeman.
Yesterday you were sure it was the Griz.... Sounds like Mr. May hasn't quite made up his mind not sure it sounds definitive to say done deal.

I guess you didn't get the same two phone calls I did.
Thrilled to have him - guessing QB? Our QB situation is not great ... 5 guys and all are sophomore or younger, only one has ever played in a game :shock:
Chris Murray, So.
Brady McChensey, So.
Kamden Brown, Fr.
Tucker Rovig, Fr.
Luke May, Fr. (plus hasn't played football in a year)

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: 2017 MSU Recruiting (28 Commits)

Post by arvcat2 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:11 am

arvcat2 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:When I have some downtime, I'll release my individual ranking on this class with opinions on strengths and weaknesses for each prospect. I won't include the transfers. For a teaser, here is my Top 5:

1) Jalen Cole
2) Zach Redd
3) Tucker Rovig
4) Tyrel Thomas
5) Travis Yates

Yeah, I think Zach Redd is really, really good.
1-Troy Anderson Total package of speed, size, smarts & Montana work ethic.
2-Sean Hatten Great Hudl video & pic of him with his yuuge :shock: Dad during his recruiting visit.
3-Jalen Cole The 3-Star thingy.
4-Taden Gillman Just a fantastic all around athlete with pedigree, pedigree & more pedigree. With an inch or more height closer to his Dad....look out!
5-Zach Redd Following the crowd here :wink:
With the Montana all-star games in the books & preseason camp a few weeks away, I am liking my top 5 2017 recruits. This fall, I predict Anderson & Cole will make the two deep and will vie for starting positions. Gillman is too good to redshirt and will be a major contributor on special teams. Hatten & Redd will redshirt and be huge forces in the coming years.

bgskyfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bgskyfan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:22 pm

All I would add is the players that are already practicing and working out with the team for the past 4 or 5 weeks are there for a reason I would guess. Thomas-2 Star, Jalen Cole-3 Star, Travis Yates-3 Star, Keaton Anderson, Rovig.....my guess would be they are potentially being viewed as contributors this year. Fall camp will dictate that but in most programs kids that come up early are usually the ones they think can play early. Just a guess though.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:38 am

Sorry Vim. No rest for you. Ya gotta add Leota to the list. Huge class - 33.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2017 MSU Recruiting (28 Commits)

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:21 am

arvcat2 wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:When I have some downtime, I'll release my individual ranking on this class with opinions on strengths and weaknesses for each prospect. I won't include the transfers. For a teaser, here is my Top 5:

1) Jalen Cole
2) Zach Redd
3) Tucker Rovig
4) Tyrel Thomas
5) Travis Yates

Yeah, I think Zach Redd is really, really good.
1-Troy Anderson Total package of speed, size, smarts & Montana work ethic.
2-Sean Hatten Great Hudl video & pic of him with his yuuge :shock: Dad during his recruiting visit.
3-Jalen Cole The 3-Star thingy.
4-Taden Gillman Just a fantastic all around athlete with pedigree, pedigree & more pedigree. With an inch or more height closer to his Dad....look out!
5-Zach Redd Following the crowd here :wink:
With the Montana all-star games in the books & preseason camp a few weeks away, I am liking my top 5 2017 recruits. This fall, I predict Anderson & Cole will make the two deep and will vie for starting positions. Gillman is too good to redshirt and will be a major contributor on special teams. Hatten & Redd will redshirt and be huge forces in the coming years.

Not that I disagree with your top 5, those guys all look great...

I have a feeling though that the "hidden gem" in this class is going to turn out to be Lance McCutcheon.

it was posted in another thread or twitter or somewhere, but recently Choate basically said he is already planning on Lance being in the initial 2 deep/depth chart this year. Another one of those many Montana kids, that if they were to grow up anywhere else but MT, they probably would have been a 2 or 3 star prospect. Size/Speed/Athletic... excited to see what this guy can do.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:11 am

TomCat88 wrote:Sorry Vim. No rest for you. Ya gotta add Leota to the list. Huge class - 33.
List is actually at 35. Added Luke May as a transfer, Kapili Livingston (WR) as a walk-on, and Leota.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2017 MSU Recruiting (35 Commits)

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:05 pm

Missoula Loyola ATH Jacob Byrne will be another walk-on in 2017. The former Ram is a 5'11", 170 lb. RB/WR/SS so he identifies as an athlete in my opinion. I'm guessing he's going to get a shot at RB but he could develop as a slot WR or a defensive back. He's got 11.2 100M dash speed so he's fast enough for the FCS. Was All-State in 2016 for the Class B runner-up. A "try-hard" kid who gives max effort and has decent wiggle with the football in his hands.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:53 pm

https://twitter.com/SlimKimmel/status/902689351921836032

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Hawks86 wrote:https://twitter.com/SlimKimmel/status/902689351921836032
Never made it to camp. Heard he will try out track. I'll try to confirm.