Montana Recruits 2017

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SonomaCat

Re: Montana Recruits 2017

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:03 pm

Merlin wrote:Out of 50 kids this group is watching, maybe 5 are worth grabbing. I am sorry to offend, but MSU will never win a national championship with Montana players. It is time to get real, I am tired of this school loosing for keeping sentimental values. It is time to win, keep the good ones and move on. NDSU did not build a number one team on local talent. Get over it, if you want an NAIA team root for one but don't hold MSU back. Winning brings in money, it is time!!! :-({|=
I'm pretty sure the coaches doing the recruiting understand the recruiting game a lot better than you do. None of them are recruiting for sentimental reasons -- they are recruiting to win.

The basic formula is this:

You try to get the best players possible from out of state, but the cost to sign each out of state player is relatively high (lower change of landing a recruit to a school so far from home, out of state tuition, travel costs, increased competition for those same recruits, etc.).

You also try to get the best players possible from Montana, and you fill in your roster with as many local players as possible (as they are far less expensive to recruit and sign -- and they also have marketing appeal).

If MSU had an unlimited budget and unlimited appeal to recruits they would recruit like Notre Dame or Stanford and pull players from all corners of the country. But that's not our reality, so we need to use our recruiting dollars in the most efficient way possible ... just like 100% of FCS programs and 90% of FBS programs.

As an aside, NDSU does build their program on local talent. If you look at their roster you will notice that a vast majority of their recruits are from within 300 miles of their campus. In fact, MSU's roster is already weighted far more heavily on recruits from far away from Bozeman (non-local) than NDSU.

Merlin
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Merlin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:35 pm

tdub wrote:
Merlin wrote:Out of 50 kids this group is watching, maybe 5 are worth grabbing. I am sorry to offend, but MSU will never win a national championship with all Montana players. It is time to get real, I am tired of this school loosing for keeping sentimental values. It is time to win, keep the good ones and move on. NDSU did not build a number one team on local talent. Get over it, if you want an NAIA team root for one but don't hold MSU back. Winning brings in money, it is time!!! :-({|=
I'm sure the griz sure thought that about Mariani, Anderson, Reynolds, Hilliard, etc., etc., etc. The Cats should've passed up on Fletcher, Person, Schreibeis, Daly, all the Bignells, etc....

And of course they won't win a championship with JUST Montana players. But an NAIA team they are not. So time to unveil yourself, griz fan. You're fooling no one.

.....and why is your only other post wondering why MSU wasn't after MONTANA boy Dane Warp?
I just come to look at how delusional some of the fans are. Recruiting the top 10 players from Montana, MSU might get 5, maybe. If MSU was all Montana players they would never win a national championship. Show me one NAIA Montana team that could compete at the D1 level. If they recruit 5 top players every year over 10 years that's 50 players a good percentage to move on up would be 20% or 10 players to the NFL that's 1 a year.
So eventually, yes you will see talent but not a National Championship team level. (Big Sky Conference title means nothing if you can't compete beyond that) I root for both teams, degrees from both schools and I was involved in Bobcat athletics for 4 years. Just stating the facts, now bring out all the bobcat hate.
Last edited by Merlin on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:52 pm

Well no sh#t if MSU had 100 Montana players on the roster with literally no non-Montanan players on the roster, we would never win a NC.

I'm not sure what your agenda is here. Are you claiming MSU won't win on Montana kids alone? This is obvious, you won't get any arguments.

Are you saying MSU should avoid Montana players completely? You won't find a single person that agrees with you.

Are you saying MSU spends too much time and effort recruiting Montana for a minimal return on investment?

Are you saying MSU gives scholarships to Montana kids that should go to out of state players?

I'm glad you don't work in MSU Athletics anymore.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:09 pm

CelticCat wrote:Well no sh#t if MSU had 100 Montana players on the roster with literally no non-Montanan players on the roster, we would never win a NC.

I'm not sure what your agenda is here. Are you claiming MSU won't win on Montana kids alone? This is obvious, you won't get any arguments.

Are you saying MSU should avoid Montana players completely? You won't find a single person that agrees with you.

Are you saying MSU spends too much time and effort recruiting Montana for a minimal return on investment?

Are you saying MSU gives scholarships to Montana kids that should go to out of state players?

I'm glad you don't work in MSU Athletics anymore.
I think he's saying Coach Bill Stiff basically insulting every in-state player while coach of the Arizona Grizzlies as being unworthy of the money MSU gives them is the way to win championships. Will UM schedule a home game in Glendale within a few years? That's if the school is still open, of course.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:33 pm

Four Montana kids started on offense last year:

Chad Newell (Third Team All-Big Sky)
Joel Horn (HM All-Big Sky)
John Weidenaar (First Team All-Big Sky)
Kyle Godecke

Four Montana kids started on defense last year:

Connor Thomas
Mac Bignell (HM All-Big Sky) - on half scholarship in 2015
Grant Collins
Tre'Von Strong - on less than half scholarship in 2015

Two on special teams:

Luke Daly (HM All-Big Sky)
Logan Jones (HM All-Big Sky) - a preferred walk-on in 2015

This just proves my point that Montana kids are not hurting the program and are actually helping it because the depth that came in was quality depth:

Tucker Yates - DT
Nate Bignell - DT
Dylan Mahoney - OL
Caleb Gillis - OL
Monte Folsom - OL
Gunnar Brekke - RB
Manny Kalfell - WR
Austin Barth - TE
Trace Timmer - CB

These players all graded out well as backups. It was actually our out-of-state kids who struggled when called upon in starting and backup roles more often than our Montana kids. I'll say this one more time, our out-of-state recruiting needs to become more efficient under Choate.

As for recent scholarship allocation between in and out of state kids, lets take a look. In 2015's recruiting class, MSU signed 29 players. Scholarship allocation? 17 scholarships went to out-of-state kids and one, Brandon Brown, walked-on as a transfer receiver. Out of the 11 Montana players, about 3.5 scholarships went to 6 of the kids. The rest accepted walk-on offers. Since it looks like you know how to do math, 17/20.5 = 83% of scholarship dollars went towards out-of-state kids in the 2015 recruiting class. In 2016, we have given 7.5 scholarships to 10 Montana kids...because they are good players who project as quality players their respective positions at the FCS level.
Recruiting the top 10 players from Montana, MSU might get 5, maybe.
We arguably got 7 of the 10 best Montana prospects in 2016's recruiting class so I guess that statement goes out the window. If you want to debate that, start by stating actual facts (game film, competition, postseason accolades) instead of useless statements that paint you as a (insert bad word here).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:39 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Four Montana kids started on offense last year:

Kyle Godecke

Connor Thomas
Grant Collins

Two on special teams:

This just proves my point that Montana kids are not hurting the program and are actually helping it because the depth that came in was quality depth:

Tucker Yates - DT
Nate Bignell - DT
Dylan Mahoney - OL
Caleb Gillis - OL
Monte Folsom - OL
Gunnar Brekke - RB
Manny Kalfell - WR
Austin Barth - TE
Trace Timmer - CB

These players all graded out well as backups. It was actually our out-of-state kids who struggled when called upon in starting and backup roles more often than our Montana kids. I'll say this one more time, our out-of-state recruiting needs to become more efficient under Choate.

As for recent scholarship allocation between in and out of state kids, lets take a look. In 2015's recruiting class, MSU signed 29 players. Scholarship allocation? 17 scholarships went to out-of-state kids and one, Brandon Brown, walked-on as a transfer receiver. Out of the 11 Montana players, about 3.5 scholarships went to 6 of the kids. The rest accepted walk-on offers. Since it looks like you know how to do math, 17/20.5 = 83% of scholarship dollars went towards out-of-state kids in the 2015 recruiting class. In 2016, we have given 7.5 scholarships to 10 Montana kids...because they are good players who project as quality players their respective positions at the FCS level.
We arguably got 7 of the 10 best Montana prospects in 2016's recruiting class so I guess that statement goes out the window. If you want to debate that, start by stating actual facts (game film, competition, postseason accolades) instead of useless statements that paint you as a (insert bad word here).
Of the Montana players that received full offers from MSU and UM, 100% came to MSU

IYAACYAS

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:44 pm

CPACAT wrote:

Kyle Godecke

Connor Thomas
Grant Collins

Two on special teams:

Tucker Yates - DT
Nate Bignell - DT
Dylan Mahoney - OL
Caleb Gillis - OL
Monte Folsom - OL
Gunnar Brekke - RB
Manny Kalfell - WR
Austin Barth - TE
Trace Timmer - CB

Of the Montana players that received full offers from MSU and UM, 100% came to MSU
Jed Nagler was offered a full by both and went to UM so off by one.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:02 pm

At what point, when you're contemplating the effect of in-state players on the possibility of winning a national championship, do you suddenly stop and laugh at yourself for wasting your life by thinking about something so trivial? Wow.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:27 pm

Merlin is nuts. I seem to recall 2 guys from Montana that had the Griz in contention for NCs for several years. Selle and Mariani? And I haven't looked it up but I'm sure more MT kids started for that team those few years. The argument is just dumb, and obviously Merlin didn't have anything better to do than post garbage. Regardless of the class a guy played in high school or what his accolades are, it's exciting, and usually good for the team by the end of his career when we sign a local kid. And I would argue that the best MT kids from a 5 year period on the same team could compete for a NC.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:42 pm

Kyle Godecke

Connor Thomas
Grant Collins

Two on special teams:

Tucker Yates - DT
Nate Bignell - DT
Dylan Mahoney - OL
Caleb Gillis - OL
Monte Folsom - OL
Gunnar Brekke - RB
Manny Kalfell - WR
Austin Barth - TE
Trace Timmer - CB

Where's the mike-drop-walk-off emoji?!? =D^

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:02 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:Merlin is nuts. I seem to recall 2 guys from Montana that had the Griz in contention for NCs for several years. Selle and Mariani? And I haven't looked it up but I'm sure more MT kids started for that team those few years. The argument is just dumb, and obviously Merlin didn't have anything better to do than post garbage. Regardless of the class a guy played in high school or what his accolades are, it's exciting, and usually good for the team by the end of his career when we sign a local kid. And I would argue that the best MT kids from a 5 year period on the same team could compete for a NC.
The two NCAA titles UM has won were both quarterbacked by players from Montana and those teams had a huge Montana presence at many positions.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:04 pm

PapaG wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:Merlin is nuts. I seem to recall 2 guys from Montana that had the Griz in contention for NCs for several years. Selle and Mariani? And I haven't looked it up but I'm sure more MT kids started for that team those few years. The argument is just dumb, and obviously Merlin didn't have anything better to do than post garbage. Regardless of the class a guy played in high school or what his accolades are, it's exciting, and usually good for the team by the end of his career when we sign a local kid. And I would argue that the best MT kids from a 5 year period on the same team could compete for a NC.
The two NCAA titles UM has won were both quarterbacked by players from Montana and those teams had a huge Montana presence at many positions.
Exactly. I was just referencing the recent past.

Merlin
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Merlin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:11 am

lutecat wrote:
Merlin wrote:Out of 50 kids this group is watching, maybe 5 are worth grabbing. I am sorry to offend, but MSU will never win a national championship with all Montana players. It is time to get real, I am tired of this school loosing for keeping sentimental values. It is time to win, keep the good ones and move on. NDSU did not build a number one team on local talent. Get over it, if you want an NAIA team root for one but don't hold MSU back. Winning brings in money, it is time!!! :-({|=
Local for ndsu is MN too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Compare in context, NDSU is North Dakota, not MN. You are comparing apples to oranges, also MN has 774 high schools to develop football players. Geographically there is 15 high schools within 5 mile radius, just to compete and be noticed at that level you would have to be a rock star. MSU should also be recruiting for those athletes, among other big states.

Merlin
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Merlin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:14 am

tdub wrote:
I'm sure the griz sure thought that about Mariani, Anderson, Reynolds, Hilliard, etc., etc., etc. The Cats should've passed up on Fletcher, Person, Schreibeis, Daly, all the Bignells, etc....

And of course they won't win a championship with JUST Montana players. But an NAIA team they are not. So time to unveil yourself, griz fan. You're fooling no one.

.....and why is your only other post wondering why MSU wasn't after MONTANA boy Dane Warp?
Dane was ranked by ESPN as Montana's number 1 recruit, but I am sure they missed something.

Merlin
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Merlin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:22 am

SonomaCat wrote:
I'm pretty sure the coaches doing the recruiting understand the recruiting game a lot better than you do. None of them are recruiting for sentimental reasons -- they are recruiting to win.

The basic formula is this:

You try to get the best players possible from out of state, but the cost to sign each out of state player is relatively high (lower change of landing a recruit to a school so far from home, out of state tuition, travel costs, increased competition for those same recruits, etc.).

You also try to get the best players possible from Montana, and you fill in your roster with as many local players as possible (as they are far less expensive to recruit and sign -- and they also have marketing appeal).

If MSU had an unlimited budget and unlimited appeal to recruits they would recruit like Notre Dame or Stanford and pull players from all corners of the country. But that's not our reality, so we need to use our recruiting dollars in the most efficient way possible ... just like 100% of FCS programs and 90% of FBS programs.

As an aside, NDSU does build their program on local talent. If you look at their roster you will notice that a vast majority of their recruits are from within 300 miles of their campus. In fact, MSU's roster is already weighted far more heavily on recruits from far away from Bozeman (non-local) than NDSU.
My statement was suppose to be about all Montana players, and your statement about local is sub par considering the population of MN is over 5 million with 774 high schools, and there is 15 high schools within a 5 mile area. So based on your 300 miles statement, how many high school kids do they get to pick from? Just saying if MSU were to rely on MT Kids to bring home the national title, that more than likely would not happen.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:25 am

Merlin wrote:
tdub wrote:

Dane was ranked by ESPN as Montana's number 1 recruit, but I am sure they missed something.
and Dane isn't even going to play D1 football so, I guess in your opinion all the rest were NAIA players :roll: Give it a rest man, talk sh*t about Montana Kids is about a low as it gets. Makes you look like Booby Stitt.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:34 am

MSU should also be recruiting for those athletes, among other big states.
MSU actively recruits Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin. Gregorak and Messingham both are recruiting in that area and Jason McEndoo recruited there for years. They offer many from those states each year. And when you say other big states.....California, Texas, and Washington ring a bell?
For context when it comes to Scout, ESPN, Rivals, and 247Sports, the only way they know about a Montana player is if they show up to a large high school camp during the summer. They do not have any scouts getting information or watching tape in the state. They simply are throwing darts. Some of the greatest players to ever play in the state over the last five years don't even show up on these sites. If you follow ESPN for Montana high school recruiting information, you are indeed missing something. Dane is a fine football player and I would've liked to see him play football for the Cats or the Griz. However, you are hammering MSU for missing on a recruit that every other FCS school (other than Dartmouth - his only known FCS offer) also did not offer. Why didn't the lord almighty, Bob Stitt, offer Dane? They already had a QB recruit in Gresch Jensen? Well that didn't stop them from signing two more after Gresch Jensen verballed to them in August. Maybe you should go over to Egriz and voice your displeasure on the Griz missing out on Warp. You say you cheer for both teams so go and get passionate over there to keep it even.

In the meantime, keep puffing that pipe Merlin.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:55 am

VimSince03 wrote:In the meantime, keep puffing that pipe Merlin.

:rofl:

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:00 am

Merlin wrote:
lutecat wrote:

Compare in context, NDSU is North Dakota, not MN. You are comparing apples to oranges, also MN has 774 high schools to develop football players. Geographically there is 15 high schools within 5 mile radius, just to compete and be noticed at that level you would have to be a rock star. MSU should also be recruiting for those athletes, among other big states.
It's not apples to oranges. Last I checked, the NDSU is in the Fargo/Moorhead area. Moorhead, if you didn't know, is in MN. Thus their fanbase encompasses the state of MN as well. Are we done yet, Badlands?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:14 am

lutecat wrote:
Merlin wrote:
lutecat wrote:

It's not apples to oranges. Last I checked, the NDSU is in the Fargo/Moorhead area. Moorhead, if you didn't know, is in MN. Thus their fanbase encompasses the state of MN as well. Are we done yet, Badlands?
To defend Merlin here, he is right about the population difference. There are about 230,000 people in the Fargo/Moorhead area alone. That is about the same size as Missoula, Billings, Great Falls, and Bozeman combined. When it comes down to it, I just simply disagree with how Merlin views Montana recruiting. That is all.