Bobcats Add Transfers Under Center and in Interior O-Line

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

Bobcats Add Transfers Under Center and in Interior O-Line

Post by kmax » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:28 pm

From Montana State University Athletics: http://msubobcats.com/news/2016/1/10/FB ... 822.aspxIt didn't take Jeff Choate much time after accepting the position of head football coach at Montana State to figure out his top couple of priorities regarding his team's roster. And it didn't take much time for him and his coaching staff to positively address those needs. Montana State fortified the core of its offense Sunday when Choate announced the signing of quarterback Tyler Bruggman to a National Letter-of-Intent and center Alex Neale to a financial aid agreement. Bruggman comes to MSU from Scottsdale Community College and Neale from UNLV, and each will enroll at MSU when the spring semester begins next week. "I knew the second I got this job that we'd have to add some depth and experience in the offensive line, and that we'd have to fill the void of losing an upperclassman at quarterback," Choate said. "And we didn't want to just plug guys in, we wanted players with quality experience who had been highly-recruited out of high school. I think it's great work by the coaching staff that we were able to bring in two quality players for the second semester." Bruggman, a 6-2, 190 lb junior originally from the Phoenix area, began his college career as a redshirt at Washington State in 2013 before transferring to Louisville for the 2014 season. Bruggman played at Scottsdale Community College last fall, completing 146 of his 299 pass attempts (48.8%) for 1,692 yards with 19 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He gained steam as the season progressed after two seasons out of competition, completing 62-of-106 passes (58.5%) for 677 yards with 10 touchdowns and three interceptions in the final four games. Bruggman enjoyed a sensational career at Brophy College Preparatory School in Phoenix. He led his team to an 11-3 record as a senior, earning all-classification All-State Second Team honors by the Arizona Football Coaches Association. He was also All-State Division I Honorable Mention by the Arizona Republic, and was Division I Section III Offensive Player of the Year. He finished that season with 2,803 passing yards (177-of-323, .548) with 33 touchdowns and eight interceptions, throwing for at least 300 yards three times and throwing at least three TD passes seven times, and rushing for four touchdowns. He threw for for 368 yards and six touchdowns against Pinnacle High School, and earned Academic All-State First Team honors. Bruggman led his team to an 11-1 record as a junior, earning Phoenix Metro Player of the Year honors. He completed 156-of-259 passes for 2,497 yards and 37 touchdowns with just two interceptions that season. Bruggman threw for 1,304 yards, 11 touchdowns and six interceptions as a sophomore. Coming out of Brophy Prep he was rated as the 18th-best quarterback prospect in the nation by Rivals.com, and ESPN.com ranked him as the top quarterback prospect, and second overall, in Arizona. "My coaching odyssey came in handy in recruiting Tyler," Choate said, "because I was at Washington State when he was recruited there. We hit it off when Tyler and his dad visited campus, and I really liked Tyler's demeanor and maturity and how he looked at things. When he was leaving Louisville I was at Washington and we had a conversation, but he needed to go to a junior college. I like his maturity. He's a very level-headed, smart young man who is doing this for the right reasons. He's already researched our business college and knows that's what he wants to pursue. He's a low-ego, high-output guy who is going to come in and work hard to earn playing time." Neale (6-3, 290) transfers to MSU from UNLV, where he saw action in five games as a true freshman in 2015. The Duvall, Wash., product was rated as a three-star recruit by 247Sports and Scout coming out of Eastside Catholic High School. The former team captain earned First Team All-State, All-Area and All-District honors as an offensive lineman, and Eastside finished his senior season with a 13-1 record and a state championship. His high school coach, Jeremy Thielbahr, is a former Bobcat assistant. Neale also lettered four times in wrestling, earning points at the state meet as a junior. "Alex is an interior offensive lineman, he can play center or guard," Choate said. "He saw significant playing time in the Mountain West Conference at a position where it generally takes time to develop. That is something that stands out about Alex, his experience at a high level. He comes from a really good high school program at Eastside Catholic where they expect to compete. With his wrestling background he understands leverage and he's competitive and tough."Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bobcats Add Transfers Under Center and in Interior O-Lin

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:05 pm

both are huge additions! Great news!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:27 am

The thing that gives me a 'warm fuzzy' feeling about this is that Coach Choate has first hand knowledge of Bruggman when he was recruited out of HS. Whether or not he can win the job from Hoy is still yet to be determined though. I don't know the circumstances regarding Bruggman's path to MSU but since Coach Choate knows him well I am very optimistic he will be a 'good fit'. As far as Neale, an absolutely perfect get in quality and position need (i.e. OL) for the CATS! Next year the CATS O-line looks to be shaping up to be Folsom, Mahoney, Flynn, Neale, Gillis?.......not bad for losing 4 starting Seniors.

I'm assuming that Neale has 3 years of eligibility left.....Does Bruggman have 2 years of eligibility left?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:31 am

The MICKSTER wrote:The thing that gives me a 'warm fuzzy' feeling about this is that Coach Choate has first hand knowledge of Bruggman when he was recruited out of HS. Whether or not he can win the job from Hoy is still yet to be determined though. I don't know the circumstances regarding Bruggman's path to MSU but since Coach Choate knows him well I am very optimistic he will be a 'good fit'. As far as Neale, an absolutely perfect get in quality and position need (i.e. OL) for the CATS! Next year the CATS O-line looks to be shaping up to be Folsom, Mahoney, Flynn, Neale, Gillis?.......not bad for losing 4 starting Seniors.

I'm assuming that Neale has 3 years of eligibility left.....Does Bruggman have 2 years of eligibility left?
Yes and yes. Neale may just be our starting center next year with Folsom and Flynn at the guard spots and Gillis and Mahoney at the tackle spots. We won't be too shabby and the playing time Folsom, Gillis, and especially Mahoney got this year was invaluable to next year's team.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:40 am

VimSince03 wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:The thing that gives me a 'warm fuzzy' feeling about this is that Coach Choate has first hand knowledge of Bruggman when he was recruited out of HS. Whether or not he can win the job from Hoy is still yet to be determined though. I don't know the circumstances regarding Bruggman's path to MSU but since Coach Choate knows him well I am very optimistic he will be a 'good fit'. As far as Neale, an absolutely perfect get in quality and position need (i.e. OL) for the CATS! Next year the CATS O-line looks to be shaping up to be Folsom, Mahoney, Flynn, Neale, Gillis?.......not bad for losing 4 starting Seniors.

Yes and yes. Neale may just be our starting center next year with Folsom and Flynn at the guard spots and Gillis and Mahoney at the tackle spots. We won't be too shabby and the playing time Folsom, Gillis, and especially Mahoney got this year was invaluable to next year's team.
Don't be surprised to see Brott make a strong push for one of the tackle positions

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:43 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Don't be surprised to see Brott make a strong push for one of the tackle positions
Brott may be one of our starting tackles next year and would mean Gillis and Folsom would compete for the right guard spot. Plus, if JP isn't 100%, we will need those two ready anyway. And then you have guys like senior Doug Hanson, junior Wade Webster, and redshirt freshman Jake McFetridge and Bryan Wilkes to the competition as well. It will be a deep offensive line before we know it.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

grizatwork
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizatwork » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:34 pm

Neale is a huge addition. I was bummed when he went from our verbal to UNLV last year. I was that impressed with his film.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:37 pm

grizatwork wrote:Neale is a huge addition. I was bummed when he went from our verbal to UNLV last year. I was that impressed with his film.
Cats and Griz both have good recruiting classes (on paper) at this point. . . Really happy with MSU's in state recruiting (especially because I'm pretty sure Benson will be a bobcat). Griz have done a great job with getting an offensive line together. Excited to see how both classes finish out.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:55 pm

Bruggman's highlights from Scotsdale are pretty impressive IMO. He seems to be able to make ALL the throws and hits some very difficult throws in tight coverage during the film. I'm curious about his TD-INT ratio because he is very accurate with great technique on the film, maybe just bad decisions? The throw he makes (although it is incomplete, the WR can't make the play) right around the 2:23 minute mark is an ABSOLUTE DIME!! Rolls out to the right barely has a chance to set his feet before he is hit and he throws a perfect ball 50 yards in the air.
And the one at the 1:09 another throw on the run, 40 yards in the air, drops right in WR hands, TD.

TYLER BRUGGMAN FINAL 2015 Highlights
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/206157/high ... 814457/v2#

He is no Prukop but he is not a statue in the pocket either, he has some escape ability and does well on the few designed runs that they called for him. Interesting that he took all of his snaps from the shotgun, not sure if that is how we will look this year under Choate/Messingham or if he will have to get used to going under center too.

All in all, I think we will be in good hands with Hoy and Bruggman at QB!! =D^ =D^

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:39 pm

RobertCats wrote:Bruggman's highlights from Scotsdale are pretty impressive IMO. He seems to be able to make ALL the throws and hits some very difficult throws in tight coverage during the film. I'm curious about his TD-INT ratio because he is very accurate with great technique on the film, maybe just bad decisions? The throw he makes (although it is incomplete, the WR can't make the play) right around the 2:23 minute mark is an ABSOLUTE DIME!! Rolls out to the right barely has a chance to set his feet before he is hit and he throws a perfect ball 50 yards in the air.
And the one at the 1:09 another throw on the run, 40 yards in the air, drops right in WR hands, TD.

TYLER BRUGGMAN FINAL 2015 Highlights
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/206157/high ... 814457/v2#

He is no Prukop but he is not a statue in the pocket either, he has some escape ability and does well on the few designed runs that they called for him. Interesting that he took all of his snaps from the shotgun, not sure if that is how we will look this year under Choate/Messingham or if he will have to get used to going under center too.

All in all, I think we will be in good hands with Hoy and Bruggman at QB!! =D^ =D^
I agree. Some mentioned his stats to be a little blah. However there were a couple of dropped passes in his high lites that were on the money.
Looks to be a solid kid.
We add a quality true frosh and we are in good shape.
I think we may get some surprises with those already on the roster as well surprising some of us.

BobcatOninetails
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatOninetails » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:42 pm

I liked what I saw for the most part. Maybe it's because it's a highlight film, but it did look to me like he locked on a lot of primary guys and threw it to them. It didn't look to me like he threw to his check down receiver hardly ever. Would look left at the line of scrimmage and throw left, or vice versa. Again, it's a highlight film so I may be reading too much into it and most of you know more than I do. Excited to have him.

"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:16 pm

Interesting how things may work out. Tyler Bruggman was a much heralded recruit at Washington State, exactly what Mike Leach was looking for. Now it's possible Bruggman will be starting for the Bobcats in Pullman September 2017.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:49 pm

Can someone explain Bruggman's "junior" eligibility to me? From what I saw he redshirted at Wash St, was at Louisville for a year, went to Scottsdale CC for 2 years. How does that come out as a junior?

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:56 pm

RobertCats wrote:Can someone explain Bruggman's "junior" eligibility to me? From what I saw he redshirted at Wash St, was at Louisville for a year, went to Scottsdale CC for 2 years. How does that come out as a junior?
Washington State = Redshirt
Louisville = freshman
Scottsdale CC = sophomore
MSU = coming in as a junior

Only at Scottsdale CC for a season

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:00 pm

RobertCats wrote:Can someone explain Bruggman's "junior" eligibility to me? From what I saw he redshirted at Wash St, was at Louisville for a year, went to Scottsdale CC for 2 years. How does that come out as a junior?
Maybe the title of this article will clear things up :roll:

Scottsdale CC quarterback Tyler Bruggman signs with Washington State
Jason Jewell

It has been a long road for former four-star quarterback Tyler Bruggman.

After graduating from Phoenix (Ariz.) Brophy Prep, Bruggman signed with Washington State. He spent his first year in Pullman redshirting for the Cougars.

Bruggman then transferred to Louisville and was forced to sit out per NCAA rules.

Bruggman then surfaced at Scottsdale (Ariz.) Community College and threw for 1,692 yards and 19 touchdowns for the Artichokes.

Bruggman has graduated from SCC and Scout has confirmed that Tyler is headed back to the division-one level. SCC offensive coordinator Tommy Ziegler says, "I just talked to Tyler today and he signed with Montana State."

http://www.scout.com/college/football/r ... back-north

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:03 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Washington State = Redshirt
Louisville = freshman
Scottsdale CC = sophomore
MSU = coming in as a junior

Only at Scottsdale CC for a season
Ahhhhh that is where I was off, thought he was a Fighting Artichoke for 2 years. I was googling crazy transfer/eligibility rules all morning too haha.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:09 pm

There is the older transfer QB that it was obvious Choate would bring in to compete for the starting job. Morgan Mahalak also asked for his release from Oregon late last week, but appears to want to try and still compete in FBS.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:34 pm

PapaG wrote:There is the older transfer QB that it was obvious Choate would bring in to compete for the starting job. Morgan Mahalak also asked for his release from Oregon late last week, but appears to want to try and still compete in FBS.
Any QB that was at Oregon and healthy this season but wasn't able to beat out Lockie for the backup spot is not a QB that would be seeing playing time at MSU anyway.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:03 pm

SonomaCat wrote:
PapaG wrote:There is the older transfer QB that it was obvious Choate would bring in to compete for the starting job. Morgan Mahalak also asked for his release from Oregon late last week, but appears to want to try and still compete in FBS.
Any QB that was at Oregon and healthy this season but wasn't able to beat out Lockie for the backup spot is not a QB that would be seeing playing time at MSU anyway.
Mahalak and Jonsen are way better than Lockie. They're just really young. And Helfrich has a hard on for "experience." Either would do fine here.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:31 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:
Mahalak and Jonsen are way better than Lockie. They're just really young. And Helfrich has a hard on for "experience." Either would do fine here.
Strange coaching decisions on Helfrich's part, then ... looks like he is chasing off the better QB and keeping the one that's a proven non-starter.