MSU Proceeds with Football Coach Candidate Interviews

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

MSU Proceeds with Football Coach Candidate Interviews

Post by kmax » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:32 pm

From Montana State University Athletics; http://msubobcats.com/news/2015/12/3/FB ... spxMontana State conducted in-person interviews of five candidates for its head football coach position, MSU Director of Athletics Peter Fields said. Two recent Bobcat offensive coordinators – Tim Cramsey (2013-present) and Brian Wright (2010-11) – join three assistant coaches from Football Bowl Subdivision programs to comprise the list of interviews conducted in Bozeman throughout the past week. Arizona State University co-defensive coordinator Chris Ball, University of Washington special teams coordinator and defensive line coach Jeff Choate, and University of Missouri associate head coach and receivers coach Andy Hill have also interviewed for the position. The committee has evaluated other candidates by phone as well. The search committee assembled for this process is: George Haynes (MSU Faculty Athletic Representative), Committee Chair; Doug Alexander (Bobcat Quarterback Club),Camie Bechtold (Bobcat Athletics), Dan Davies (support), Jackie Elliott (MSU SAAC President), Mitch Griebel (Bobcat football player), Bob Mokwa (MSU Faculty Athletic Committee), John Smith (Bobcat Club), and Rick Vancleeve (Bobcat Quarterback Club). Fields indicated that the decision and announcement should come in the next week, but no firm timeline has yet been set. Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
Last edited by kmax on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edit

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU Proceeds with Football Coach Candidate Interviews

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:36 pm

kmax wrote:From Montana State University Athletics; http://msubobcats.com/news/2015/12/3/FB ... spxMontana State conducted in-person interviews of five candidates for its head football coach position, MSU Director of Athletics Peter Fields said.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
I noticed that Johnny nansen wasn't on the list.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:37 pm

Good.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Gabriel from the Chronicle said that others were interviewed by phone but school policy is only to list the finalists. Take that with a grain of salt but sounds like our new coach is among the five listed in the article. Each day it seems like I have a new favorite, I do not think there is a "bad" choice in the group though.

GRIZ1STCATS2ND
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:44 pm

"....our new coach is among the five listed in the article."

yes

GRZSLAYER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by GRZSLAYER » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:46 pm

For me personally I would like to see Ball or Choate get the job. Either would be great because they bring a strong defensive background to the team which I think is needed. Then you can call Cramsey in, give him a raise and keep him for the offense. That is just my pipe dream. I have talked to friends who have met Choate and they were sure to say he is a tough minded coach with a lot of fire. That they definitely need up there to help take the team to the next level of winning.

I don't know why but the fact that Hill is a friend of Fields just completely turns me off. Even if he was the most qualified I wouldn't even give him the time of day simply due to their friendship. Hate to short change him but Fields isn't someone you want on your resume.

Dakota Prukop -MSU Quarterback
Dude on my plane is wearin a Montana Grizzlie shirt. I'm pretty sure he's the reason our whole plane smells like B.O.

Kurt Davis-MSU Receiver
I needed a change for one, but for two, I HAD to go to Coach Haucks rival school.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:46 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Good.
Agreed

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:51 pm

I was speaking more on the rumors of Hawkins, Nansen among others. May have just gotten phone interviews and not actual interview and not considered a finalist. But yea I get the "Thanks Captain Obvious" tone

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:54 pm

Ball and Cramsey are the two I like at this point. Ball being first.

GRIZ1STCATS2ND
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:58 pm

GRZSLAYER wrote:For me personally I would like to see Ball or Choate get the job. Either would be great because they bring a strong defensive background to the team which I think is needed. Then you can call Cramsey in, give him a raise and keep him for the offense. That is just my pipe dream. I have talked to friends who have met Choate and they were sure to say he is a tough minded coach with a lot of fire. That they definitely need up there to help take the team to the next level of winning.

I don't know why but the fact that Hill is a friend of Fields just completely turns me off. Even if he was the most qualified I wouldn't even give him the time of day simply due to their friendship. Hate to short change him but Fields isn't someone you want on your resume.
Choate as HC and invite Cramsey back? My opinion, that's a winner but I wouldn't be surprised if Cramsey gets the big job. Guessing a lot has to do with how well they can sell their potential staff/assistants while vying for the position.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:58 pm

I think Wright gets the job

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:03 pm

Interview being the key word. Their background got them in the door. Their interview will get them the job.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:19 pm

I predict it will be Choate.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:26 pm

TomCat88 wrote:I predict it will be Choate.
I think we have a great list of Finalists. But Choate is my favorite.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:04 pm

Any surprise candidates before the announcement? Since none of the candidates are head coaches MSU was able to announce who interviewed? No fall out for those on the list?

I like the list and I keep going back and forth who my favorite is. I like Ball from a defense stand point but that maybe isn't the best criteria to use? Cramsey keeps come up on top of my list. If he had a good fix for the defense I would think he would be a good choice. Less turmoil for the program. I like his offense.

Glad it isn't up to me to decide.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:11 pm

Good group of finalists -- don't see a bad choice
FWIW
Cramsey -- may be the best OC we've ever had
Wright -- moved our O from good to great, if he's tied at the hip with McGhee, that's a plus. Also, best record as a Head Coach of the group. DM mentoring DP may be magical as they both have great attitudes and the same goals, two of the best QB's in Bobcat history

If Wright is hired and keeps Cramsey, what would be the dynamics? Two great OC's with maybe scheme/philosophy collisions - would they compliment each other? That relationship could be really good for the Bobcats if they collaborate, or really bad if either one becomes egocentric.

Cramsey - deserves a shot IMO, would he keep himself as OC? It could work.

Ball -- originally from Missouri (surprise surprise), I like his demeanor and personality. No HC experience though, but well experienced. I like the idea of a defensive coach coming in, with Cramsey staying put as OC

Hill -- qualified, good experience, seems a bit laid back a la Ash, no film on him as a HC either. I also agree with a previous post that there's something I don't trust about a Pete Field's guy. Hard to argue with success at Mizzu though

Choate - very personable, well traveled, looks like someone you do NOT want to piss off, ever. Best reason for him right now -- UW defense scored 3 TD's in the Apple Cup this year. Now that's the attitude we're used to as Bobcat D. But also no film on him as a HC.

Least Risk: Wright
Who's earned it: Cramsey and Wright
Field's guys: Hill and Ball
Montana Guy: Choate

Defensive oriented guys: Ball and Choate
Offensive oriented guys: Wright, Cramsey, and Hill

If any of you remember this discussion last time around, Ash wasn't really mentioned on BN. It was Lennon and Kill, then just Lennon. There is more FBS coaching experience with this group of finalists than I can remember among candidates. No wrong choice here IMO.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:22 pm

JDoub wrote:Good group of finalists -- don't see a bad choice
FWIW
Wright -- moved our O from good to great, if he's tied at the hip with McGhee, that's a plus. Also, best record as a Head Coach of the group. DM mentoring DP may be magical as they both have great attitudes and the same goals, two of the best QB's in Bobcat history

If Wright is hired and keeps Cramsey, what would be the dynamics? Two great OC's with maybe scheme/philosophy collisions - would they compliment each other? That relationship could be really good for the Bobcats if they collaborate, or really bad if either one becomes egocentric.

Ball -- originally from Missouri (surprise surprise), I like his demeanor and personality. No HC experience though, but well experienced. I like the idea of a defensive coach coming in, with Cramsey staying put as OC

Hill -- qualified, good experience, seems a bit laid back a la Ash, no film on him as a HC either. I also agree with a previous post that there's something I don't trust about a Pete Field's guy. Hard to argue with success at Mizzu though

Choate - very personable, well traveled, looks like someone you do NOT want to piss off, ever. Best reason for him right now -- UW defense scored 3 TD's in the Apple Cup this year. Now that's the attitude we're used to as Bobcat D. But also no film on him as a HC.

If any of you remember this discussion last time around, Ash wasn't really mentioned on BN. It was Lennon and Kill, then just Lennon. There is more FBS coaching experience with this group of finalists than I can remember among candidates. No wrong choice here IMO.
Excellent commentary. I don't think there is a bad choice on the list. I know much less about Hill than I do the others, and Wright bringing DMac back to Bozeman would be awesome for not only the class he brings, but also because I think DeNarius could recruit the heck out of Texas.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:03 pm

JDoub wrote:Good group of finalists -- don't see a bad choice
FWIW

I don't think Cramsey stays on if Wright gets the job. Cramsey isn't gonna run someone else's offense, and neither is Wright. Just a guess.

I'm hoping for one of the defensive guys (Ball, Choate) to get the job, and keep Cramsey as OC.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:25 pm

91catAlum wrote:
I'm hoping for one of the defensive guys (Ball, Choate) to get the job, and keep Cramsey as OC.
I'm leaning that way as well, and then either of them keeps Ioane on as the "DC," and Beck as the D-line coach, but Ioane is really is the assistant DC while Cramsey has full run of the offense without Ash's conservative influences overriding some plays. Plus MSU keeps Beck on staff in his same job.

That way Beck, Ioane, and Cramsey all stay, and Kane gets to learn to coordinate a defense under the head coach.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:34 pm

I'm just glad that I don't have to choose. (And I'm sure most of you are too ;) )