Beer sales being considerd

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Beer sales being considerd

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:35 am

catsrback76 wrote:
AlphaGriz1 wrote:
lutecat wrote:
AlphaGriz1 wrote:Regardless of the beer sales, what we ALL NEED are more rules and laws telling us how we can and cant do legal things. It benefits everyone in the long run when you lose freedom of choice and you are micromanaged into the ground on how you go about using a ticket YOU purchased and how YOU want to enjoy your day.

All the people telling you what you can and cant do with your time and money are 100% correct, just shut up and listen to them and their version of how a college football day should be.

We need things just as generic as most of the coaching at the FCS level so we dont rock the boat.
(Not that you should be boating at a football game.....But if you are no jet motors or crafts over 8ft)
You don't like it, don't buy a ticket. No one is forcing you to go. So its not a freedom of choice thing
Its a control thing, which as you know is all about taking away freedoms.............
I got it, if locked out of the 2nd half, you could always shoot your way back in........... (with a copy of the 2nd Amendment in your back pocket)! 8) That'd be cool!

You should probably just stay in Bum Fartle Egypt.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Beer sales being considerd

Post by 77matcat » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:31 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by 77matcat on Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:33 am

77matcat wrote:Good observation 76. ROFL

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:58 am

GoCats18 wrote:I think selling beer inside the stadium is a plus for generating money, but will be bad when people abuse it and it becomes a problem in the stands. I think that for winter games, chili and beer should be sold. Great combination plus you could then start charging to use the bathrooms. Would make a killing off that. I think maybe instead of leave and don't come back, how about leave at halftime but the gates close 3 minutes after the halftime kickoff. If you aren't back in the stadium by then, to bad.
Charging to use the bathroom? You can't be serious.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:43 pm

I was joking. Just funny to think about the effects of beer and chili and then having to pay for the bathrooms. Well, maybe at least the cost of using it would pay for the clean up.

Punters are people too!!

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:56 pm

Why not just make it policy that the alcohol needs to be put away at the tailgates at a certain time. (Food only at the half)

Sell a little beer in the stadium to make some extra cash

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:58 pm

Violators would lose their spot. There's lots of folks on the waiting list

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:06 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:Violators would lose their spot. There's lots of folks on the waiting list

I don't think there needs to be any more alienation in the tailgate area.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:41 am

JMU started selling beer this season. Attendance was 22,422 and not sure if the number is before or after expenses.
During the home opener against Saint Francis earlier this month, JMU reports selling 5,200 beers for a total of $37,000 in sales, according to Kevin Warner, the assistant athletic director for communications.
https://www.whsv.com/content/news/JMU-r ... 14011.html

Is this enough to make it worth the culture shock of not being able to leave the stadium?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:31 am

Not without more bathrooms

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 110010110 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:34 am

How do you even find a particular thread thread that hasn't been posted to in 4 years?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:43 am

110010110 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:34 am
How do you even find a particular thread thread that hasn't been posted to in 4 years?
I just searched for "beer sales" and the topic was brought up in many other threads but this was the only one with the title. And I didn't feel like it needed a new thread when there already was one.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:00 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:41 am
JMU started selling beer this season. Attendance was 22,422 and not sure if the number is before or after expenses.
During the home opener against Saint Francis earlier this month, JMU reports selling 5,200 beers for a total of $37,000 in sales, according to Kevin Warner, the assistant athletic director for communications.

Is this enough to make it worth the culture shock of not being able to leave the stadium?
Just for some fun math ...

I think it's safe to assume that MSU's beer sales per capita would be higher than the example above, so let's say an average of 7,000 beers sold per game at $6 per beer or higher (probably higher than some bar prices because that's how stadiums work).

Gross revenues per game 42,000
COGS (conservative) 10,500
Gross Margin 32,000

There would be some additional up front costs for the keg equipment and maybe some additional labor, but that wouldn't be a material amount. So the school would be clearing about $30,000 per game or an extra $150,000 to $180,000 or so annually.

Those are compelling numbers, but would need to be offset against possible liability/insurance considerations, and, of course, whether the fans would actually buy in to beer in the stadium or if they would demand to leave the stadium to walk to get cheaper beer.

We have these same issues at our indoor soccer complex -- we have a lot of members who much prefer to "tailgate" in our parking lot with cheap Modelo or Corona instead of staying inside and buying beer from our bar. Fortunately for our business (on many levels), it's actually illegal for them to drink in the parking lot, so we do have some hammer to keep them from doing that most of the time.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:34 am

They sold beer at the Texas Tech stadium. They have a no exit halftime policy. Beers were $9 or $10. Yes, we would need more bathrooms and there would have to be exceptions to the no halftime exit policy in cold weather. Families with young kids should be able to exit to warm up.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:44 pm

SonomaCat wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:00 am
Hawks86 wrote:

I think it's safe to assume that MSU's beer sales per capita would be higher than the example above, so let's say an average of 7,000 beers sold per game at $6 per beer or higher (probably higher than some bar prices because that's how stadiums work).

Gross Margin 32,000

There would be some additional up front costs for the keg equipment and maybe some additional labor, but that wouldn't be a material amount. So the school would be clearing about $30,000 per game or an extra $150,000 to $180,000 or so annually.

Those are compelling numbers, but would need to be offset against possible liability/insurance considerations, and, of course, whether the fans would actually buy in to beer in the stadium or if they would demand to leave the stadium to walk to get cheaper beer.
I was thinking along these same lines with what it would actually net the University/Athletic Dept. I have heard many people say this was a good way to move along different projects with this extra income. That's a good chunk of change but it isn't exactly building an indoor practice facility anytime soon, and to be honest while very helpful it wouldn't even fully close the gap the Bobcat Club has between charitable giving and the cost of Athletic scholarships. But for arguments sake let's take the math a step further...

Going big and taking your top number of $180,000 annual income.

MSU has averaged an attendance figure of around approximately 17k to 18k depending on Cat/Griz years. Now we know those attendance numbers aren't actual paying tickets as they count passes, students, media, etc. also. So let's make a wild guess and say that between season tickets and single game ticket sales we average 12,000 tickets actually sold each game (most likely an underestimate but being conservative).

6 home games a year * 12,000 tickets sold per game = 72,000 tickets actually sold

$180,000 per year / 72,000 tickets sold per year = $2.50

Seems to me for the benefit of an extra $180,000 per year most people would rather just pay an extra 2.50 per ticket and go out at halftime and drink a couple cheap beers (or stay in and actually be able to use the restroom) than be stuck inside and have to pay $7-$10 for a beer or stand in line past the second half kickoff waiting to use the restroom.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:49 pm

Good analysis, kmax.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:55 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:34 am
They sold beer at the Texas Tech stadium. They have a no exit halftime policy. Beers were $9 or $10. Yes, we would need more bathrooms and there would have to be exceptions to the no halftime exit policy in cold weather. Families with young kids should be able to exit to warm up.[/size]
That is a big hurdle for our stadium. Maybe there are other "northern" stadiums that deal with winter weather and no re-admittance, but we get some downright miserable weather for games late in the season. Hell, I remember a few years ago we had nice weather for the first 2 home games and the remaining 4 home games just had awful weather, even in late September.

With a no re-admittance policy, MSU would have to provide some warming stations around the stadium for families with kids, older fans, or just those who have problems keeping warm. I get that most fans go out to tailgate just to drink, but many of us also go out to stand by the space heaters we have going, or jump in our cars to get out of the wind and and fire up the heater. The other issue is that many times, it's actually colder down blow the bleachers on a cold day because it's a wind tunnel thru the concession areas. Some engineering needs to happen to alleviate that.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:57 pm

kmax wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:44 pm
SonomaCat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

Gross Margin 32,000

I was thinking along these same lines with what it would actually net the University/Athletic Dept. I have heard many people say this was a good way to move along different projects with this extra income. That's a good chunk of change but it isn't exactly building an indoor practice facility anytime soon, and to be honest while very helpful it wouldn't even fully close the gap the Bobcat Club has between charitable giving and the cost of Athletic scholarships. But for arguments sake let's take the math a step further...

MSU has averaged an attendance figure of around approximately 17k to 18k depending on Cat/Griz years. Now we know those attendance numbers aren't actual paying tickets as they count passes, students, media, etc. also. So let's make a wild guess and say that between season tickets and single game ticket sales we average 12,000 tickets actually sold each game (most likely an underestimate but being conservative).

6 home games a year * 12,000 tickets sold per game = 72,000 tickets actually sold

Seems to me for the benefit of an extra $180,000 per year most people would rather just pay an extra 2.50 per ticket and go out at halftime and drink a couple cheap beers (or stay in and actually be able to use the restroom) than be stuck inside and have to pay $7-$10 for a beer or stand in line past the second half kickoff waiting to use the restroom.
This is a good analysis that you make, but I can't help but think there is one major assumption that you are making the is not true, and that is that our beloved MSU, which is a government entity, would defy evidence of the ages from all over the globe, that proceeds would go toward reducing the costs for those who pay, largely by tax or event fees/taxes, to support the entity. Maybe its just my perception but its seems to me that most in the employ of any government entity will vote to grow the size of the entity and therefor their personal security and comfort.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:03 pm

codecat wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:57 pm
kmax wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:44 pm
SonomaCat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

Gross Margin 32,000

This is a good analysis that you make, but I can't help but think there is one major assumption that you are making the is not true, and that is that our beloved MSU, which is a government entity, would defy evidence of the ages from all over the globe, that proceeds would go toward reducing the costs for those who pay, largely by tax or event fees/taxes, to support the entity. Maybe its just my perception but its seems to me that most in the employ of any government entity will vote to grow the size of the entity and therefor their personal security and comfort.
Me trying to understand that paragraph....

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

bcats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcats » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:16 pm

Why limit beer sales to just football? Open up to Fieldhouse events and make a little more.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Just my opinion-- Byron Stulc