Former Wazzu transfer Kahshan Greene not coming to Montana S

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Former Wazzu transfer Kahshan Greene not coming to Montana S

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:06 pm

MSU still on the hunt for a transfer CB; Cats come in at No. 11 in first coaches' poll.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edit

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: Former Wazzu transfer Kahshan Greene not coming to Monta

Post by PapaG » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:34 pm

It seems late in the process to find a new transfer CB, doesn't it? Maybe the best thing for the program would be to spread the scholarship money around a bit instead of making a rash decision on a new transfer CB. The caveat is that there is a back-up transfer who is already vetted and a known quantity.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:54 pm

Isn't this where we say we didn't want him anyway?

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:50 am

vike_king wrote:Isn't this where we say we didn't want him anyway?
That's one option. However, of all the positions out there I find cornerback to be the least exciting when it comes to transfers or recruits. The game, especially the BSC, is so stacked against them that you need to be other-worldly to have an impact out there. Most players that are deemed good usually have good pass rushers on their team.

Grandmaster Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Grandmaster Cat » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:16 am

Not sure how much Greene would have helped, but I see CB depth as a major concern going into this year. Almost every other position runs a solid 2-deep, but what have we got beyond Keeton and Alley? Just Timmer, Evans (who I believe is recovering an injury) and a couple true freshman? That's a bit disconcerting, especially in what's traditionally been a pass-happy conference.

If the coaches can't find a transfer who's a good fit in the next week or two, I think they might have to look at shifting someone like Khari Garcia over to corner. We're just too thin there, and heaven forbid anything happens to Keeton or Alley... Thoughts?

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:30 am

Grandmaster Cat wrote:Not sure how much Greene would have helped, but I see CB depth as a major concern going into this year. Almost every other position runs a solid 2-deep, but what have we got beyond Keeton and Alley? Just Timmer, Evans (who I believe is recovering an injury) and a couple true freshman? That's a bit disconcerting, especially in what's traditionally been a pass-happy conference.

If the coaches can't find a transfer who's a good fit in the next week or two, I think they might have to look at shifting someone like Khari Garcia over to corner. We're just too thin there, and heaven forbid anything happens to Keeton or Alley... Thoughts?
Every team in the FCS has a similar issue at one position or another. This year for us that happens to be corner. Just gonna have to live with it.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:38 am

Grandmaster Cat wrote:Not sure how much Greene would have helped, but I see CB depth as a major concern going into this year. Almost every other position runs a solid 2-deep, but what have we got beyond Keeton and Alley? Just Timmer, Evans (who I believe is recovering an injury) and a couple true freshman? That's a bit disconcerting, especially in what's traditionally been a pass-happy conference.

Ash hinted during an interview that there will be a great battle at safety between four players. Here is my view of it. If McCabe and King can lock down the safety spots or play just as good as Garcia or Des Carter, why not try and shift Garcia and/or Carter down to the secondary? They both have cornerback experience and if we are that thin, you can't keep two talented secondary players on the sidelines. McCabe, King, Carter, and/or Garcia need to be on the field if two of them doesn't win the safety battle. I know the coaches will be rotating (a major problem with last year's secondary), but I just don't see our three freshman corners as immediate contributors. Maybe Sidney Holmes. Losing out on a transfer hurt us here. But I'm an eternal optimist so I predict either Trevon Strong, Sidney Holmes, or Chris Harris (still might greyshirt) will contribute in a positive way this year (Deonte Flowers freshman year) and one of our four safeties will be playing corner by the first game.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:47 am

I doubt this guy was the last option, but you never know. With only three returning players at corner and two that are seniors you'd have to be nuts to not want to come here if you're transferring to a FCS school. That said don't expect a shutdown corner to show up.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:50 am

I don't think Keeton or Alley are bad. I don't know much about Timmer. Unless your name is Darrell Revis you can't cover WRs all day without a pass rush. Whoever we have will get beat occasionally.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:04 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:I don't think Keeton or Alley are bad. I don't know much about Timmer. Unless your name is Darrell Revis you can't cover WRs all day without a pass rush. Whoever we have will get beat occasionally.
Yeah I think Alley might surprise a lot of people. He definitely has the skill set. With these pass happy teams, what it really comes down to is open field tackling and making the big play in a back-against-the-wall situation (int, pass breakup, etc.). If our corners can do that this year, we will be alright. Hopefully everyone realizes that total yards do not paint the big pictures for a defense anymore in the Big Sky. Like Bo Beck said, redzone defense and takeaways. I just don't want to see another game like Sac State where by the 4th quarter it was 15 yards off the receiver and gains of 20 yards nearly every play plus touchdowns. We just needed one play that game and thankfully it was our offense who answered.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:49 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:I don't think Keeton or Alley are bad. I don't know much about Timmer. Unless your name is Darrell Revis you can't cover WRs all day without a pass rush. Whoever we have will get beat occasionally.
^This... we badly need a pass rush.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:55 am

1- As already said, we need a pass rush.
2- We need depth in the secondary in order to be able to platoon guys. Against "play fast" teams like ISU and now UM, the secondary gets worn out fast and we need to be able to rotate guys. We don't have the depth for this at the corner...yet.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:28 pm

Wade Wilson? Where does he fit in?