Breaking down the race for the Big Sky football title

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Breaking down the race for the Big Sky football title

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:28 am

Here's a look at how things might play out in the Big Sky Conference this season as Montana State and Eastern Washington battle for conference supremacy.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edit

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Re: Breaking down the race for the Big Sky football title

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:44 am

Something's askew in your standings down by Idaho State.

Great rundown. I like the game of the weeks.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:05 am

Great read, thanks! Should be an exciting year in the Sky, as always. Lots of firepower.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Caboose
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Caboose » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:18 am

Colter you have the Cats ending at 7-1 in conference so you obviously think they will lose one of their big games you mentioned after Big Sky play starts. I'm curious as to which one you think it will be or think is most likely to give the Cats a loss?

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:11 am

Looks like he has NAU upsetting us in Week 6.
WEEK 6
Saturday, October 3
*Southern Utah at Weber State
*Northern Colorado at Sacramento State
*Idaho State at Cal Poly
*Montana at UC Davis
*Montana State at Northern Arizona
*North Dakota at Portland State

GAME OF THE WEEK: Montana State at Northern Arizona: The last time Montana State played at the Walkup Skydome, the Bobcats looked helpless. NAU put relentless pressure on DeNarius McGhee, handing MSU its lone loss of a season that otherwise helped kick start the momentum of an excellent first portion of the decade. Montana State has had trouble with moving, unorthodox defenses during the Rob Ash era and that’s again what they will see in Flagstaff. For MSU to have a chance, the Bobcats will have to hit some big plays against NAU’s swarming defense that hangs its hat on a risk-taking secondary. If NAU can force a turnover or two, the Lumberjacks will earn the upset.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:15 am

Wait... you mean the Griz homer reporter picked us to go 10 and 1, win the Big Sky, beat the Griz, while the Griz don't even sniff the title while going 6-5? Can't be right. :roll:

Great read. I have us going 9-2 which I would be vary happy with. 10-1 and I'll be ecstatic. That would probably guarantee us a bye then at home until at least the semi's.

Very interesting to read his comments about the Griz D Line. They absolutely owned us last year and are almost always rock solid. Wonder what he's getting at. :-k

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:32 pm

egriz is not taking this well. :lol:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:45 pm

CelticCat wrote:egriz is not taking this well. :lol:
Love it :)

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:59 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
CelticCat wrote:egriz is not taking this well. :lol:
Love it :)
Read that too! Pure comedy gold. Coulter only did that to "attract" readers. In truth, Coulter is one of the most unbiased writers out there. I for one appreciate his honesty about the Cats. If he sees a problem area he will tell you about it and not sugar coat it, which I like. Of course he is griz fan, he went to school there and his brother played there for cripes sake.

GO CATS!!!

curlewcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by curlewcat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:09 pm

I'm thinking Bob Stitt is going to be to the Grizzlies what Earle Solomsen was to the Cats. Earle was about as popular at his previous spot.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:18 pm

curlewcat wrote:I'm thinking Bob Stitt is going to be to the Grizzlies what Earle Solomsen was to the Cats. Earle was about as popular at his previous spot.
What attributes of Stitt as a coach/person make you think he will be that bad for the Griz in the long run?

Htowngriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Htowngriz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:40 pm

catatac wrote:
Very interesting to read his comments about the Griz D Line. They absolutely owned us last year and are almost always rock solid. Wonder what he's getting at. :-k
Beats me. I think most Big Sky/FCS teams would be more than happy to have Holmes, Kidder, Peevey, Crittenden, Harris, and Wilson up front.

Disclaimer: no, I don't think our back ups were better than our starters last year. But this is going to be another solid, aggressive group.

curlewcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by curlewcat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:45 pm

Just a hunch. I was in Fargo back when Earle was hired by Cats. He had more accolades than Stitt. I believe he just had a couple back to back national championships division II. Seemed poised for success at MSU. Didn't happen. Success at that level doesn't always transfer up. Similar kind of hype for Solomson then as is for Stitt now which is appropriate I might add. That's all I'm saying. Time will tell. Reading Colters prognostications and a mediocre season for Griz could make for an interesting year on eGRIZ and the beginning of something.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:50 pm

Htowngriz wrote:
catatac wrote:
Beats me. I think most Big Sky/FCS teams would be more than happy to have Holmes, Kidder, Peevey, Crittenden, Harris, and Wilson up front.

Disclaimer: no, I don't think our back ups were better than our starters last year. But this is going to be another solid, aggressive group.
I tend to agree. Losing three of four starters, including beasts Takai and Wagenman... It would appear that you might take a slight step back at D line, but I can't remember the last time the Griz were even close to weak there and in fact always seem to pretty much dominate. Guess we'll see. I suppose one possibility, and this is something I've been arguing with some friends about is how the new Griz O will impact their D. It's that never ending debate about how much that offensive philosophy is going to hurt your defense.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

GetEm_Griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GetEm_Griz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:57 pm

curlewcat wrote:Just a hunch. I was in Fargo back when Earle was hired by Cats. He had more accolades than Stitt. I believe he just had a couple back to back national championships division II. Seemed poised for success at MSU. Didn't happen. Success at that level doesn't always transfer up. Similar kind of hype for Solomson then as is for Stitt now which is appropriate I might add. That's all I'm saying. Time will tell. Reading Colters prognostications and a mediocre season for Griz could make for an interesting year on eGRIZ and the beginning of something.
Stitt's offense playbook has proven to be successful at the FBS level and NFL coaches have attended clinics to learn from Stitt. West Virginia implemented Stitt's offense in the 2012 Orange Bowl and put up 70 on #14 Clemson. I believe it's wishful thinking that Stitt won't make it at this level. It might take him a year to get going, but he will be successful.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:29 pm

GetEm_Griz wrote:
curlewcat wrote:Just a hunch. I was in Fargo back when Earle was hired by Cats. He had more accolades than Stitt. I believe he just had a couple back to back national championships division II. Seemed poised for success at MSU. Didn't happen. Success at that level doesn't always transfer up. Similar kind of hype for Solomson then as is for Stitt now which is appropriate I might add. That's all I'm saying. Time will tell. Reading Colters prognostications and a mediocre season for Griz could make for an interesting year on eGRIZ and the beginning of something.
Stitt's offense playbook has proven to be successful at the FBS level and NFL coaches have attended clinics to learn from Stitt. West Virginia implemented Stitt's offense in the 2012 Orange Bowl and put up 70 on #14 Clemson. I believe it's wishful thinking that Stitt won't make it at this level. It might take him a year to get going, but he will be successful.

They implemented bits and pieces of his offense. Mostly just the "fly sweep."

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:33 pm

GetEm_Griz wrote:
If he can recruit at the level that UM has historically been able to recruit, he will do just fine (no matter what offense he runs). That seems to be a lot bigger factor in the success of a college coach than the Xs and Os, IMO. From what I hear he's personable and doesn't seem like a guy who would destroy the pretty significant benefit UM has due to its history and facilities, so I can't see any particular red flags for his imminent failure.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:50 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
GetEm_Griz wrote:
If he can recruit at the level that UM has historically been able to recruit, he will do just fine (no matter what offense he runs). That seems to be a lot bigger factor in the success of a college coach than the Xs and Os, IMO. From what I hear he's personable and doesn't seem like a guy who would destroy the pretty significant benefit UM has due to its history and facilities, so I can't see any particular red flags for his imminent failure.
They will remain a contender. Every time they get a new coach people let their hopes out and predict doom.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

curlewcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by curlewcat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:06 pm

allcat wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:
GetEm_Griz wrote:
I don't disagree Allcat. At this level it takes more business sense with recruiting and Personal management not to mention all the coaches shows and things to keep the boosters happy. That fills up ones plate pretty fast. The X and O's fall more to the coordinators. I don't wish him failure he seems like a brilliant football mind who has earned a shot at bigger things. I am just going to sit back and watch. College football fans (all of them) can be an impatient bunch though. I'd rather beat a great Griz team than a good one!
They will remain a contender. Every time they get a new coach people let their hopes out and predict doom.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:14 pm

allcat wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:
GetEm_Griz wrote:
Interesting read concerning coaches: the study just looked at teams that fired their coaches, not retirements.

http://freakonomics.com/2012/12/21/is-c ... he-answer/

Coaches largely receive the same training, recruit the same players, operate from the same information, and "ultimately make similar decisions." Its pretty unusual to find a coach that is really that good (Urban Mayer, maybe) or one who is that bad (Earle).