Off-season Q&A with the assistants: Mike Rider

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Off-season Q&A with the assistants: Mike Rider

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:00 am

The former Bobcat captain has risen through the coaching RANKSquickly, attaining his first position group as Montana State prepares for the 2015 campaign.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Off-season Q&A with the assistants: Mike Rider

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:35 am

Two great interviews this week with Coach Pitre and Rider. Especially from a recruiting perspective!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:26 am

Great article, but I can't believe you didn't ask him the million dollar question that burns in the mind of a bunch of Bobcat Nationers... "Why don't you coach these players to ever look back and make a play on the ball?" :rofl:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:32 am

catatac wrote:Great article, but I can't believe you didn't ask him the million dollar question that burns in the mind of a bunch of Bobcat Nationers... "Why don't you coach these players to ever look back and make a play on the ball?" :rofl:
He wasn't coaching these guys last year.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:42 am

allcat wrote:
catatac wrote:Great article, but I can't believe you didn't ask him the million dollar question that burns in the mind of a bunch of Bobcat Nationers... "Why don't you coach these players to ever look back and make a play on the ball?" :rofl:
He wasn't coaching these guys last year.
It would still be a good topic for questions as in; Last year the defense appeared to have been coached to not look back and make a play on the ball, will they be coached much differently this year?

Inquiring minds want to know. Still a good interview but really inquiring minds want to know.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:47 am

Because face guarding is not a penalty in college football, very few if any teams teach players to play the ball. Play the man. When his eyes light up or you see his hands move or reach out, just play the man and engage contact with his hands or his body. Most teams at the FCS level don't have good enough corners to play press man to man or Cover 2. Therefore to make up for athletic deficiencies, players are coached to play the player in almost all cases.

A text from my brother who played 3.5 years of college DB at Montana:

"Watch his hands. Play the hands, when you are 19 years old, you don't know when the balls even coming. For instance, the Cats NEVER give a ball call. You're running full speed with someone never know if it's coming. But when it is, the receiver will show you when he changes his pace or puts his hands anywhere to catch it, then start trying to high five his boys. Even touching one of his fingers, he won't catch it.

Running full speed forward look behind you and jumping is pretty tough... straight league stuff."

The majority of FCS corners can't handle it. One of the few guys I saw who could play the ball on a consistent basis was Trumaine Johnson. And he was a third-round pick and an NFL starter.
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:06 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Because face guarding is not a penalty in college football, very few if any teams teach players to play the ball. Play the man. When his eyes light up or you see his hands move or reach out, just play the man and engage contact with his hands or his body. Most teams at the FCS level don't have good enough corners to play press man to man or Cover 2. Therefore to make up for athletic deficiencies, players are coached to play the player in almost all cases.

"Watch his hands. Play the hands, when you are 19 years old, you don't know when the balls even coming. For instance, the Cats NEVER give a ball call. You're running full speed with someone never know if it's coming. But when it is, the receiver will show you when he changes his pace or puts his hands anywhere to catch it, then start trying to high five his boys. Even touching one of his fingers, he won't catch it.

Running full speed forward look behind you and jumping is pretty tough... straight league stuff...most FCS corners can't handle it. Only guy I saw who could play the ball at all times was Tru (Trumaine Johnson) and he was a second-round pick."
That's fine if the players could do it correctly.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:21 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Running full speed forward look behind you and jumping is pretty tough... straight league stuff...most FCS corners can't handle it. Only guy I saw who could play the ball at all times was Tru (Trumaine Johnson) and he was a second-round pick."
Aren't the WRs running full speed and looking back for the ball too??

Seems like I remember seeing that technique being taught to CBs in high school (look back when the receiver turns his head and looks back) but I guess I could be wrong, it's been 30 years.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:03 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Seems like I remember seeing that technique being taught to CBs in high school (look back when the receiver turns his head and looks back) but I guess I could be wrong, it's been 30 years.
Corners in high school are usually better athletes or the same kids playing both sides. In college, with the rules, the receivers have all the advantage. Another text from my brother:

"A common reaction to that is, "receivers run full speed forward and look back to the ball." Which is true, but at every spot on the field they have a better angle, a cornerback can't turn toward the logo cause if he misses, his back is to the receiver. He has to keep face and shoulders facing sideline so if the receiver does catch it, you can get him out of bounds or play the hands/tackle."

To play the ball, you have to have elite talent at corner. Montana State does not.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:03 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Corners in high school are usually better athletes or the same kids playing both sides. In college, with the rules, the receivers have all the advantage. Another text from my brother:

"A common reaction to that is, "receivers run full speed forward and look back to the ball." Which is true, but at every spot on the field they have a better angle, a cornerback can't turn toward the logo cause if he misses, his back is to the receiver. He has to keep face and shoulders facing sideline so if the receiver does catch it, you can get him out of bounds or play the hands/tackle."

To play the ball, you have to have elite talent at corner. Montana State does not.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:33 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Running full speed forward look behind you and jumping is pretty tough... straight league stuff."

The majority of FCS corners can't handle it. One of the few guys I saw who could play the ball on a consistent basis was Trumaine Johnson. And he was a third-round pick and an NFL starter.
Thank you - very good description. We have excellent coaches that know what they're doing. It gets super annoying at the games and talking to other fans before during and after about pass coverage. I can't count the number of times I hear people freak out and say "TURN AROUND AND PLAY THE BALL!!!". I usually just bite my tongue rather than tell them, "If he turns around to try to make a play on that ball, we're going to get burned for a TD more often than not." Granted, if the ball is under thrown, turning around and playing the ball would likely result in a pick, but the CB has to assume the QB is putting the ball on the money.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:36 pm

And by teaching this technique you are telling them they suck. I can hear the coach now. "Ya you'll have two or three passes hit you in the back each year but because you're not talented we don't want to take a chance on you playing the ball."

If I recall correctly NDSU corners play a mean bump and look for the ball. If they can get talent to play this way or teach kids to we ought to be able to. Especially in a conference that likes to put the ball in the air.

No excuses. Make it important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:38 pm

If Roderick is that good an athlete and I think he is. Why are we not placing him at corner.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:04 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Thanks Colter, I appreciate the insight on this.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:10 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

I agree corners should play their man, but the moment the WR had changed his reaction, (eyes get big, hands start an upward motion, he slows down, or he start drastically changing his route) you play Defense, get your hands mixed with their AND you turn your head to find the ball.
I don't think that takes elite talent, now if your going to be a corner that does nothing but watch the QB, then yes you better have some serious speed because your going to need all of it catch up to the guy you let get 2 steps on you. Just my 2 cents.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:28 pm

Finally some insight from outside the BN sphere.

Sure it would be nice if they turned their heads, but this is the way they are coached in high school, and this is the way it is, especially at our level.

People on here seemed to focus a little too much on our coverage techniques. Not turning your head to the ball wasn't the main reason we were about the worst pass D in the country.

I'm happy to hear from these interviews that the coaches are noticing you can't play your stud 5th year guy for every snap anymore. People keep bringing up NDSU - they have great depth, especially on the DL, which is a huge part of the reason they are dominant defensively. We had a knack for playing guys who were hurt, gassed, ineffective, whatever, based mainly on loyalty, which is admirable, but at some point you have to realize by leaving this player in the game, your chances of winning are reduced.

That to me is one of best things I've heard coming out of spring, this realization by the defensive coaches.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:46 pm

CelticCat wrote:Finally some insight from outside the BN sphere.

Sure it would be nice if they turned their heads, but this is the way they are coached in high school, and this is the way it is, especially at our level.

People on here seemed to focus a little too much on our coverage techniques. Not turning your head to the ball wasn't the main reason we were about the worst pass D in the country.

I'm happy to hear from these interviews that the coaches are noticing you can't play your stud 5th year guy for every snap anymore. People keep bringing up NDSU - they have great depth, especially on the DL, which is a huge part of the reason they are dominant defensively. We had a knack for playing guys who were hurt, gassed, ineffective, whatever, based mainly on loyalty, which is admirable, but at some point you have to realize by leaving this player in the game, your chances of winning are reduced.

That to me is one of best things I've heard coming out of spring, this realization by the defensive coaches.
We don't play the two enough if you ask me. That's why we play the 1's while they are hurt - they're still better than a 2 with no experience. I advocate having 2 to 3 of the 2's in the game all the time - then when you have an injury you aren't playing a guy who hasn't played before plus the 1's get a breather. (Seems to be working on offense). You also don't have to start from square one every time someone graduates either.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:06 pm

Shhhhh!!! Quit giving away our secrets!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:38 pm

77matcat wrote:And by teaching this technique you are telling them they suck. I can hear the coach now. "Ya you'll have two or three passes hit you in the back each year but because you're not talented we don't want to take a chance on you playing the ball."

If I recall correctly NDSU corners play a mean bump and look for the ball. If they can get talent to play this way or teach kids to we ought to be able to. Especially in a conference that likes to put the ball in the air.

No excuses. Make it important.

Well I don't agree with any of this but that's fine. In fact I was re watching some of the games from last season, including deeper playoff games, and Colter is right. 99% of the corners at this level are not going to startin the NFL, which is the tpe of talent it takes to play the way you're describing. Go back and watch games, the majority of the times the Corner is playing the corner and not the ball.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:36 pm

At every home game for years. Watch away games go to a few.

Watch how the good defensive teams play corner.

I don't believe you need to have elite talent to look for the ball when the receiver does.

Didn't play college ball but did ok in HS.