'He brings what we want to develop defensively'

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

'He brings what we want to develop defensively'

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:48 pm

Ioane hires former pupil as assistant linebackers coach.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

kwcat
Member # Retired

Re: 'He brings what we want to develop defensively'

Post by kwcat » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:58 pm

Congratulations Jody!
Welcome back to Bozeman Coach Owens! =D^

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:50 pm

Nice article Colter. I think this epitomizes what we need. Swagger,toughness, bobcat defense. I want to give Ash credit. In the past two years he's been showing in certain areas a relinquish attitude to some control over the program. It is clear to see that he is a facilitator of coaching, a figurehead of some sorts. He is acquiescing to his coordinators and is willing to make some changes. Maybe this year he'll loosen up on the sidelines as well :wink:

I think we can all agree that after the end of last year, the changes that were called for on this board have happened. If Prukop can continue to evolve and our defense improves we might have a legit shot at making further progress. In my opinion, one thing needs to be emphasized- that is beating the griz. I know it is not our ultimate goal, nor should it be, but it should be next in-line. We need to start fixing that, and that starts now. It should be celebrated and a focus of all MSU sports. BTG. I think it was Tavon Dodd that recently tweeted something like, "I wake up with one goal every morning, beating the griz." I paraphrased it of course, but I'm glad to see that attitude in our young up-comers. McGhee had that.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:08 pm

Common Cat wrote:Nice article Colter. I think this epitomizes what we need. Swagger,toughness, bobcat defense. I want to give Ash credit. In the past two years he's been showing in certain areas a relinquish attitude to some control over the program. It is clear to see that he is a facilitator of coaching, a figurehead of some sorts. He is acquiescing to his coordinators and is willing to make some changes. Maybe this year he'll loosen up on the sidelines as well :wink:

I think we can all agree that after the end of last year, the changes that were called for on this board have happened. If Prukop can continue to evolve and our defense improves we might have a legit shot at making further progress. In my opinion, one thing needs to be emphasized- that is beating the griz. I know it is not our ultimate goal, nor should it be, but it should be next in-line. We need to start fixing that, and that starts now. It should be celebrated and a focus of all MSU sports. BTG. I think it was Tavon Dodd that recently tweeted something like, "I wake up with one goal every morning, beating the griz." I paraphrased it of course, but I'm glad to see that attitude in our young up-comers. McGhee had that.
jody owens ‏@jay_oh23 Nov 16
BTG.... words cant explain how much this game means. I can't wait to watch my boys ball out!!
Jody gets it!!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:42 pm

I like this picture. Glad Owens is back working with Ioane.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:48 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:I like this picture. Glad Owens is back working with Ioane.

That right there is two peas in a pod.

Gettem
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Gettem » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:48 pm

Definitely not wanting to count chickens...but, if the defense improves like I believe it will, could be a really long(Nov. Dec. Jan!), exciting season for us Cat fanatics! I can't wait til the season starts.

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:51 pm

Two all Americans and a former walk-on turned starter as coaches and role models for this defense. "Coach" prefixing their names has nice ring and great potential for this defense. Three guys that lived the work ethic, brotherhood and attitude. And still fit enough to show the kids how it's done. Coach Cramsey's quote (I think), "Success follows success". I'd bet on it applying here. These guys know what it takes and won't accept anything less of anybody that hopes to be on the field. This has the makings of an amazing turn-around.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:18 am

I love the hires, but the guy at North Dakota showed last year how solid fundamentals can make the defense a lot better. You have 2 of the hardest hitters to play defense for the cats coaching now, I'm sure they will get the players fired up.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

canyoncat

Post by canyoncat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:23 am

allcat wrote:I love the hires, but the guy at North Dakota showed last year how solid fundamentals can make the defense a lot better. You have 2 of the hardest hitters to play defense for the cats coaching now, I'm sure they will get the players fired up.
I was hopping somebody would bring this up. In 2013 UND's defense was horrific, new coach, new scheme and ATTITUDE and they were among the best in the Big Sky just one year later. It can turn around and turn around very quickly. If UND had any offense they might have won the Big Sky last year. Watch out for them, they are building something pretty good I think!

GO CATS!!!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:32 am

Gettem wrote:Definitely not wanting to count chickens...but, if the defense improves like I believe it will, could be a really long(Nov. Dec. Jan!), exciting season for us Cat fanatics! I can't wait til the season starts.
:goodpost:

My thoughts exactly! Just as our offense went off the charts last year, I too think these kids are going to be flying around having fun and destroying offenses into 2016. When do we play North Dakota?

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:40 am

canyoncat wrote:
allcat wrote:I love the hires, but the guy at North Dakota showed last year how solid fundamentals can make the defense a lot better. You have 2 of the hardest hitters to play defense for the cats coaching now, I'm sure they will get the players fired up.
I was hopping somebody would bring this up. In 2013 UND's defense was horrific, new coach, new scheme and ATTITUDE and they were among the best in the Big Sky just one year later. It can turn around and turn around very quickly. If UND had any offense they might have won the Big Sky last year. Watch out for them, they are building something pretty good I think!
Yeah a very good comparison how coaching/attitude and training can totally change a team's makeup. UND's turnaround on D was very impressive in a years time!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:57 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Gettem wrote:Definitely not wanting to count chickens...but, if the defense improves like I believe it will, could be a really long(Nov. Dec. Jan!), exciting season for us Cat fanatics! I can't wait til the season starts.

My thoughts exactly! Just as our offense went off the charts last year, I too think these kids are going to be flying around having fun and destroying offenses into 2016. When do we play North Dakota?
October 31 in Grand Forks.

They are getting better. Bubba is doing some good things over there.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:02 am

kwcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

For next year's conference title. I think I shall be there with all my Bison and nameless relatives.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:13 am

Cat Grad wrote:
kwcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

For next year's conference title. I think I shall be there with all my Bison and nameless relatives.
I'll be there as well. One of my three road games next year.

Much of my family and friends played there over the years.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:38 am

So, since we got Marshall "out of the way" and up in the booth, if the defense underperforms this year, who's head do we call for? Just curious; want to be prepared. :coffee: Seems current and former coveted players are out of bounds.

I hope the defense lights it up this year, but I'm not sure bringing in a bunch of former players as position coaches and having a first-year former-player coordinator is a guarantee for great things. There's lots of teams with a lot of attitude and mouth that don't back it up on the field. It great to yell, scream, put on a great show and make big hits, but what happens on the field is what counts. Most people have a story of having a great co-worker who you wouldn't in a million years want has your supervisor. Or a great tactician, who you'd never want actually teaching people how to do something.

I don't know much personally about any players; don't care to be that "close". But the simple fact they were great players does not necessarily mean they'll be great teachers and coaches. The sign of a great leader is to develop those under you, and do the best for those people and the organization. It doesn't mean being the most-liked or everyone's friend.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Walk-on

Post by Walk-on » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:50 am

All three have coaching resumes now. They aren't kids anymore. All three were team leaders on and off the field. Some big upside here, especially for minimally paid fcs coaches. I don't see them as what you caution here kittie. Cynical today?

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:55 am

Good points Kop.

Coaching is as much about chemistry as strategy and fundamentals. As bad as our defense performed last year I was not one calling for a coaching change.
For the most part, for every criticism of a formation or strategy that a post would point, you could find examples in football where there were successes doing the same thing executed to perfection.

That being said, hopefully our weak spots are filled in this year and the defense performs as it has in past years at minimum. I am positive that our new cocktail of talents in coaching and players can do very well if all gels.

canyoncat

Post by canyoncat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:55 am

KittieKop wrote:So, since we got Marshall "out of the way" and up in the booth, if the defense underperforms this year, who's head do we call for? Just curious; want to be prepared. :coffee: Seems current and former coveted players are out of bounds.

I hope the defense lights it up this year, but I'm not sure bringing in a bunch of former players as position coaches and having a first-year former-player coordinator is a guarantee for great things. There's lots of teams with a lot of attitude and mouth that don't back it up on the field. It great to yell, scream, put on a great show and make big hits, but what happens on the field is what counts. Most people have a story of having a great co-worker who you wouldn't in a million years want has your supervisor. Or a great tactician, who you'd never want actually teaching people how to do something.

I don't know much personally about any players; don't care to be that "close". But the simple fact they were great players does not necessarily mean they'll be great teachers and coaches. The sign of a great leader is to develop those under you, and do the best for those people and the organization. It doesn't mean being the most-liked or everyone's friend.
Given what UND did to turn around their defense last year, I think it will be important to give Ioane at least a year to do what he wants to. I do expect to see some improvement though and think we will see it. All the way to a top 5 in conference might be a stretch, top half I don't think is impossible.

GO CATS!!!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:59 am

Walk-on wrote:All three have coaching resumes now. They aren't kids anymore. All three were team leaders on and off the field. Some big upside here, especially for minimally paid fcs coaches. I don't see them as what you caution here kittie. Cynical today?
Yeah I think both are great leaders and Owens will be great at getting his players to do it the right way (film/technique/leadership). Plus I will say it again, we won't be playing with 10 players for half the season this year either. The main thing we need to focus on as a D this year is getting OFF the field on third down. We have to be aggressive and dictate the D on the O! We were terrible getting off the field on third down last year. Every team knew an outside run or swing pass was going to work for a 10+ yard gain on third down I swear. I feel with more speed this year we will be able to cover the field better and we will be a lot better in that category (More possessions for Prukop and Co. to score)!