Baylor WR Brandon Brown transferring to Montana State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Baylor WR Brandon Brown transferring to Montana State

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:04 am

Dakota Prukop's high school teammate starts classes at MSU next week.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Re: Baylor WR Brandon Brown transferring to Montana State

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:27 am

Happy dance happy dance

However I thought we had a good wr core. But adds depth but there's no way the same position can get that banged up two years in a row. Greibel I beleive will be a senior so he should get plenty of playing time and I think Cramsey wants to rotate wr a lot to wear out a defense. Can't have too many quality skill position guys IMO

I am not saying this is not a good pickup but with our defense needing an all American national player of the year at de per Marshall and ash to make marshals defense avg we are still boned on the defensive side

MSUcantouchus
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSUcantouchus » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:12 pm

catgrad05 wrote:Happy dance happy dance

However I thought we had a good wr core. But adds depth but there's no way the same position can get that banged up two years in a row. Greibel I beleive will be a senior so he should get plenty of playing time and I think Cramsey wants to rotate wr a lot to wear out a defense. Can't have too many quality skill position guys IMO

I am not saying this is not a good pickup but with our defense needing an all American national player of the year at de per Marshall and ash to make marshals defense avg we are still boned on the defensive side
I like that last paragraph!

I hate dark pink

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:27 pm

Whenever you add Big 12 talent to your football team, you should be more than excited. Herbert, Paige, and Gates along with Griebel/Roderick were tremendous last season in the sense that the freshman overachieved and the upperclassmen stayed steady. However, one of our biggest holes last year was a true #1 guy. When Flot went down, we lost that guy. Now Herbert will most likely move into that role this year but Brown has the chance to be THAT guy and I feel much better about our passing offense by adding another reliable threat.

The defense is another story and I understand why you guys are anxious about the lack of a drop down/transfer (DE/DT/LB)...I am too. :(

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:38 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Whenever you add Big 12 talent to your football team, you should be more than excited. Herbert, Paige, and Gates along with Griebel/Roderick were tremendous last season in the sense that the freshman overachieved and the upperclassmen stayed steady. However, one of our biggest holes last year was a true #1 guy. When Flot went down, we lost that guy. Now Herbert will most likely move into that role this year but Brown has the chance to be THAT guy and I feel much better about our passing offense by adding another reliable threat.

The defense is another story and I understand why you guys are anxious about the lack of a drop down/transfer (DE/DT/LB)...I am too. :(
I thought the beauty of our offense was that we didn't have a go to guy. I didn't consider Flotkoetter to be a go to guy.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:43 pm

Couple questions, I assume Colter will likely be asking during his interview.....Did we offer Brandon Brown out of High School? Did anyone? Will he be on Scholarship at MSU? I looks like he had 1 catch during his 2 years at Baylor.

I'm wondering if the coaches are expecting him to come in and make an impact, or if he's mostly transferring to be with his buddy and add depth.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:44 pm

Welcome to MSU! You're going to enjoy yourself...now go back to Texas and get one or two of those sumo wrestler DLs! Tell them we've got plenty of cattle out here for the weekend BBQs.

In addition, a couple hybrid safety-LBs who can move in space (AND TACKLE) would be nice.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:55 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Whenever you add Big 12 talent to your football team, you should be more than excited. Herbert, Paige, and Gates along with Griebel/Roderick were tremendous last season in the sense that the freshman overachieved and the upperclassmen stayed steady. However, one of our biggest holes last year was a true #1 guy. When Flot went down, we lost that guy. Now Herbert will most likely move into that role this year but Brown has the chance to be THAT guy and I feel much better about our passing offense by adding another reliable threat.

I thought the beauty of our offense was that we didn't have a go to guy. I didn't consider Flotkoetter to be a go to guy.
A game I look at would be the Central Arkansas game. How do I define a "go-to" guy? A guy who is covered and can still make the catch. When your team is down and you need someone to make a play by just throwing it up to a receiver. A guy who moves the chains on third down (like it or not, this area hurt us during a couple of games like Portland State, Weber State, North Dakota). I think we started to see that with Flotkoetter during the Central Arkansas game. Now I believe that Herbert showed flashes when he made that catch against Sacremento State and he made many more tough catches throughout the year but he was still only a freshman. Yes the beauty of our offense is that we don't necessarily need a go-to guy but receivers have roles just like every other position such as slot receivers, possession receivers, and all-around, do-everything receivers. Cooper Kupp is a great example of the all-around, do-everything receiver. We were lacking in that role last year because that role fell to a true freshman because of injuries.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:05 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:

A game I look at would be the Central Arkansas game. How do I define a "go-to" guy? A guy who is covered and can still make the catch. When your team is down and you need someone to make a play by just throwing it up to a receiver. A guy who moves the chains on third down (like it or not, this area hurt us during a couple of games like Portland State, Weber State, North Dakota). I think we started to see that with Flotkoetter during the Central Arkansas game. Now I believe that Herbert showed flashes when he made that catch against Sacremento State and he made many more tough catches throughout the year but he was still only a freshman. Yes the beauty of our offense is that we don't necessarily need a go-to guy but receivers have roles just like every other position such as slot receivers, possession receivers, and all-around, do-everything receivers. Cooper Kupp is a great example of the all-around, do-everything receiver. We were lacking in that role last year because that role fell to a true freshman because of injuries.
Flotkoetter vs UCA was a great example of how our go to guy changed from week to week, which is even better than having a designated go to guy. A lot of games we didn't pass enough to have anyone be a go to guy. We broke all kinds of offense records last year w/o a go to guy. Not that I'm against your theory that go to guys help. Just pointing that out.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:06 pm

wbtfg wrote:Couple questions, I assume Colter will likely be asking during his interview.....Did we offer Brandon Brown out of High School? Did anyone? Will he be on Scholarship at MSU? I looks like he had 1 catch during his 2 years at Baylor.

I'm wondering if the coaches are expecting him to come in and make an impact, or if he's mostly transferring to be with his buddy and add depth.
I'm just reading the stats and context and jumping to conclusions, but I don't see him being the #1 guy ... seems like a nice addition for depth and maybe another solid deep threat (if he really is a 4.5 guy). He was a walkon at Baylor who presumably only saw the field during garbage time.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:07 pm

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:07 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:

Flotkoetter vs UCA was a great example of how our go to guy changed from week to week, which is even better than having a designated go to guy. A lot of games we didn't pass enough to have anyone be a go to guy. We broke all kinds of offense records last year w/o a go to guy. Not that I'm against your theory that go to guys help. Just pointing that out.
Good point. Maybe I'm just a Vikings fan who still misses Randy Moss... :(

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:44 pm

Great pickup. If Prukop and Herbert keep working on those back shoulder throws they will be a tough tandem to stop! Those are almost impossible to stop if your a smaller CB (which most will be for Herbert) and you also have to contain the guy from getting in front of you down the field.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:48 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was stumped by that. I have no idea how the SEC All-Freshman team is relevant to this topic.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:00 pm

John K wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was stumped by that. I have no idea how the SEC All-Freshman team is relevant to this topic.
I see Cameron Sutton's name on the list, but that's a different guy.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:02 pm

[quote][/quotehe made many more tough catches throughout the year but he was still only a freshman... Cooper Kupp is a great example of the all-around, do-everything receiver. We were lacking in that role last year because that role fell to a true freshman because of injuries.]

Kupp was an All-American as a true freshman also. And I realize true freshmen can't play at MSU. Especially on defense. Our scheme is way too complicated.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:12 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
[/quotehe made many more tough catches throughout the year but he was still only a freshman... Cooper Kupp is a great example of the all-around, do-everything receiver. We were lacking in that role last year because that role fell to a true freshman because of injuries.]

Kupp was an All-American as a true freshman also. And I realize true freshmen can't play at MSU. Especially on defense. Our scheme is way too complicated.
Kupp was a redshirt freshman...still pretty outstanding. And true freshman have played on MSU's defense. Deonte Flowers started as a true freshman and Tyrone Fa'anono played great last year as a true freshman.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:14 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
[/quotehe made many more tough catches throughout the year but he was still only a freshman... Cooper Kupp is a great example of the all-around, do-everything receiver. We were lacking in that role last year because that role fell to a true freshman because of injuries.]

Kupp was a redshirt freshman...still pretty outstanding. And true freshman have played on MSU's defense. Deonte Flowers started as a true freshman and Tyrone Fa'anono played great last year as a true freshman.
Didn't Brad Daly play a lot as a true freshman in 2009?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:18 pm

Sure did!