UAB safety Des Carter transfers to Montana State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

UAB safety Des Carter transfers to Montana State

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:09 pm

Former Nevada and Riverside CC standout found his way to Bozeman through personal connections.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: UAB safety Des Carter transfers to Montana State

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:24 pm

This young man is going to afford the staff the opportunity to have some rotation and different schemes next fall. Great to see someone looking at the next level choosing MSU and the Gallatin Valley to refine his craft.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:55 pm

Glad to have him here. I hope he does well.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:07 pm

Welcome to the Bobcats Des, you're going to like being a Bobcat!!!

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:29 pm

After looking at Colter's 2015 roster "condition" report this is a very welcome and needed transfer. I only spotted two CB's and one SS he had listed on the "ready to report for duty list" in the spring.
He also had the sophmore from Iowa on the watch list. If anything the only thing stopping him from competing for a starting spot in the defensive backfield at MSU is the injury, otherwise he's be making a huge mistake transfering out.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:08 pm

Ash is solving our lack of quality and depth at Safety fast. Now if he can just solve our DE problem.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:53 pm

I'm starting my New Year's Resolution today. I'm not going to weigh-in with any predictions/evaluation of talent since last year I was a huge failure at. I think I picked Prevost and Marino as the two best players. One never showed and the other only lasted a few weeks into the season.

So how good are these new safeties and the safety corps as a whole? Better than, the same or worse than last year's crew?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:00 pm

TomCat88 wrote:I'm starting my New Year's Resolution today. I'm not going to weigh-in with any predictions/evaluation of talent since last year I was a huge failure at. I think I picked Prevost and Marino as the two best players. One never showed and the other only lasted a few weeks into the season.

So how good are these new safeties and the safety corps as a whole? Better than, the same or worse than last year's crew?
Players make a difference, but the whole scheme needs the work not just one part of it.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:21 pm

allcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:I'm starting my New Year's Resolution today. I'm not going to weigh-in with any predictions/evaluation of talent since last year I was a huge failure at. I think I picked Prevost and Marino as the two best players. One never showed and the other only lasted a few weeks into the season.

Players make a difference, but the whole scheme needs the work not just one part of it.
When you watch their highlight tapes, did you think either of these safeties were bigger, faster, stronger or more instinctual than the players that we have or had last year?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:18 am

gtapp wrote:Ash is solving our lack of quality and depth at Safety fast. Now if he can just solve our DE problem.
+1

all i want for christmas is for the cats to have anything that even resembles a pass rush next season. it was the worst i've seen in over a decade this year and was a huge reason for our awful defense.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:45 am

ilovethecats wrote:
gtapp wrote:Ash is solving our lack of quality and depth at Safety fast. Now if he can just solve our DE problem.
+1

all i want for christmas is for the cats to have anything that even resembles a pass rush next season. it was the worst i've seen in over a decade this year and was a huge reason for our awful defense.
+1 +1
Is there any way Hutchins or Jeffries becomes a good bandit rush end? Or Wilcox?

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:12 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
+1

+1 +1
Is there any way Hutchins or Jeffries becomes a good bandit rush end? Or Wilcox?
Jefferies is long enough, uses good technique, and got home a couple times. If he could work on his speed a little....

BFcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BFcatfan » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:44 pm

Now if he can just solve our "DC problem"

With success comes attention, with attention comes cockiness, with cockiness comes arrogance, with arrogance comes rudeness...and they wonder why I hate the Griz ! FTG

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:29 pm

Well that was a worthwhile bump... :roll:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:41 pm

allcat wrote:

Just ask Oregon. I take that back. NOTHING in their defense was working last night.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:52 pm

BFcatfan wrote:
So last year, OSU's defense was vanilla, so they hired Chris Ash and changed the schemes to "exotic" to become the best defense in college football.

Weird

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:54 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
BFcatfan wrote:
So last year, OSU's defense was vanilla, so they hired Chris Ash and changed the schemes to "exotic" to become the best defense in college football.

Weird
What osu do on defense last night that was exotic?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:04 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
BFcatfan wrote:

Weird
OSU had the 19th best defense in FBS in terms of yards allowed at the end of the season (including the two bowl games). Not #1 but yeah I see what you are getting at.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:24 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
BFcatfan wrote:

Weird
OSU had the 19th best defense in FBS in terms of yards allowed at the end of the season (including the two bowl games). Not #1 but yeah I see what you are getting at.
I don't think you do. I've never heard Chris Ash's defense described as exotic. In fact he described it as simple. Which is what Rob Ash says we will be doing. Maybe ltcf is being sarcastic. Chris played for Rob at Drake.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:32 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
BFcatfan wrote:

Weird
I don't think you do. I've never heard Chris Ash's defense described as exotic. In fact he described it as simple. Which is what Rob Ash says we will be doing. Maybe ltcf is being sarcastic. Chris played for Rob at Drake.
I was just quoting sports center from this morning. But I would describe it as more complex and aggressive than what MSU runs. They do a good job of disguising coverages and blitz packages. They actually change what they do in the back end.

Interesting that Ash played for Ash. Apparently our Ash held onto the wrong guy.