Helena Capital LB Walker Cozzie commits to the 'Cats

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Helena Capital LB Walker Cozzie commits to the 'Cats

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:55 pm

Standout is the son of a Carroll College Hall of Famer.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit

mtdoc
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Helena Capital LB Walker Cozzie commits to the 'Cats

Post by mtdoc » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:17 pm

“I went there on a couple of visits, I went to a couple of games and I just really liked the coaching staff are friendly people,” Cozzie said. “Especially Coach Ash. He’s just a really good guy.”

He must not have read the #FireAsh thread ](*,)

wolves76
New Recruit

Post by wolves76 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:51 pm

great to have cozzie as a bobcat. Brekke played at capital and he has done well. It will take cozzie time to adjust to the big sky but he will be a good one.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:07 pm

mtdoc wrote:“I went there on a couple of visits, I went to a couple of games and I just really liked the coaching staff are friendly people,” Cozzie said. “Especially Coach Ash. He’s just a really good guy.”

He must not have read the #FireAsh thread ](*,)
I thought that was pretty apropos - this kid not only is a good football player but a good judge of character as well.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:00 am

I like how he tackles...explodes through the player!

Bobcat42
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bobcat42 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:01 am

Great article Colter and I can't wait to see Cozzie play he looks like a beast. It was also very good to see you give credit to the Carter's for their work at Capital, couple awesome guys who have dedicated their lives to developing and helping young men on and off the field. I played with Lee in the late 80's early 90's and their was not a pound for pound tougher guy around. It would be interesting to see a list of all great linebackers the Carter's have turned out over the last 20 or so years both Cats and Griz. It is a tribute to not only their work on the football field but Lon's work in the weight room and on the track.
sort list off the top of my head;
Daly x 2
Crebo
Caruthers U of Washington
McIntyre

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:42 am

Talked to a couple folks who follow CHS football pretty closely. Their take on Cozzie is that he is a good athlete and a hard hitter, but had trouble with making reads in a fairly simple defense and thus is sometimes a step or two behind where he should be. Because of that, they were a little surprised to see him get an FCS offer to play linebacker, but he looks like a kid who will be a special teams ace, and might thrive in an H-Back type of role.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:52 am

wbtfg wrote:Talked to a couple folks who follow CHS football pretty closely. Their take on Cozzie is that he is a good athlete and a hard hitter, but had trouble with making reads in a fairly simple defense and thus is sometimes a step or two behind where he should be. Because of that, they were a little surprised to see him get an FCS offer to play linebacker, but he looks like a kid who will be a special teams ace, and might thrive in an H-Back type of role.
I here you on that and when you watch his tape, I think his first step is a bit delayed sometimes. In Colter's interview, he said that he only reads the guards. I believe he got an FCS offer is because when he does make the correct read, its a tackle for a loss. In his tape, he had a great ability to get in the backfield. Again, it was a highlight tape showing all his good plays but "potential" is a big reason he got the shot. Plus, he gets to learn behind a great linebacker's coach in Kane Ioane! \:D/

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:55 am

wbtfg wrote:Talked to a couple folks who follow CHS football pretty closely. Their take on Cozzie is that he is a good athlete and a hard hitter, but had trouble with making reads in a fairly simple defense and thus is sometimes a step or two behind where he should be. Because of that, they were a little surprised to see him get an FCS offer to play linebacker, but he looks like a kid who will be a special teams ace, and might thrive in an H-Back type of role.

I didn't see all of his film, but he looks like he can read pretty good to me in his highlight video. He mentions reading the guard and it seems once he reads it he bursts in and knocks peoples heads off. If he was taught to read the guard (and you can see him hesitate on some plays in there trying to read the guard) then he was coached to do that. He has the physical ability no doubt about it, the other can be coached I would think. He definitely does NOT go backwards when being blocked by OL/FB/TE (very stout and sheds blocks very well). I wouldn't want to be a WR going across the middle against him that is for sure.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:19 am

Colter, fyi - you have Shane Maharg's name spelled wrong in a couple spots.

Nice article, love to see Helena kids play for the Cats!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:55 am

I should clarify that I don't mean to sound negative. I would imagine there were also a ton of Helena people who thought Shaun Samson would ride the bench for 4 years at MSU, and he turned out to be an all conference player. The kid looks like a great athlete and will hopefully join a long line of successful Bobcats from Capital High School.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:48 pm

wbtfg wrote:I should clarify that I don't mean to sound negative. I would imagine there were also a ton of Helena people who thought Shaun Samson would ride the bench for 4 years at MSU, and he turned out to be an all conference player. The kid looks like a great athlete and will hopefully join a long line of successful Bobcats from Capital High School.
Yeah Samson is a good example. It remains to be seen how each player turns out but I agree it is good to keep that Capital High School pipeline going!