End of the season interview with Rob Ash

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

End of the season interview with Rob Ash

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:47 pm

Following the completion of his team's 8-5 campaign, eighth-year Montana State head coach Rob Ash talks to the media about the future of his program.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Re: End of the season interview with Rob Ash

Post by WeedKillinCat » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Following the completion of his team's 8-5 campaign, eighth-year Montana State head coach Rob Ash talks to the media about the future of his program.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
Nice job Colter. I like the fact that you asked the most questions.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:56 pm

Man, I really cringed when I read Dawson speaking in vague terms about how "chat rooms want to see [Ash] fired."

I know this may seem like a minor nit, but it really isn't. Media folks, please take note -- places like Bobcatnation.com are not places of unanimous opinions. In fact, it's quite the opposite. So don't say that Bobcatnation.com (as that's what he was suggesting) wants Ash fired, as that's factually inaccurate. You can say "some posters" on Bobcatnation.com want that, but don't use sweeping statements like that to try to throw this whole venue under the bus. Anybody who has read this board is well aware that there are opinions all over the place represented here ... and that's a good thing.

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:09 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:Man, I really cringed when I read Dawson speaking in vague terms about how "chat rooms want to see [Ash] fired."

I know this may seem like a minor nit, but it really isn't. Media folks, please take note -- places like Bobcatnation.com are not places of unanimous opinions. In fact, it's quite the opposite. So don't say that Bobcatnation.com (as that's what he was suggesting) wants Ash fired, as that's factually inaccurate. You can say "some posters" on Bobcatnation.com want that, but don't use sweeping statements like that to try to throw this whole venue under the bus. Anybody who has read this board is well aware that there are opinions all over the place represented here ... and that's a good thing.
I was thinking the same thing. Agree completely. Colter or Ted, please smooth this out. I don't want him fired. Do we need a positive Coach Ash thread to counteract the haters and trolls?

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:09 pm

Dawson asking the important cherry picked questions:
Rob, what’s it do, after all you’ve done for this program, to see the chat rooms that want you fired?
:roll:

I know he's smarter than that. What a disservice to all of Bobcat Nation (not just the message board).

Good Q&A but I'm a bit perplexed that Rob sounds like he won't ever entertain the idea of adjusting the defensive scheme. I get that you lost your Buchanan winners, etc but you have to adjust something when it isn't working. Don't just wait until the offseason when you could've done something during and gotten better vs. adjust only by recruiting what you think is a play maker. And there was no mention of coaching. Poor tackling/angles and amateur football basics displayed by DB's is more than just personnel to me.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:20 pm

What's interesting in what he said is what he did not say. He did not say the scheme is the problem.

He did not say that even with those elite defensive players from the past that he had what was needed to win a championship!

He did not say the DC was under any pressure to do anything differently.

He did say he needs a pass rush.

He did say he needs better players...

I'll leave it at that for now.
Last edited by catsrback76 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:24 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:Man, I really cringed when I read Dawson speaking in vague terms about how "chat rooms want to see [Ash] fired."

Ted Dawson knows all that but he will never let the whole truth stop him from using half truths to sensationalize his story, and if he can somehow insert himself into the story all the better in his mind anyway.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:28 pm

I think it's safe to say that Coach Ash , who I really like as our coach, is too loyal to Jaime Marshall to make any changes concerning him.

That said, all we can hope for is that he finds those elite championship level players. So, get to work!

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:30 pm

CatBlitz wrote:Dawson asking the important cherry picked questions:
Rob, what’s it do, after all you’ve done for this program, to see the chat rooms that want you fired?

I know he's smarter than that. What a disservice to all of Bobcat Nation (not just the message board).

Good Q&A but I'm a bit perplexed that Rob sounds like he won't ever entertain the idea of adjusting the defensive scheme. I get that you lost your Buchanan winners, etc but you have to adjust something when it isn't working. Don't just wait until the offseason when you could've done something during and gotten better vs. adjust only by recruiting what you think is a play maker. And there was no mention of coaching. Poor tackling/angles and amateur football basics displayed by DB's is more than just personnel to me.

Nobody asked him specifically about position coaching, so he didn't give an answer to it. I personally would have liked to listen to him address this. However I also think there is some professionalism in his answers too. He isn't going to call out his DC in a press conference, just like he isn't going to name players on the chopping block. I'm not implying that he is going to fire the DC, but I'll bet there are some tense conversations. I wonder if he has fired anybody before?

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:43 pm

Walk-on wrote:

Nobody asked him specifically about position coaching, so he didn't give an answer to it. I personally would have liked to listen to him address this. However I also think there is some professionalism in his answers too. He isn't going to call out his DC in a press conference, just like he isn't going to name players on the chopping block. I'm not implying that he is going to fire the DC, but I'll bet there are some tense conversations. I wonder if he has fired anybody before?
You're right. Just disappointed.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:55 pm

FYI, if you want to watch the press conference for yourself, you can open 'griz hunter's' post @ "Rob Ash weekly press conference 12-2-14"

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:39 pm

On the defense he made these comments in Colter's write-up:
"One of the ways (not the only way) you get better is to have good players playing for your team."

And, "It will be a long six month process of re-drafting and getting people in..." (He gave a time-frame.)

And, "Nothing dramatic (in terms of a defensive scheme change). We are not going to a 3-4. We are not going to go to a whole new idea."

And, that they need to simplify the defense to allow guys to play fast, which is something he said they used to do, but got away from it.

He was also somewhat critical of the defensive coaches if you read between the lines. Essentially saying, they are smart guys, but maybe somewhat too smart.

So, I think the answer is, yes, he is changing things. First, he's changing the style of play a little bit and second, he's looking for players to fit that style (fast). I'm not sure that's anything to be royally stoked about or not, but he did answer the questions with some detail.

It's fairly commonly held that the defense requires the best athletes. I think teams recognize that not only was MSU banged up at a couple spots, but that it wasn't the fastest team out there. Owens, Minter, and Daly were all fast/quick for their positions. Na'a was fast in 2012. Not sure the secondary was any faster back then, but clearly MSU had more speed in the past.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:26 pm

He sounded like a gigantic douche bag by asking that question. Everybody there is asking about the X's and O's of the season, games and players, then he goes in and asks a question based on emotional (read: unstable) fan comments. Seems pretty pathetic to me.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:40 pm

TIrwin24 wrote:

He sounded like a gigantic douche bag by asking that question. Everybody there is asking about the X's and O's of the season, games and players, then he goes in and asks a question based on emotional (read: unstable) fan comments. Seems pretty pathetic to me.
I did contact him about it and he seemed sincerely apologetic. I think his mouth may have put out some words that his brains hadn't fully thought through when he asked that question the way he did (something I'm sure most of us have done ourselves a time or two). So with that exchange, he has my forgiveness and gratitude for responding to my probably-less-than-super-friendly email to him.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:02 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Walk-on wrote:

You're right. Just disappointed.
Disappointed isn't even a strong enough word to describe it. And the fact he more or less admitted that the defense has to have a NFL/Buck type player to succeed. How can you base an entire defense on having that elite of a talent? Just mind numbing

cat_stache_fever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by cat_stache_fever » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:31 pm

This is BS...
EVERY team needs/wants better players! The fact that he won't even concede that maybe, just maybe, there needs to be a scheme change is infuriating. Great players in a sh!tty scheme is lipstick on a pig...

well.......we gonna pitch it!
"we gonna put something/somebody(?) on they ass...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXf-VrzznY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:40 pm

What is this magical scheme people want? What if Marshall left and the new DC ran the same scheme? Would that make a better scheme?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:51 pm

Hawks86 wrote:What is this magical scheme people want? What if Marshall left and the new DC ran the same scheme? Would that make a better scheme?
Why would Ash hire someone with the same scheme when he'd just keep Marshall? That's a completely moot question.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:55 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:What is this magical scheme people want? What if Marshall left and the new DC ran the same scheme? Would that make a better scheme?
Why would Ash hire someone with the same scheme when he'd just keep Marshall? That's a completely moot question.
so Beck or Ioane would definitely switch to a 3-4?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:56 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
so Beck or Ioane would definitely switch to a 3-4?
It's not as cut and dry as going from a 4-3 to a 3-4. There's more to defensive schemes than the set formation.