West offensive lineman Mitch Brott commits to Cats

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

West offensive lineman Mitch Brott commits to Cats

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:56 pm

Younger brother of Bobcat tight end is latest verbal commitment for Class of 2015.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: West offensive lineman Mitch Brott commits to Cats

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:05 pm

#BOOM =D^

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:15 pm

Either these high school offensive linemen are getting bigger every year or MSU is getting better at recruiting big OL. Isn't this the second guy (McFetridge being the first) in the 6-6, 275 range? I think both Webster and Marinello were both about that size last year. Usually MSU brings in guys in the 230-250 range and develops them for two years.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:23 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Either these high school offensive linemen are getting bigger every year or MSU is getting better at recruiting big OL. Isn't this the second guy (McFetridge being the first) in the 6-6, 275 range? I think both Webster and Marinello were both about that size last year. Usually MSU brings in guys in the 230-250 range and develops them for two years.
But it remains to be seen what's a better strategy. MSU has been recruiting 6-6 and 6-8 tackles since I got here. Btu who would you rather have? Alex Terrien, who comes in at 225, starts at every position, earns all-league honors as a junior and All-America honors as a captain senior? Shaun Sampson, who comes in at 190 and goes on to start 38 straight games at center and earns All-America honors as a senior? Or a 6-4, 320-pound center and a 6-6, 295-pounder right tackle like MSU has now?

The prototyping in recruiting brings forth a boiler plate and eliminates a great many great players from ever playing Division I. Tom, you'll know this reference and I'm sure you'd agree: a 6-foot-nothing, 225-pounder like Lonnie Burt would never ever get a chance as a Division I nosetackle this day in age. But that guy could squat 700 pounds, was a world-class Greko-Roman wrestler and just annihilated people for the '84 'Cats. He had like 17 tackles for loss. I have three films from that game. He just destroys people. Just making guys cry. It's unreal. But he wouldn't fit the initial size filter that most schools use this day in age so he'd have played at Tech instead.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:38 pm

JMO but if you put a guy like Burt in todays world with better supplements and training/nutrition advice. He comes to MSU looking more like Yates. I do agree though that,especially MT kids, that don't fit the "size" will either try to walk-on or go down to the frontier. I also think the frontier is a much better conference because alot of MSU and UM walk on or partial types are signing in the frontier.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:51 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:Either these high school offensive linemen are getting bigger every year or MSU is getting better at recruiting big OL. Isn't this the second guy (McFetridge being the first) in the 6-6, 275 range? I think both Webster and Marinello were both about that size last year. Usually MSU brings in guys in the 230-250 range and develops them for two years.
But it remains to be seen what's a better strategy. MSU has been recruiting 6-6 and 6-8 tackles since I got here. Btu who would you rather have? Alex Terrien, who comes in at 225, starts at every position, earns all-league honors as a junior and All-America honors as a captain senior? Shaun Sampson, who comes in at 190 and goes on to start 38 straight games at center and earns All-America honors as a senior? Or a 6-4, 320-pound center and a 6-6, 295-pounder right tackle like MSU has now?

The prototyping in recruiting brings forth a boiler plate and eliminates a great many great players from ever playing Division I. Tom, you'll know this reference and I'm sure you'd agree: a 6-foot-nothing, 225-pounder like Lonnie Burt would never ever get a chance as a Division I nosetackle this day in age. But that guy could squat 700 pounds, was a world-class Greko-Roman wrestler and just annihilated people for the '84 'Cats. He had like 17 tackles for loss. I have three films from that game. He just destroys people. Just making guys cry. It's unreal. But he wouldn't fit the initial size filter that most schools use this day in age so he'd have played at Tech instead.
Lonnie used to come in the Rockin' R, stand at the bar and proclaim that he could squat it. Fun lovin' guy. Very good wrestler for the CHS Bruins with his trademark 'head-n-arm' move. Personally I wish the NCAA would put a weight limit on its players. I can't imagine it's very healthy, but that's another story.

I kind of think that MSU is bringing in these big guys, because they're more of them out there, but I'm not sure if the FBS schools are just going after smaller guys and now MSU can get these players when they couldn't before. ??? It appears MSU wants to run the ball, because it can't be easy throwing over these guys unless you're 6-6, too.

I'd like to have all those guys mentioned above, but if these guys have the same smarts, skills, and will I'm guessing bigger is better, no? MSU seems to be running the ball well this year and the offense has been setting total yardage and scoring records. Not sure how it stacks up to past teams or if it's more a product of the backs and receivers or what.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:22 pm

Back in the 84 era 6'6" to 6'8" guys were called basketball players.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:44 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:Back in the 84 era 6'6" to 6'8" guys were called basketball players.
Ya, NBA basketball players...

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:49 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Younger brother of Bobcat tight end is latest verbal commitment for Class of 2015.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
This is good news.
Why wouldn't you want to be a part of this Offensive line. Mac has pulled together a great crew. And coaches them well.
Only one below par game this year.
Welcome to MSU.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

grizatwork
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizatwork » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:51 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Another example in the late 80s early 90s was Joe Kalafat. No way he gets recruited by anyone other than frontier nowadays. He was 5'9" on a good day. He was all conference D tackle. The year they lost 35 to 30 to Oregon, the Oregon offensive lineman stated that they thought they would have their way with him when they saw him, but said he was unblockable. They said he was better than any nose guard, d-tackle in the pac 10. He was the quickest guy off the snap I have ever seen.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:28 pm

He is a man child, saw him at one of the earlier games this year. He surprised me once I figured out he was a senior in high school, can only think he'll make an impact soon in his career. Plus his bother is already here playing.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:12 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

I guess what are the odds you are going to develop a player of that caliber from the size and weight of these former players? Not saying that some won't but recruiting is a game of numbers. You hope you recruit guys that a have a high probability of developing into the type of player you want in your system. In the past we had under sized line men and we did ok but once you go up against defensive lines that are larger (UM) and just skilled I am thinking the D is going to win. If you can larger linemen that are just as athletic then I would think you would want to bring them to the team.