'Cats hope to bounce back in the playoffs after Griz loss

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

'Cats hope to bounce back in the playoffs after Griz loss

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:49 am

Montana State isn't worried about momentum entering Saturday's first-round matchup with South Dakota State.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: 'Cats hope to bounce back in the playoffs after Griz los

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:01 am

Anyone remember the last time MSU was -6 turnovers? Not too many people are pointing out the roughing the punter call or the non-fumble call on Jordan Johnson. UM scored after both of those. Or we're those on the same drive? They were just as big as any turnover MSU had.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:56 am

TomCat88 wrote:Anyone remember the last time MSU was -6 turnovers? Not too many people are pointing out the roughing the punter call or the non-fumble call on Jordan Johnson. UM scored after both of those. Or we're those on the same drive? They were just as big as any turnover MSU had.

And the two touchdowns MSU scored that didn't count. Whatever way you slice it, the Griz got every single break in that game. They made almost every break for themselves, but there were a couple of crucial calls and mental miscues that went in UM's favor as well.

If you've ever played in a football like this and you're on the wrong side, you know EXACTLY the helpless feeling you have, especially if you are the defense. I remember playing No. 1 Billings Skyview in Billings 10 years ago. Skyview scored on the opening drive, which was expected , then our kick returner fumbled back-to-back kicks. By the time myself and the offense stepped on the field for our first play, it was 21-0. It's one of the most helpless feelings in the world when the momentum is 100 percent on the other side of the matchup.

mcg
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mcg » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:09 pm

It's interesting to watch the kat fans try to attribute last Saturday's defeat to anything other than the obvious fact that the better team won. Decisively.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:20 pm

mcg wrote:It's interesting to watch the kat fans try to attribute last Saturday's defeat to anything other than the obvious fact that the better team won. Decisively.
You ever read egriz after a loss?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:39 pm

mcg wrote:It's interesting to watch the kat fans try to attribute last Saturday's defeat to anything other than the obvious fact that the better team won. Decisively.
Not sure if you're trolling or not, but since the game has been over for five days I assume not, so I'll give you an honest response. I don't think anyone is trying to take anything away from UM. UM played very well and has a good team.

When MSU beat ISU I thought the better team lost as I'm sure a lot of people did, while a lot of folks didn't. MSU w/o Prukop and Johnson just isn't as good as MSU with those two. I thought the same when MSU beat the Griz in 2002. The better team doesn't always win, but you're right UM was better on Saturday and had better players on the field that day.

MSU played poorly for MSU. You might even say that would be a poor performance for the worst team in the FCS. The most decisive thing about the game was MSU's offense played decisively worse than UM's defense. How many FCS games this year had 7 or more turnovers by one team? How many teams turned it over three times (or was it four?) in the red zone? It doesn't matter how good you are on defense, seeing seven turnovers, including nearly half in the red zone, in one game takes more than one team being better than the other. It also takes a really bad effort by one team to make that happen.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:44 pm

I was simply pointing out the bad breaks. I agree: the better team won. Decisively. All you really need to watch is the line of scrimmage and Montana dominated it on both sides of the ball.

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:46 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
And the two touchdowns MSU scored that didn't count. Whatever way you slice it, the Griz got every single break in that game.
Two? I can think of one but am blanking on the other?

Also, UM didn't get every break. If you are giving Johnson the fumble, you have to give Salonoa (sp?) a fumble as well. He clealry had a catch in the second half where he caught the ball, turned up the field, and fumbled but the ref ruled incomplete.

Other than that, yes, most of the big turning points went UM's way.

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:03 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
I was simply pointing out the bad breaks. I agree: the better team won. Decisively. All you really need to watch is the line of scrimmage and Montana dominated it on both sides of the ball.
It's pathetic that MSU's defensive line was dominated by UM's offensive line. What do the Griz have two freshmen and a soph starting along with two career backup seniors? Not that MSU's DL is loaded by any stretch.

I didn't think MSU's run game was all that bad. They had 180 yards when you take out the sack yardage. They couldn't commit to the run game after getting down 17-0. So kind of a victim of circumstance there. The pass game was a whole different story though and UM had a great plan for it as they knew Bleskin wouldn't be taking off and could therefore blitz and not get burned. In fact, just the opposite.

toM StUber

catsack
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catsack » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:30 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:Anyone remember the last time MSU was -6 turnovers? Not too many people are pointing out the roughing the punter call or the non-fumble call on Jordan Johnson. UM scored after both of those. Or we're those on the same drive? They were just as big as any turnover MSU had.

And the two touchdowns MSU scored that didn't count. Whatever way you slice it, the Griz got every single break in that game. They made almost every break for themselves, but there were a couple of crucial calls and mental miscues that went in UM's favor as well.

If you've ever played in a football like this and you're on the wrong side, you know EXACTLY the helpless feeling you have, especially if you are the defense. I remember playing No. 1 Billings Skyview in Billings 10 years ago. Skyview scored on the opening drive, which was expected , then our kick returner fumbled back-to-back kicks. By the time myself and the offense stepped on the field for our first play, it was 21-0. It's one of the most helpless feelings in the world when the momentum is 100 percent on the other side of the matchup.
One of the two touchdowns not called , offensive holding was called so it doesn't matter even if it was ruled a touchdown would have been called back on penalty. He was down prior to crossing goal line anyway . Three plays later you guys scored , so possibly they missed a touchdown no definitive video evidence to overturn the call .

mcg
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mcg » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:29 pm

My point is that cat fans are blaming the loss on a wide variety of unlikely factors: helmets, stolen signals, refs, qb throwing game, coach throwing game, coach inexplicably benching star qb, the list goes on and on. These reasons all allow the kat faithful to ignore the real (and painful) reasons the cats lost: the bobcat players were less skilled than the Griz players and the cat game plan was way inferior to the Griz game plan. The seven turnovers weren't an unhappy coincidence, they were the result of many weeks of coaching and practice and development by the Griz players and coaches. That's not a maroon colored opinion, it's what we could plainly see Saturday afternoon.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:39 pm

mcg wrote:My point is that cat fans are blaming the loss on a wide variety of unlikely factors: helmets, stolen signals, refs, qb throwing game, coach throwing game, coach inexplicably benching star qb, the list goes on and on. These reasons all allow the kat faithful to ignore the real (and painful) reasons the cats lost: the bobcat players were less skilled than the Griz players and the cat game plan was way inferior to the Griz game plan. The seven turnovers weren't an unhappy coincidence, they were the result of many weeks of coaching and practice and development by the Griz players and coaches. That's not a maroon colored opinion, it's what we could plainly see Saturday afternoon.
The game plan being better, I'll concede. The rest is simply not borne out in the statistics leading up to the game.

catsack
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catsack » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:03 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
mcg wrote:My point is that cat fans are blaming the loss on a wide variety of unlikely factors: helmets, stolen signals, refs, qb throwing game, coach throwing game, coach inexplicably benching star qb, the list goes on and on. These reasons all allow the kat faithful to ignore the real (and painful) reasons the cats lost: the bobcat players were less skilled than the Griz players and the cat game plan was way inferior to the Griz game plan. The seven turnovers weren't an unhappy coincidence, they were the result of many weeks of coaching and practice and development by the Griz players and coaches. That's not a maroon colored opinion, it's what we could plainly see Saturday afternoon.
The game plan being better, I'll concede. The rest is simply not borne out in the statistics leading up to the game.
Three of the picks are on the offensive linemen simply getting destroyed by the griz front four, Bleskin getting hit while throwing usually ends bad for a QB , and it did ! This game reminded me how the griz shut Saffron sp down earlier in the year!

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:18 pm

GRZZ wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
And the two touchdowns MSU scored that didn't count. Whatever way you slice it, the Griz got every single break in that game.

Also, UM didn't get every break. If you are giving Johnson the fumble, you have to give Salonoa (sp?) a fumble as well. He clealry had a catch in the second half where he caught the ball, turned up the field, and fumbled but the ref ruled incomplete.

I disagree. I watched the play many times and agree with the call

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:26 pm

Half the things you named out haven't been talked about. Stop trolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:36 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Haha. Isn't the first, won't be the last. :-)

I disagree with your opinion that JJ fumbled. :-)

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

BozCatsFan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BozCatsFan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:58 pm

GRZZ wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Well, I'll let you know that the Big Sky Conference disagrees with you. That play (Johnson's "incomplete pass") was submitted to the league and they agreed it should have been a fumble.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:32 pm

ARE WE PLAYING THE GRIZ THIS WEEKEND?!?!. Great article Colter. The Cats team (AND FANS) either show up on Saturday, or the season is over...THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS NOW...I will be there screaming my head off....GO CATS

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:00 pm

GRZZ wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

:)

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:01 pm

BozCatsFan wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Well, I'll let you know that the Big Sky Conference disagrees with you. That play (Johnson's "incomplete pass") was submitted to the league and they agreed it should have been a fumble.
But he did!