ISU's Mike Kramer named Big Sky Coach of the Year

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:46 pm

Former MSU skipper led Bengals to two more wins (8) than in the past three seasons combined.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Re: ISU's Mike Kramer named Big Sky Coach of the Year

Post by gtapp » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:50 pm

Congratulations Coach K! Well Deserved!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:02 pm

gtapp wrote:Congratulations Coach K! Well Deserved!
Amen to that. I hope he continues to teach young men and women the life's lessons to be learned via perseverance and resiliency. Just his life story will one day be inspirational and success couldn't befall a more deserving individual...congratulations to an individual who made life much better for many members of my family.

Cheshire-CAT
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cheshire-CAT » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:13 pm

Clearly they haven't a clue what is going on in Pocatello. A reporter that isn't an ISU homer might want to do a little digging . . .

BLUE and GOLD all the way!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:38 pm

Cheshire-CAT wrote:Clearly they haven't a clue what is going on in Pocatello. A reporter that isn't an ISU homer might want to do a little digging . . .
Idaho State has graduated every single player in the program since Kramer took over. They went from having the worst APR in the FCS with full-fledge NCAA sanctions — down six scholarships, down a ton of practice time — to having a perfect APR for the last two years. Kramer won more games this season (8) than the team did the last five seasons COMBINED. Idaho State was in the running to be an at-large bid to the playoffs. This is a team that used to make huge news by just winning a single game. The 2011 and 2012 Idaho State teams are the worst in all my years following the Big Sky.

You can think of whatever you want about what went down in Bozeman when Kramer was the head coach at Montana State. But if you don't think this award is warranted, you're just flat wrong. The only reason this doesn't seem like a big deal or a surprise to someone is subconsciously or consciously, everyone knew he was going to do it. He rebuilt two other programs. He's been the Big Sky Coach of the Year four times at three schools.

Don't look now, but Idaho State is quietly building one of the strongest athletic departments in the Big Sky with Jeff Tingey as the AD. The women's basketball team went to the NCAA tournament in 2011 and is consistently in the top four teams in the league with Seton Sobowlewski at the helm. The volleyball team won the league this season. Amanda Ellsworth led the league with 16 goals and led ISU to a third-place finish in soccer. The softball team won the Big Sky in the inaugural season of the league. Because of Holt Arena, the track teams are traditionally good. And now the football team tied Montana State and Montana for second place in the Big Sky standings.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:51 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Cheshire-CAT wrote:Clearly they haven't a clue what is going on in Pocatello. A reporter that isn't an ISU homer might want to do a little digging . . .
Idaho State has graduated every single player in the program since Kramer took over. They went from having the worst APR in the FCS with full-fledge NCAA sanctions — down six scholarships, down a ton of practice time — to having a perfect APR for the last two years. Kramer won more games this season (8) than the team did the last five seasons COMBINED. Idaho State was in the running to be an at-large bid to the playoffs. This is a team that used to make huge news by just winning a single game. The 2011 and 2012 Idaho State teams are the worst in all my years following the Big Sky.

You can think of whatever you want about what went down in Bozeman when Kramer was the head coach at Montana State. But if you don't think this award is warranted, you're just flat wrong. The only reason this doesn't seem like a big deal or a surprise to someone is subconsciously or consciously, everyone knew he was going to do it. He rebuilt two other programs. He's been the Big Sky Coach of the Year four times at three schools.

Don't look now, but Idaho State is quietly building one of the strongest athletic departments in the Big Sky with Jeff Tingey as the AD. The women's basketball team went to the NCAA tournament in 2011 and is consistently in the top four teams in the league with Seton Sobowlewski at the helm. The volleyball team won the league this season. Amanda Ellsworth led the league with 16 goals and led ISU to a third-place finish in soccer. The softball team won the Big Sky in the inaugural season of the league. Because of Holt Arena, the track teams are traditionally good. And now the football team tied Montana State and Montana for second place in the Big Sky standings.
I know you're addressing this to someone else but I want to touch upon what happened to ISU when Boise State and Idaho left ISU behind. Without a doubt Tingey is building a strong Athletic Department and one can't help but wonder how long it is until we receive the same statement Boise made: "We've outgrown the Big Sky." Chris Ault was adamant about Nevada's decision to move up when Nevada went to a bowl game their first year of eligibility and explained it quite succinctly: We made more in Bowl Revenue alone than we did in the entire year last year and we were in the playoffs, so we lost money.

Sorry to detract from your observations but one can't help but wonder with Kramer as a head coach and the group of assistants he's assembled things are going to continue to grow in Pocatello. It's pretty special to all us somewhat older folks to look at how well former Bobcats (and I'll always think of Coach Kramer as a Bobcat) do within the coaching field after they leave MSU...and the list is huge of highly successful former Cat players and coaches.

Cheshire-CAT
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cheshire-CAT » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:14 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Kramer is either unwilling or unable to work with players he did not recruit. Just look at his record every time he takes over a team.

His assault on a player (the only one reported, not the only one) was sufficient for the team doctor to declare the player unable to play. Following that incident, practices were closed (prior, I watched plenty of practices) until such time as reasons to dismiss the player were manufactured. Systemic problems with campus security and law enforcement in Pocatello compounded the issue and the player was convinced to drop the charges and left.

Bullying doesn't even begin to describe what happens to a player that disagrees with Coach Mike. You might want to amend to: "Idaho State has graduated every single Kramer didn't chase off since he took over." This kind of garbage has a way of coming out eventually. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Is he getting results? Sure. No dispute. It's just a crying shame that his methods are perfectly fine with ISU, Pocatello, and now the BSC coaches.

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:09 pm

Cheshire-CAT wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Idaho State has graduated every single player in the program since Kramer took over. They went from having the worst APR in the FCS with full-fledge NCAA sanctions — down six scholarships, down a ton of practice time — to having a perfect APR for the last two years. Kramer won more games this season (8) than the team did the last five seasons COMBINED. Idaho State was in the running to be an at-large bid to the playoffs. This is a team that used to make huge news by just winning a single game. The 2011 and 2012 Idaho State teams are the worst in all my years following the Big Sky.

Kramer is either unwilling or unable to work with players he did not recruit. Just look at his record every time he takes over a team.

His assault on a player (the only one reported, not the only one) was sufficient for the team doctor to declare the player unable to play. Following that incident, practices were closed (prior, I watched plenty of practices) until such time as reasons to dismiss the player were manufactured. Systemic problems with campus security and law enforcement in Pocatello compounded the issue and the player was convinced to drop the charges and left.

Bullying doesn't even begin to describe what happens to a player that disagrees with Coach Mike. You might want to amend to: "Idaho State has graduated every single Kramer didn't chase off since he took over." This kind of garbage has a way of coming out eventually. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Is he getting results? Sure. No dispute. It's just a crying shame that his methods are perfectly fine with ISU, Pocatello, and now the BSC coaches.
This post is full of accusations that are most likely nothing but conjecture. Unless you work for the athletic department at ISU, I seriously doubt your credibility sir.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

Cheshire-CAT
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cheshire-CAT » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:32 pm

You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion. You can verify Kramer's record for his first two years everywhere. You can verify the player assault and subsequent player dismissal. You may dismiss my words as conjecture if you wish. I'm an anonymous internet voice to you. If I could be more forthcoming about my position, I would.

Jobu
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Jobu » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:02 pm

Good grief there are a lot of cranky people on here this week.

Congrats to the Big Human.

Hats for bats. Keeps bats warm.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:09 am

Cheshire-CAT wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Glad that someone finally said it - definitely agree with you sir as the majority of the ice burg is below the surface and not visible to the public eye. I do think the guy is one hell of an X's and O's football coach though, but wouldn't want him teaching my son those "life skills".

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

Wrangler
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Wrangler » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:03 am

When it come to coaching a football team, there are very few in the BSC that are better than Mike Kramer. His record, and recognition by his peers, speaks for itself. However, anytime that an athletic program states that 100% of its kids are graduating, I would be concerned. Not every athlete is attending college with the honest intent of earning a degree. Some are,,,but some are not. Some of these kids are there simply to play football... Personally, I would be surprised if the graduation rate for athletes even MATCHES the overall graduation rate for the student body as a whole. It is my understanding that approximately 60% of the students attending college (nationwide) actually end up obtaining a degree. Why would a football program be any different? I am not trying to put down student-athletes in this post, as those kids that do put forth the effort to compete in a college sport as well as obtain their 4 year degree should be commended. Athletics at the college level are very demanding upon the student's time, and those the can successfully balance the demands of school and athletics are outstanding young men and women. 100% graduation rate???? Seriously? Am I misunderstanding what this appears to be saying?

Cheshire-CAT
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cheshire-CAT » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:26 am

ISU has a 10% on-time graduation rate and a 29% overall graduation rate, well below the national average.

ISU football had a GSR (Graduation Success Rate) of 47 for 2013/2014, compared to MSU's 76.

I was unable to find an APR for 2013/2014. However, 2012/2013 ISU football had a 941, and a 914 for 2011/2012 (although the Bengals official site claims a perfect score of 1000). NONE of the BSC teams had a perfect score. UCD came the closest with a score of 972. The stats are readily available on the NCAA website.