The unknown awaits the Bobcats in San Luis Obispo

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

The unknown awaits the Bobcats in San Luis Obispo

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Montana State hasn't played at Cal Poly since 2005, two years before Rob Ash took over as MSU's head coach.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: The unknown awaits the Bobcats in San Luis Obispo

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:06 pm

What am I missing here - the charter plane can land in SLO but can't take off from there... so how will the plane ever leave? :?:

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:25 pm

91catAlum wrote:What am I missing here - the charter plane can land in SLO but can't take off from there... so how will the plane ever leave? :?:
Is the team staying at the Hotel California? What about the rest of the season?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:27 pm

91catAlum wrote:What am I missing here - the charter plane can land in SLO but can't take off from there... so how will the plane ever leave? :?:
Hmmm, either a type in the article, or perhaps it can take off from there if empty?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:35 pm

catatac wrote:
Hmmm, either a type in the article, or perhaps it can take off from there if empty?
They have the same issue at NAU, can land and take off empty but not take off fully loaded, I think one year at NAU they took off loaded but only had enough fuel to get to the next airport and had to stop and fuel up before flying on to Bozeman.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

JimmyEatWorld
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimmyEatWorld » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:38 pm

St George wrote:
Is the team staying at the Hotel California? What about the rest of the season?
This must be what you're referring to:
"Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
"Relax, " said the night man,
"We are programmed to receive.
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave! "

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:42 pm

The team can land at the SLO airport, but not leave from it. Not a typo. They will fly into San Luis Obispo, bus to Santa Maria and stay Friday. After the game Saturday, they will bus back to Santa Maria and fly home.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:50 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:The team can land at the SLO airport, but not leave from it. Not a typo. They will fly into San Luis Obispo, bus to Santa Maria and stay Friday. After the game Saturday, they will bus back to Santa Maria and fly home.
How does the plane get from SLO to SM?

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:56 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:The team can land at the SLO airport, but not leave from it. Not a typo. They will fly into San Luis Obispo, bus to Santa Maria and stay Friday. After the game Saturday, they will bus back to Santa Maria and fly home.
What's the deal with that?

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Lydell
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Lydell » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:02 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
It's a weight problem. It can land with a full load but it can't take off with a full load. It will take off from SLO empty and pick up the Cats in SM. I would guess the runway is too short.

Lydell
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Lydell » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:06 pm

cats2506 wrote:
catatac wrote:
They have the same issue at NAU, can land and take off empty but not take off fully loaded, I think one year at NAU they took off loaded but only had enough fuel to get to the next airport and had to stop and fuel up before flying on to Bozeman.
I have heard that they lengthened the runway in Flagstaff, so that is not a problem anymore.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:07 pm

Just fire t he travel coordinator now and get it over with.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

ElbowCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ElbowCat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:14 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Google maps says highway 101. :coffee:

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:19 pm

Lydell wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
It's a weight problem. It can land with a full load but it can't take off with a full load. It will take off from SLO empty and pick up the Cats in SM. I would guess the runway is too short.
Ohhhh. Ok. I misinterpreted the original statement.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:25 pm

ElbowCat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Oh ok, do they put it on a truck or does it drive itself

ElbowCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ElbowCat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:22 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
ElbowCat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Autopilot I believe.

In all seriousness it is pretty shocking that a town of almost 50k people doesn't have a runway that allows a loaded 737 to take off. That's not exactly a huge plane.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:24 pm

ElbowCat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
ElbowCat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Autopilot I believe.

In all seriousness it is pretty shocking that a town of almost 50k people doesn't have a runway that allows a loaded 737 to take off. That's not exactly a huge plane.
Ha

Agreed

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:57 pm

ElbowCat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
ElbowCat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Autopilot I believe.

San Fransisco and LA aren't that far away, even by car It's turboprops mainly to get to the larger nearby airports.

The SLO MSA is 275k and the Santa Maria/Santa Barbara MSA is another 430k. Quite a few folks around that area.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:02 am

They are making progress. In the mis nineties I flew with the team to the game and they both landed and took off from Santa Maria.

2024 Resume dominance

BWahlberg
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BWahlberg » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:21 am

I think you guys are going to win big down there, especially based on what was told to me today. I know a lot of people roll their eyes about the "griz hangover" and quite frankly I don't necessarily believe it much either. However, in this case, I might. Cal Poly started their "winter" conditioning with reminders of their OT loss vs Montana. Throughout that time they heard the Montana fight song, saw videos that reminded them of the game, and the coaches even had players attending workouts and spring camp practices in Montana Grizzlies shirts and jerseys.

I think the cats have the talent on offense to win this game regardless of that - but when I heard that it just tells me that Poly is probably in for a big-time let down. They build their entire winter/spring/pre-fall around beating Montana. That's done now. They might not have that mental edge.

Just a little two cents worth sharing over here.