Time in Tijuana helped Martin become mature two-sports athle

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Time in Tijuana helped Martin become mature two-sports athle

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:28 am

Weber State senior defensive end is one of the oldest and most mature players in the league.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

Bobcat Steve
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Time in Tijuana helped Martin become mature two-sports a

Post by Bobcat Steve » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:56 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Weber State senior defensive end is one of the oldest and most mature players in the league.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

Its too bad all the kids aren't given the same opportunities.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:11 pm

Bobcat Steve wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:Weber State senior defensive end is one of the oldest and most mature players in the league.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

Its too bad all the kids aren't given the same opportunities.
Agreed. The NCAA doesn't allow other students to take time off like that without losing eligibility, does it? It could well be a good thing for a lot of different people to take a few years away from college sports to pursue something they are passionate about and discover new perspectives on life, all knowing that they can return to college athletics and get their degree afterwards.

As it stands, competitively, it seems like this is a competitive advantage for schools with large LDS populations.

Great story and it sounds like this experience will be a very positive one for this guy's life.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:40 am

Here's a story I wrote during the Southern Utah week last year about James Cowser and various other SUU missionaries
http://bobcatnation.com/node/628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cowser will be 25 going on 26 by the time he gets to his senior year next year. I met him at the Big Sky meetings this summer. Even guys like Taylor Sheridan or Quinn Catalano, big dudes, still seem like kids to me. I'm five, six, seven years older than them. Cowswer is a straight man. He's enormous. His hand size and the strength of his grip is crazy. He's 6-5, 268 pounds. The guy already has 16.5 tackles for loss giving him a ridiculous 49 over the last 2.5 years.

LDS missions are very beneficial for the maturation of young men, but they are no doubt a huge advantage, especially in football, for those who return to the game and stick it out until they are this age. Can you imagine how strong a guy like Sheridan would be if he got to play until he was 26? He might break the MSU weight room.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:50 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Here's a story I wrote during the Southern Utah week last year about James Cowser and various other SUU missionaries
http://bobcatnation.com/node/628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cowser will be 25 going on 26 by the time he gets to his senior year next year. I met him at the Big Sky meetings this summer. Even guys like Taylor Sheridan or Quinn Catalano, big dudes, still seem like kids to me. I'm five, six, seven years older than them. Cowswer is a straight man. He's enormous. His hand size and the strength of his grip is crazy. He's 6-5, 268 pounds. The guy already has 16.5 tackles for loss giving him a ridiculous 49 over the last 2.5 years.

LDS missions are very beneficial for the maturation of young men, but they are no doubt a huge advantage, especially in football, for those who return to the game and stick it out until they are this age. Can you imagine how strong a guy like Sheridan would be if he got to play until he was 26? He might break the MSU weight room.
Hasn't Ash and co recruited a couple of guys that have done this? Possibly from the Dillion area? If my memory is correct do you expect that they could also have a similar impact when they are seniors or are these more exceptions rather than the norm

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:24 am

If age/maturity was that big of an advantage, wouldn't we see better results from the Utah teams, in more playoff appearances and championships? That includes the FBS schools.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:57 pm

91catAlum wrote:If age/maturity was that big of an advantage, wouldn't we see better results from the Utah teams, in more playoff appearances and championships? That includes the FBS schools.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
If they didn't have that advantage, in theory they'd have even fewer playoff/champsionship/bowl appearances.

Granted, the advantage doesn't overcome the fact that the best athletes in the country tend to not want to play for Utah schools.