Prukop earns national honor; Cats move up in polls

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Prukop earns national honor; Cats move up in polls

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:55 pm

Sophomore quarterback totaled eight touchdowns on Saturday.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: Prukop earns national honor; Cats move up in polls

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:01 am

Excellent article Colter. But, one stat that I found absolutely stunning... DM never had two games in his career where he rushed for over 100 yards? :-k

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:16 am

catatac wrote:Excellent article Colter. But, one stat that I found absolutely stunning... DM never had two games in his career where he rushed for over 100 yards? :-k
That is interesting, but when you consider DM didn't have a lot of designed run plays and only had one season with more carries than DP has had in just six games it starts to make sense. Prukop has 91 carries so far. McGhee had 80 as a frosh, 90 as a soph, and 83 as a senior. He had 137 as a junior, but that was due to a OL that was poor at pass blocking resulting in a ton of sacks and scrambles.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:16 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:
catatac wrote:Excellent article Colter. But, one stat that I found absolutely stunning... DM never had two games in his career where he rushed for over 100 yards? :-k
That is interesting, but when you consider DM didn't have a lot of designed run plays and only had one season with more carries than DP has had in just six games it starts to make sense. Prukop has 91 carries so far. McGhee had 80 as a frosh, 90 as a soph, and 83 as a senior. He had 137 as a junior, but that was due to a OL that was poor at pass blocking resulting in a ton of sacks and scrambles.
Actually I was more surprised that Lulay didn't have more than two 100 yard rushing games, than I was that D-Mac didn't have more than one. As you said (that's right...I'm actually agreeing with you about something) we didn't really call that many designed running plays for D-Mac. Lulay ran much more often than DM, and better, and I would have guessed that he had more than two 100 yard games.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:32 am

John K wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
Actually I was more surprised that Lulay didn't have more than two 100 yard rushing games, than I was that D-Mac didn't have more than one. As you said (that's right...I'm actually agreeing with you about something) we didn't really call that many designed running plays for D-Mac. Lulay ran much more often than DM, and better, and I would have guessed that he had more than two 100 yard games.
ya, I was surprised at Lulay too. I just figured that having that career record for passing and rushing yards there had to be a few 100 yard games in there. Goes to show just how talented Prukop really is. Only half way through his first season. I know we all sound like broken records here but wow, we could be witnessing something truly incredible. All indications are that he's getting better and better with each game... which should scare the **** out of opposing defenses. :shock:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:51 pm

Just for fun, I went back and looked at some statistics for Lulay. I figured that he probably lost quite a few yards from sacks that would keep his rushing totals down:

2002 - Gain 358 Loss 185 = Net 176
2003 - Gain 496 Loss 195 = Net 301
2004 - Gain 504 Loss 133 = Net 371
2005 - Gain 761 Loss 150 = Net 611

Even without losses, the most he ever rushed for was 761 in a season. Which is quite a bit for a QB don't get me wrong, but that is for 11 games aka 69 yards a game before losses, which brings it down to 55 yards per game.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:03 pm

CelticCat wrote:Just for fun, I went back and looked at some statistics for Lulay. I figured that he probably lost quite a few yards from sacks that would keep his rushing totals down:

2002 - Gain 358 Loss 185 = Net 176
2003 - Gain 496 Loss 195 = Net 301
2004 - Gain 504 Loss 133 = Net 371
2005 - Gain 761 Loss 150 = Net 611

Even without losses, the most he ever rushed for was 761 in a season. Which is quite a bit for a QB don't get me wrong, but that is for 11 games aka 69 yards a game before losses, which brings it down to 55 yards per game.
Yeah, Prukop is on a pace to destroy the single season and career QB rushing records, even though he'll only be a 3-year starter, versus 4 years for D-Mac and Lulay.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:39 pm

When Comparing totals from Lulay to McGhee to Prukop it is worth noting that they each ran different offenses that had different strengths.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:56 pm

Common Cat wrote:When Comparing totals from Lulay to McGhee to Prukop it is worth noting that they each ran different offenses that had different strengths.
Good point, so let's take the discussion a step further. How does everything think each QB would have done in each of the offenses? This could be fun.... :lol:

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:58 pm

For reference, Prukop has 460 yards this year and is averaging 77 yards per game despite netting just 5 yards total against North Dakota and Arkansas State. If he continued that pace, he'd rush for 924 yards, but he's averaging 114 in the other four games. I'd say he's a 90-yard per game guy, which would mean he'll easily surpass 1,000 yards.