Bobcats hoping Johnson can be durable feature tailback

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Bobcats hoping Johnson can be durable feature tailback

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:07 pm

The Bobcat senior is one of the fastest players in the country, but can he endure the rigors of being the No. 1 running back?Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bobcats hoping Johnson can be durable feature tailback

Post by technoCat » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:16 am

He doesn't need to be an "every down" back. We need him to hit home runs. We have enough RBs with talent that we shouldn't be wearing any one or two guys down like we have in the past. If we aren't seeing 4-5 guys hit the field a game I will be shocked. Especially with Cramsey's offense looking to get playmakers on the field.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:36 pm

technoCat wrote:He doesn't need to be an "every down" back. We need him to hit home runs. We have enough RBs with talent that we shouldn't be wearing any one or two guys down like we have in the past. If we aren't seeing 4-5 guys hit the field a game I will be shocked. Especially with Cramsey's offense looking to get playmakers on the field.
Hopefully Cramsey is looking at film of what Chip Kelly did with De' Anthony Thomas, and what Urban Meyer did with Percy Harvin. Last season, Oregon tried to use Thomas as a feature back, and he simply wasn't as effective when not given space to use his speed.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

WyomingGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by WyomingGrizFan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:31 pm

technoCat wrote:He doesn't need to be an "every down" back. We need him to hit home runs. We have enough RBs with talent that we shouldn't be wearing any one or two guys down like we have in the past. If we aren't seeing 4-5 guys hit the field a game I will be shocked. Especially with Cramsey's offense looking to get playmakers on the field.

Really, perhaps Shawn Johnson is just being 'accustomed' to being on the field more for the offense, as either a third-down back or there in order to break open the opponents' defense and widen up lanes that otherwise might just not be there with your wide receivers? With what you have already in Chad Newell (6'1" 220) and Anthony Knight (6'1" 240) there shouldn't be that much of a reliance on a 5'9" 175 running back carrying the full load for you guys. Besides, you also have a Gunnar Brekke (5'11" 180) as well. Should be interesting.

Strange to say, but in many ways you Bobcats have a stronger team to contend with than last year. And insofar as your running game goes I'm more worried about Knight and Newell.

Now, I can understand Shawn Johnson as a slot receiver, no less. This, since you already have fairly decent speed in Gunnar Brekke as well. This I infer since I didn't read the above mentioned article; not that much of an 'insider' I guess.

But, if your RBs (Newell & Knight) are averaging four yards a carry between them, that'll open up Johnson as a slot receiver on a 'bubble screen.' All you really need to do otherwise on your passing game is average a mere 150 to 200 yards a game to your wide-outs and #33 would be a flippin' nightmare for opposing defenses coming out of a 'bubble screen' with a wide open field in front of him to work with. It'd be like just another one of his punt returns, again. Horrible thought, there. Forgive me. I didn't say a damn thing.

Really.

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:35 pm

:goodpost: Was thinking the same thing. Pleasantly surprised to have a Griz fan on here that understands the sport and likes discussion.. and not just trolling... Johnson doesn't necessarily need bunches of touches, just be on the field all the time. He'll get his chances, and all of the opposition will need to account for him no matter where he lines up. The decoy factor is always present, but never a bluff. I loved the NAU game when their offense would not even mess with Daly's side of the scrimmage. He was very valuable in limiting there schemes. As far as Johnson, we just need an offense that doesn't waste plays diving into a loaded box, bad snaps from center, false starts, bad clock management, errant passing game, and all the other un-forced errors our offense suffered last year.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

GRZSLAYER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by GRZSLAYER » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:57 am

WyomingGrizFan wrote:

Really, perhaps Shawn Johnson is just being 'accustomed' to being on the field more for the offense, as either a third-down back or there in order to break open the opponents' defense and widen up lanes that otherwise might just not be there with your wide receivers? With what you have already in Chad Newell (6'1" 220) and Anthony Knight (6'1" 240) there shouldn't be that much of a reliance on a 5'9" 175 running back carrying the full load for you guys. Besides, you also have a Gunnar Brekke (5'11" 180) as well. Should be interesting.

Strange to say, but in many ways you Bobcats have a stronger team to contend with than last year. And insofar as your running game goes I'm more worried about Knight and Newell.

Both of these are spot on. I hope Ash doesn't try to use Johnson like he used Kirk the last couple years. Johnson is a good back, but doesn't need to get run into the ground. He is a playmaker in space and should be used as that. The cats have 5 backs that are all very good and bring something different. Knight, Newell & Lasane should all be rotating and wearing down the defense and then sprinkling in Johnson and Brekke to change it up. I feel like Ash always brags about how versatile they are, but he gets stuck on one guy and rides him until he breaks. Case in point Kirk. Three years ago Kirk was great but got wore down and hurt at the end of the year and despite the fact that Robinson was the better back against SHSU we would continually try to use Kirk who's running style wasn't as good against the better teams later in the year and by then he was generally run into the ground and hurt.

This year they could be really special with the 5 guys they have if they give them all a chance. I'm just not sure Ash will let them.

Now, I can understand Shawn Johnson as a slot receiver, no less. This, since you already have fairly decent speed in Gunnar Brekke as well. This I infer since I didn't read the above mentioned article; not that much of an 'insider' I guess.

But, if your RBs (Newell & Knight) are averaging four yards a carry between them, that'll open up Johnson as a slot receiver on a 'bubble screen.' All you really need to do otherwise on your passing game is average a mere 150 to 200 yards a game to your wide-outs and #33 would be a flippin' nightmare for opposing defenses coming out of a 'bubble screen' with a wide open field in front of him to work with. It'd be like just another one of his punt returns, again. Horrible thought, there. Forgive me. I didn't say a damn thing.

Really.

Dakota Prukop -MSU Quarterback
Dude on my plane is wearin a Montana Grizzlie shirt. I'm pretty sure he's the reason our whole plane smells like B.O.

Kurt Davis-MSU Receiver
I needed a change for one, but for two, I HAD to go to Coach Haucks rival school.