Twelve Bobcats who turned heads during spring drills

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Twelve Bobcats who turned heads during spring drills

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed May 07, 2014 11:57 am

Here's a look at a dozen Montana State players who had breakout spring sessions last month.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Wed May 07, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Twelve Bobcats who turned heads during spring drills

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed May 07, 2014 11:59 am

Sorry for dividing the threads. The new way we are posting sends my stories directly into the forum as a new thread rather than to the Bobcat Beat forum where I can to copy and paste the links. We are working on that for situations like this where I write a longer piece about something already being discussed on the board.

TS4341
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by TS4341 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:47 pm

Colter, Taylor is a true 291 lbs and 6'4". Thanks

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed May 07, 2014 1:56 pm

TS4341 wrote:Colter, Taylor is a true 291 lbs and 6'4". Thanks
MSU needs to update the roster. They have him at 277! I thought he looked WAY bigger than that. Thanks for the correction.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed May 07, 2014 1:56 pm

Great write up as usual. Our D Line sounds like it could be even better than I though it was going to be. (Potentially)

Also, one other thing strikes be about this team heading into Fall. Sounds like we have five or six damn good running backs and a damn good O Line. Hmmm. =D^

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

bozely206
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bozely206 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:34 pm

catatac wrote:Great write up as usual. Our D Line sounds like it could be even better than I though it was going to be. (Potentially)

Also, one other thing strikes be about this team heading into Fall. Sounds like we have five or six damn good running backs and a damn good O Line. Hmmm. =D^
I'm holding my judgement until this fall, but if we can rotate running backs like I think we can, our ground game is going to be something to fear.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed May 07, 2014 4:30 pm

bozely206 wrote:
catatac wrote:Great write up as usual. Our D Line sounds like it could be even better than I though it was going to be. (Potentially)

I'm holding my judgement until this fall, but if we can rotate running backs like I think we can, our ground game is going to be something to fear.
True, as long as the passing game is there. If not, opposing teams will stack the box with 8 or 9 guys.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

bozely206
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bozely206 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:39 pm

gtapp wrote:
bozely206 wrote:

True, as long as the passing game is there. If not, opposing teams will stack the box with 8 or 9 guys.
It will be there, I have no doubt of that.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu May 08, 2014 6:14 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
MSU needs to update the roster. They have him at 277! I thought he looked WAY bigger than that. Thanks for the correction.
I asked about the heights/weights before spring ball and was told they'd be updated after spring was over. Now I'm told they won't be updated until August. I don't think they've been updated since last August, which was about nine months ago, so, like Sheridan, there'll probably be some big changes for some of the guys.

Probably won't happen, but if Dees were to end up moving to DE (he played there when Coe was out and I hear he looked good) opposite Coe and Thomas moves into Dees spot at DT, then MSU would go Dees (275), Sheridan (291), Thomas (295) and Coe (250) across the DL. Those are big DEs at this level and not many teams have both DTs over 290. I wouldn't be surprised if Dees and Thomas are bigger. Dees, if he did switch, would probably drop some weight.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu May 08, 2014 10:38 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
I asked about the heights/weights before spring ball and was told they'd be updated after spring was over. Now I'm told they won't be updated until August. I don't think they've been updated since last August, which was about nine months ago, so, like Sheridan, there'll probably be some big changes for some of the guys.

Probably won't happen, but if Dees were to end up moving to DE (he played there when Coe was out and I hear he looked good) opposite Coe and Thomas moves into Dees spot at DT, then MSU would go Dees (275), Sheridan (291), Thomas (295) and Coe (250) across the DL. Those are big DEs at this level and not many teams have both DTs over 290. I wouldn't be surprised if Dees and Thomas are bigger. Dees, if he did switch, would probably drop some weight.
That'd be nice and you might not be too far off. All four of those guys have good speed for their size. Bignell had a good spring and with Leota coming in we could move Dees and still have good depth at DT.

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 95bcfb » Thu May 08, 2014 12:27 pm

I like the optimism on our D line but that is the one spot on defense that really concerns me. In fact I think that D-end may be our weakest position on the entire team (even more than wide receiver). If you compare to last year Coe will be better than last year, Sheridan will be better, whoever ends up at the other D-tackle will likely be better than what we had last year, but I see us taking a HUGE step backwards at the remaining D-end. I don’t think that we have anyone who can rush the QB like Daily. Not even close. I hope I am wrong. But as good as some say the incoming frosh are there is no way a true freshman (particularly one who hasn’t played in a year) is going to have the same kind production that Daily had. I don’t think that Dees has the speed to be a top tear or even an average D-end. Maybe I am wrong but that position worries me. If we have an injury to Coe we will be in trouble. Tell me why I am wrong so that I can sleep at night better :D. The one thing going for us is that I think that Beck is one of the best coaches on the staff and he does seem to build players.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu May 08, 2014 12:42 pm

95bcfb wrote:I like the optimism on our D line but that is the one spot on defense that really concerns me. In fact I think that D-end may be our weakest position on the entire team (even more than wide receiver). If you compare to last year Coe will be better than last year, Sheridan will be better, whoever ends up at the other D-tackle will likely be better than what we had last year, but I see us taking a HUGE step backwards at the remaining D-end. I don’t think that we have anyone who can rush the QB like Daily. Not even close. I hope I am wrong. But as good as some say the incoming frosh are there is no way a true freshman (particularly one who hasn’t played in a year) is going to have the same kind production that Daily had. I don’t think that Dees has the speed to be a top tear or even an average D-end. Maybe I am wrong but that position worries me. If we have an injury to Coe we will be in trouble. Tell me why I am wrong so that I can sleep at night better :D. The one thing going for us is that I think that Beck is one of the best coaches on the staff and he does seem to build players.
I think you are correct but the silver lining this year for me is the fact we might have a decent push up the middle this year, therefore our D-ends won't need to be as fast as last year to get to the QB. I watched the DTs a lot last year during the games and we had absolutely zero push up the middle. It was hard to watch and after I noticed I couldn't stop watching the DTs the rest of the year. All I think we will be way better in the middle this year, which will put less pressure on the DEs trying to get to the QB.

If your left, you aren’t right.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu May 08, 2014 1:11 pm

95bcfb wrote:I like the optimism on our D line but that is the one spot on defense that really concerns me. In fact I think that D-end may be our weakest position on the entire team (even more than wide receiver). If you compare to last year Coe will be better than last year, Sheridan will be better, whoever ends up at the other D-tackle will likely be better than what we had last year, but I see us taking a HUGE step backwards at the remaining D-end. I don’t think that we have anyone who can rush the QB like Daily. Not even close. I hope I am wrong. But as good as some say the incoming frosh are there is no way a true freshman (particularly one who hasn’t played in a year) is going to have the same kind production that Daily had. I don’t think that Dees has the speed to be a top tear or even an average D-end. Maybe I am wrong but that position worries me. If we have an injury to Coe we will be in trouble. Tell me why I am wrong so that I can sleep at night better :D. The one thing going for us is that I think that Beck is one of the best coaches on the staff and he does seem to build players.
Coe is playing in Daly's spot (bandit), not the other DE. The other end was played by Coe/Gale last year. Hutchins and Halliburton are vying for that spot. If Dees, who played some DE in spring and HS, or Marino, who was a ESPN four-star DE in HS, move their it could fix that.

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Thu May 08, 2014 1:14 pm

I will respectfully disagree that Dees couldn’t play DE. At the DE spot he would play he won’t be asked to rush the passer as much the Bandit End where Coe will be playing. His primary responsibility would be to hold that edge and get a good push and force the RB to run up the middle where the DT’s and LB’s will be waiting.
I agree with Hi-Line that I think we will see a much better push up the middle from Sheridan, Thomas, Leota and possibly Bignell. On the outside with Coe at Bandit and either Dees or Hutchinson at DE I think we could potentially (I know some of you hate that word and have to see something in a real game to make an observation) have the best DL in the conference. Just look at the young guys coming up: Halliburton (over achiever), Jeffries, Hayes, Marino, Fa’anono and Yates. Plus Wilcox may be back late in the season.

GO CATS!!!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu May 08, 2014 1:21 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
I think you are correct but the silver lining this year for me is the fact we might have a decent push up the middle this year, therefore our D-ends won't need to be as fast as last year to get to the QB. I watched the DTs a lot last year during the games and we had absolutely zero push up the middle. It was hard to watch and after I noticed I couldn't stop watching the DTs the rest of the year. All I think we will be way better in the middle this year, which will put less pressure on the DEs trying to get to the QB.
Bingo ... a big push up the middle will do wonders for our pass rush/blitzing (when we do it). We need to collapse that middle and bust the QB outside so there are lanes to get to the QB/pressure.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu May 08, 2014 2:56 pm

Being able to get to the QB by rushing 4 = staples of good Bobcat defenses in the past.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:21 pm

CelticCat wrote:Being able to get to the QB by rushing 4 = staples of good Bobcat defenses in the past.
Definitely. The loss of Gale last year was costly early in the season. Coe is good, but he seemed to over pursue a lot as he was getting his feet wet. He got better with time. Would've loved to have seen a healthy Gale for the SMU and SFA games. Very well could've been the difference right there. That guy, as we all witnessed from his Pro Day numbers if not sooner, is a special athlete.

There's a lot more depth on the DL this fall than last year, especially on the interior. The progress of Thomas is very encouraging. This defense could really round into something special. With guys like Young, Foster, Thomas, Leota, Hutchins, Marino, Bignell, Nelson, Garcia, Christensen, etc. rotating in it'll make for fresh legs and minimal dropoffs regardless of who's on the field. It'll be interesting to watch this develop in the fall. Having 8-9 guys that spell starters works.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:30 pm

Too bad Crockett wasn't granted any money. He will go back home because NDSU allows Minnesotans to pay ND in state tuition.

2024 Resume dominance

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri May 09, 2014 8:13 am

Helcat72 wrote:Too bad Crockett wasn't granted any money. He will go back home because NDSU allows Minnesotans to pay ND in state tuition.
That's too bad. Looked like he had an outside shot at cracking the two-deep this year. His brother is at NDSU, so its probably a good fit. Its tough for MSU to slide any money his way considering they're probably going to bring in a transfer and there are three freshmen who look very promising in Herbert, Paige and Sullivan.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri May 09, 2014 9:07 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:Too bad Crockett wasn't granted any money. He will go back home because NDSU allows Minnesotans to pay ND in state tuition.
That's too bad. Looked like he had an outside shot at cracking the two-deep this year. His brother is at NDSU, so its probably a good fit. Its tough for MSU to slide any money his way considering they're probably going to bring in a transfer and there are three freshmen who look very promising in Herbert, Paige and Sullivan.
I keep hearing talk of a transfer WR but noone knows who. Why are we assuming we can pick someone up that will impact us this year?

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level