Different practice vibe highlights spring drills for 'Cats

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Different practice vibe highlights spring drills for 'Cats

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:08 pm

With legendary leaders gone, Montana State is in a noticeable period of transition. It could be the best thing that ever happened to the Bobcats.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Different practice vibe highlights spring drills for 'Ca

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:26 pm

I know some of you will read this, but great deal many will not. Here's two quotes worth posting apart from the piece.

The first came before the second practice of spring drills. I was doing a story on Bryson Keeton, James Nelson and the cornerbacks. Jackrabbit called the captains that early on.
“With the leaders that were here before, I think they left a big impact and the leaders now like Na’a, Tiai, Cole, Quinn Catalano, they are doing a great job of being leaders,” Nelson said the first week of spring drills. “I really commend them every single day that I can because they have really humbled themselves by following first and now it’s their chance to lead and they are doing an awesome job.”
The other quote is from Dakota Prukop. It speaks for itself:
“This team knows the talent we have and the possibilities that could come out of this season,” said Prukop, the front-runner to replace McGhee under center. “There is a lot of confidence about this team. The biggest thing is, it has to do with last season. I don’t like to talk about the past. But if you look at successful programs, every couple of years, there’s a little dip. I think it serves as a reminder that success isn’t given. We aren’t just going to go out and win the Big Sky because we are the Montana State Bobcats. You could really tell this off-season had that as fuel. The mentality of the coaches is apparent. This is a different team with different talent and a different vibe about us. If you come to practice, you can tell there’s a little something extra, a little juice out there.”
These kids catch a lot of heat and are under a lot of pressure to perform. Last season was disappointing for everyone involved. I don't root for or against this team, but having to interview DeNarius McGhee following the Griz loss and seeing the definition of disappointment written across his face was incredibly difficult. How can you not have respect for a kid like McGhee? The university put him on a pedestal as lofty as anyone in the modern history of the school and he never had a misstep. He handled the pressure with poise and class. To watch a kid like Cody Kirk transform his body and truly maximize his potential is impressive. No, he's not curing cancer or eradicating world hunger, but he is putting on a display in the benefits a human can reap through intense focus and mental discipline. By rarely wavering from that discipline, he overcame an ocean of haters and inspired a state of people along the way.

College athletics gets scrutinized pretty heavily these days and justifiably for a great many reasons. But there are still plenty of things that are fantastic about college athletics and college athletes. A young man like James Nelson could have left Montana State. He could have taken the easy way out. He could have gone and played safety for a JC like Palomar and been closer to home. He could have never taken the chance to go from Long Beach Poly to Bozeman, Montana. But now he's got a shot to play in his final year. And much more importantly, he's going to earn his degree. He wants to be an elementary teacher in inner city Los Angeles. He will probably end up as a coach and touch the lives of youths for years. He's lived outside his comfort zone for four years in a completely foreign place. He is and will continue to be a well-rounded individual with great courage and perspective. That's what makes college athletics worth supporting.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:28 pm

=D^

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:21 am

That was very impressive by Nelson to have named the four captains two weeks ago. I was scratching my head on that one as I was reading it.

Prukop's quote did indeed speak for itself. We fans only get a minor glimpse at what the players are like as people. Sometimes we probably read too much into the things they do, good or bad. Sounds like there are a lot of really good guys on the team though. The things I hear about Marshall, Flowers, and now Nelson and Prukop are very positive. With 104 players on the team things will pop up from time to time, but I'm very satisfied with what I'm seeing out of all the MSU sports programs.

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:53 am

Colter, please substantiate your statement that Prukop is the front runner at QB. Is this your opinion? is he listed as number 1? Did the coaches say something?

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:13 pm

Walk-on wrote:Colter, please substantiate your statement that Prukop is the front runner at QB. Is this your opinion? is he listed as number 1? Did the coaches say something?
I know you're not supposed to editorialize in a report, but in this case I think he's just stating the consensus that he's hearing from other observers, including those on this board.

Walk-on

Post by Walk-on » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:20 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
Walk-on wrote:Colter, please substantiate your statement that Prukop is the front runner at QB. Is this your opinion? is he listed as number 1? Did the coaches say something?
I know you're not supposed to editorialize in a report, but in this case I think he's just stating the consensus that he's hearing from other observers, including those on this board.
Maybe? I'm not doubting Colter, but I'd still like him to answer the question definitively.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Maybe because he started with the 1's during the final scrimmage? Hell, I don't know... just a hunch.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:18 pm

Dakota Prukop took the most first-team reps when the spring session was all said and done. He started the spring game. Those two things are facts.

I tabbed him the front runner because of those two things along with my observations, so yes opinion was involved. In my opinion, Prukop is the man to beat for the starting job this fall.

Walk-on

Post by Walk-on » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:21 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Dakota Prukop took the most first-team reps when the spring session was all said and done. He started the spring game. Those two things are facts.

I tabbed him the front runner because of those two things along with my observations, so yes opinion was involved. In my opinion, Prukop is the man to beat for the starting job this fall.
Thanks for clarifying.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:29 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Dakota Prukop took the most first-team reps when the spring session was all said and done. He started the spring game. Those two things are facts.

^this.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Walk-on

Post by Walk-on » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:35 am

CatBlitz wrote:

^this.
This may be true. In fact I don’t doubt it, but I would suspect that the coaches would have had him start regardless. Jake started two games last year and has gotten other reps. I think Dakota Prukop needed to start and get more reps to truly compare him to Jake, and evaluate him at game speed. While seemingly apparent I still can’t conclude that he is the front runner. Of course this is the only time I’ve seen Prukop play, and have not been in the practice mix. I trust Colter’s experience with the team, and his conclusion. But the article needed clarification since the team is not on record as stating such. Plus Colter was distracted by a wedding.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:53 am

Another reason to consider Prukop the front runner is that the red jerseys were never removed, yet he was even with Bleskin. If they're even in all other areas, then you have of give the edge to Prukop because he's the better runner.