OC & QB Coach to Utah State?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Re: OC & QB Coach to Utah State?

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:17 pm

USUonU wrote:USU fan here. I'm curious what you guys thought of your offense this year and of McGiven? How many bubble screens did he run per game?
I think he was an OK coach. He was only here one season so tough to see. We had a few games where we scored huge points (60's and 50's) but our last 3 games we scored 16 each. So kinda tough to see. From what I remeber there weren't that many bubble screens. Good luck to him!

catdaddy7
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catdaddy7 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:20 pm

bpcats20 wrote:If we keep Coach Mac and he becomes the OC I could see Ash hiring a QB coach that would coach the passing game and QB's. On game day Coach Mac would call the plays but the offensive playbook would be a collaboration.

However, MSU's playbook is probably pretty well developed by now for both the run game and passing game...so Coach Mac could be OC and just hire a QB coach.

Either way this sucks...but not surprised.
You knew it was coming, I'm just glad it was not coach Mac. It does seem logical to promote Mac and hire a QB coach and
Ash is a pretty logical guy;;;..... We'll see. [-o<

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........

USUonU
New Recruit

Post by USUonU » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:26 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
USUonU wrote:USU fan here. I'm curious what you guys thought of your offense this year and of McGiven? How many bubble screens did he run per game?
I think he was an OK coach. He was only here one season so tough to see. We had a few games where we scored huge points (60's and 50's) but our last 3 games we scored 16 each. So kinda tough to see. From what I remeber there weren't that many bubble screens. Good luck to him!
Thank You. Good luck to you guys.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:29 pm

I would be pleased if Ash promotes Coach Mac. I tend to agree with what I believe the collective wisdom of this forum is saying, is that he is ready. We won't miss a step.

Bringing in a new guy for OC always seems to be a bit of a gamble, and if we're going to gamble on McGhee's senior season, let's roll the dice with Mac.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Coyote77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Coyote77 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:33 pm

vike_king wrote:
John K wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:If he does go there, I'd love to see McEndoo get the OC position here.
I'm asking this question from a perspective of no knowledge what-so-ever ... but does McEndoo have excellent skills in terms of playcalling? We all know he's a master OL coach, but does he have that same level of skill for orchestrating an offense? They seem like they could be largely distinct skill sets.

Of course, if it keeps him in Bozeman, that alone would a positive to promoting him.
Wasn't it rumored that McEndoo was a little butt hurt about not getting the OC job last season? If that was true, and if he was passed over again, I'm guessing that he might think pretty seriously about going elsewhere, maybe even if it was just a lateral move.
Hopefully he was a "little bit hurt"
I have to agree with you Vi-Queen. big difference between the levels of pain there.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:33 pm

Damn. I was hoping to keep some continuity and retain all of our coaches for and entire 2 seasons. The turnover ends up hurting the offense, IMO. Hasn't DMac had a different OC 2 out of the last 3 seasons? This sucks... :|

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:44 pm

I didn't like the offense myself. A lot of two back pistol formation. Didn't give our downhill running backs a chance to pick up speed before they hit the line of scrimmage. Passing game was successful (good QB and receiver). Overall I am not sad to see McGiven go, but maybe thats just me

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

OC & QB Coach to Utah State?

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:48 pm

The other benefit of Mac moving to OC is that Link is already partially coaching OL schemes during games so we could have a pretty seamless transition if we just hire a QB coach.

catdaddy7

Post by catdaddy7 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:02 pm

I just tweeted Colter and he has calls in at USU and with McGiven. No official word yet.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Meanwhile, over on the USU football forum:
http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25131" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:14 pm

I for one hoped to see a second year from McGiven, mostly for the continuity, but if this is true I wish him well. He was a good OC, as good as any we've had in the Ash era anyway, and I believe that our offensive problems were as the staff has already noted (and most of us have figured out). Since we are running play-action, we need to get bigger/stronger on the OL in order to be enough of a running threat against the better defenses (NDSU, UM, and SHSU are the best most recent examples but any any of the top level teams) in order to be effective.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

GoCats23
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GoCats23 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:13 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Like, 2.
Yeah, but remember the one to Cody against PSU right after halftime for the TD when he threw the dude off him? Good times.

catdaddy7

Post by catdaddy7 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:20 pm

So we'll be playing USU at home right before our bye week before Cat/Griz? Sounds like fun already.
Good luck to McGivens.

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:24 pm

Wade Denniston ‏@wdbowler
The Herald Journal has learned and confirmed that Kevin McGiven will be hired as USU's offensive coordinator. He is returning to the Aggies.
Retweeted by Colter Nuanez

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:49 pm

Was Wright here for 2 seasons ? Rachac says it's our 3rd in 3 years.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:54 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Was Wright here for 2 seasons ? Rachac says it's our 3rd in 3 years.
Ya Wright was here for 2 years. Rachac messed up
Last edited by Bozcat003 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:06 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Was Wright here for 2 seasons ? Rachac says it's our 3rd in 3 years.
Ya Wright was here for 2 years. Rachael messed up
Greg is correct. This will be our 3rd OC in three years. Wright in 2011; McGiven in 2012; and whoever our new OC is in 2013. The new person will be MSU's third in three years.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Not if we hired Wright again. :P

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:23 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Not if we hired Wright again. :P
Well, you got a point there!! :lol:

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:59 pm

IMHO this works out just fine for MSU. Had McGiven stayed that would've been fine, too, but I had the feeling he wouldn't be here long with his resume and connections. A good OC is nice, but it mostly falls on the skills of the players. You hear a lot of people rag on OCs, but good players will execute no matter what the play call is most of the time.

I don't think they can go wrong by putting McEndoo in the position. The players will play for him we know that. We've seen his ability to get the OL to execute, so it seems logical that he can carry that over to the entire offense. In other words, if his ability to coach the offense is the same as his ability to coach the OL, then MSU should thrive if he gets the job.

toM StUber