STATS COMPARISON: Stony Brook/Villanova/MSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

STATS COMPARISON: Stony Brook/Villanova/MSU

Post by kmax » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:58 am

A side by side look at the 2012 season stats for MSU and the two potential second round opponents, Stony Brook and Villanova.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
Last edited by kmax on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Edit

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

jjohnston
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: STATS COMPARISON: Stony Brook/Villanova/MSU

Post by jjohnston » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:11 pm

Oh no....here come the stat geeks :wink: I will enjoy reading the analysis from some of them though...but I'm sure my head will start hurting!

Stony Brook put up some crazy offensive numbers, are they that good, or is it a weak conference like I've heard floating around?

We OWN both of these teams in penalties though! Damn Big Sky refs :wink:

I'd like to introduce you to our host...he's got his...and I've got mine...meet the decline

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:13 pm

How does a team get a MISC YARDS?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Of note, as you will see when looking at the stats page author, these are courtesy of Nation user Counter Assault. Thanks for the hard work to put in to get this together.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:15 pm

kmax wrote:Of note, as you will see when looking at the stats page author, these are courtesy of Nation user Counter Assault. Thanks for the hard work to put in to get this together.
I saw that. Must have really took some time--thank you!

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:47 pm

While compiling this, Stony Brook looks really strong just on the numbers. Strong total offense, huge run numbers, nearly as good passing numbers. Really good in the red both scoring and actual touchdowns. Their fumbles and lost fumbles are way lower. This is where we stuck out badly was on the fumbles and losses.

I would be interested to see the power rankings of the opponents now, but based on these numbers, Stony Brook looks really good both on their points totals and all the allowed figures.

As we all know, numbers are just numbers.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Villanova is 17th in the GPI and Stony Brook is 23rd, so looks like the computer rankings favor Villanova slightly. I imagine Stony Brook is ranked low due to their weak conference, however they have been very impressive when they have played out of conference against better competition (beat Army by 20, led Syracuse at the half and lost by 11).

Team10

Post by Team10 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:58 pm

I was looking at all these stats last night myself and was having a hard time focusing and making any sense of them. Stony Brook has put up some pretty big offensive numbers. Both teams favor the run heavily! We have completed more passes then either of them has attempted this season. I would say, after looking at these state, I would like to play Nova over Stony Brook. Some of the stats just don't add up either. Last, looking at the attendance of both teams, what they see all season at their home games we put up in 2 games. Hopefully people bail on the Christmas stroll and come support the Bobcats.

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:02 pm

I agree generally, I think I would prefer Nova on paper.

Some of the stats didnt make sense to me either and I compiled it... there could be my mistakes too... i had to hand move most of that crap in excel after pasting it off the web.

One note - both of their away attendendance was as large as our home attendence, so they are used to seeing some bigger crowds on the road.
Team10 wrote:I was looking at all these stats last night myself and was having a hard time focusing and making any sense of them. Stony Brook has put up some pretty big offensive numbers. Both teams favor the run heavily! We have completed more passes then either of them has attempted this season. I would say, after looking at these state, I would like to play Nova over Stony Brook. Some of the stats just don't add up either. Last, looking at the attendance of both teams, what they see all season at their home games we put up in 2 games. Hopefully people bail on the Christmas stroll and come support the Bobcats.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:32 pm

Counter Assault wrote:I agree generally, I think I would prefer Nova on paper.

Some of the stats didnt make sense to me either and I compiled it... there could be my mistakes too... i had to hand move most of that crap in excel after pasting it off the web.

One note - both of their away attendendance was as large as our home attendence, so they are used to seeing some bigger crowds on the road.
Team10 wrote:I was looking at all these stats last night myself and was having a hard time focusing and making any sense of them. Stony Brook has put up some pretty big offensive numbers. Both teams favor the run heavily! We have completed more passes then either of them has attempted this season. I would say, after looking at these state, I would like to play Nova over Stony Brook. Some of the stats just don't add up either. Last, looking at the attendance of both teams, what they see all season at their home games we put up in 2 games. Hopefully people bail on the Christmas stroll and come support the Bobcats.
I don't think they are used to large crowds on the road. I think those are bolstered by huge crowds in their 1-A games. They may have seen 30-40,000+ in those games.

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:44 pm

Stony Brook is a lot like UM was under Hauck BIG offensive line, power run and a nice passing attack off of that. Their OL goes LT 300, LG 300, C 280, RG 300, RT 345lbs and have a Walter Payton candidate at RB running behind them.

Their conference not considered very strong but they are legit team. Except for some Landers of SHSU getting out on the edge a few times, they held their own at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Their offense isn't really explosive but is very good at putting drives together.

We will have our hands full either way.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:48 pm

It will be extremely interesting to see how the Villanova/Stony Brook game plays out. Hopefully it's a close, physical contest where the two teams punch each other in the mouth for 60 minutes.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:42 pm

wbtfg wrote:It will be extremely interesting to see how the Villanova/Stony Brook game plays out. Hopefully it's a close, physical contest where the two teams punch each other in the mouth for 60 minutes.
Ya, let's hope for this... because the more I read about both of these teams, the more I'm worried about playing either of them... gonna be tough battles from here on out.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

jjohnston
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jjohnston » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:50 pm

catatac wrote:
wbtfg wrote:It will be extremely interesting to see how the Villanova/Stony Brook game plays out. Hopefully it's a close, physical contest where the two teams punch each other in the mouth for 60 minutes.
Ya, let's hope for this... because the more I read about both of these teams, the more I'm worried about playing either of them... gonna be tough battles from here on out.
Yeah...we have a long tough road in these playoffs.

I'd like to introduce you to our host...he's got his...and I've got mine...meet the decline

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:40 pm

jjohnston wrote:
catatac wrote:
Also agree. I am praying we keep winning and that EWU loses so we keep the homefield all the way through. If we win obviously.

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:46 pm

MSU01 wrote:Villanova is 17th in the GPI and Stony Brook is 23rd, so looks like the computer rankings favor Villanova slightly. I imagine Stony Brook is ranked low due to their weak conference, however they have been very impressive when they have played out of conference against better competition (beat Army by 20, led Syracuse at the half and lost by 11).
Thank you.

Where are the Cats on the same measure? Where do you go for those measures?

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:56 pm

Counter Assault wrote:
jjohnston wrote:
catatac wrote:
Also agree. I am praying we keep winning and that EWU loses so we keep the homefield all the way through. If we win obviously.
Part of me wants that, but part of me doesn't. I want to play those guys again :twisted:

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:48 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:
jjohnston wrote:
catatac wrote:
Part of me wants that, but part of me doesn't. I want to play those guys again :twisted:
I do too. And it would likely be warmer in Cheney. I could stand to get away from the office.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

85CatGrad
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 85CatGrad » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:09 pm

For what it's worth, here's how Saragrin rates the playoff teams:

Rank Team
51 NDSU
68 SHSU
81 MSU
83 SDSU
85 EWU
88 Cent. Ark.
92 Cal Poly
95 Indiana St.
97 Illinois St.
98 G. Southern
99 S. Illinois
109 E. Illinois
114 Old Dominion
119 Wofford
125 Villinova
129 App. State
141 Stony Brook
146 New Hampshire
149 Bethune Cookman
162 Coastal Carolina
165 Colgate
185 Wagner

Hope I didn't overlook any teams.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:44 pm

Counter Assault wrote:
MSU01 wrote:Villanova is 17th in the GPI and Stony Brook is 23rd, so looks like the computer rankings favor Villanova slightly. I imagine Stony Brook is ranked low due to their weak conference, however they have been very impressive when they have played out of conference against better competition (beat Army by 20, led Syracuse at the half and lost by 11).
Thank you.

Where are the Cats on the same measure? Where do you go for those measures?
The Cats are 2nd with a 2.43 GPI. I didn't find the most current one just now, but it was there yesterday somewhere.
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/cont ... -%28GPI%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!