Cats lose RB

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcatftbl
BobcatNation Redshirt

Cats lose RB

Post by bobcatftbl » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:06 pm

Dan McInerny quit the program the other day because they would not give him any scholarship money. I believe he proved to be the best back currently on the roster during spring ball and still no money, however other backs that did not prove to be as much of an asset continue to get funds for school. The Cats lost a great player in Dan and should be ashamed at themselves for not giving him the respect he deserves. Maybe there is a reason for the teams actions, I'm not really sure, but if there is a reason I would love to know what it is. I didnt think it was right when it took Turnquist all the way until his final year to get a full scholarship. One of the best recievers in school history was on partial scholarship for nearly all of his career. Doesnt make sense to me, if anyone else can explain this I would appreciate it.

rtb

Turnquist

Post by rtb » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:22 pm

I would say that Scott didn't earn the scholarship until he was a senior, but that is my opinon. Scott dropped a lot of balls that were catchable and wasn't really a reliable guy until last year. I think that Scott worked his butt off and got a scholarship when he deserved it. I understand that playing football without a scholarship is like being asked to work for no pay, but I am a fan of Kramer's way of making kids earn the money they get. They get a free education or partially paid for education for playing a game.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:48 am

I'm sorry to hear that.
I think that Dan has tremendous potential, and wish that money could have been freed up for him. I understand the situation I assume he is in, in that he wants to play, and wants to go to school, but has to have a way to pay for it.
Dan, you have the chance to be a very good running back, I wish it was at MSU....but we understand. Good luck, and thank you for your hard work on and off the field.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:03 am

I haven't discussed this with coach Kramer, but I can only believe that with our shortage of money, he has put a premium on scholarships. We may be able to have 90 men on our roster, but it doesn't mean we have to give out the total 65(?) scholqrships. The ASA was $135,000 short of funding all of the athletic scholarships last year, so I can't see how we can give out all of the money that we are allowed. I really don't understand all of the "creative bookeeping" that goes on with "Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul" but what it comes down to is running a class operation with a tight budget, and to me, Mike Kramer has done a great job! He has won two conference championships by personally selling the program around the state and the region. There is no other coach I can think of that barnstorms the state repeatedly and meets so many fans as Mike Kramer. He realizes that the boosters are the lifeblood of the MSU football program, and it can't be self supporting until we win. That is his goal and he has personally rtaken it upon himself to spearhead it. I have had my differences with what he has done a few times in the last 5 years, but when it comes down to it...we are really lucky to have him here, maybe not as much a football coach, as a program builder.

2024 Resume dominance

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:38 am

I'm sure not being able to give Dan a scholarship hurt Kramer as much as it did a lot of us. Kramer is a fare coach, but we do have Domineck/Milton/Gathing already in the list. Domineck is going to be the starter probably from what I've heard and Milton has a scholarship (not sure on Gathing). So its hard to divy out 4 full rides for 4 deep at your RB position. I think Dan is gonna make somebody a very fine running back though. He'll get picked up by someone.