Cats sign Marvin Moss

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

KSCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Cats sign Marvin Moss

Post by KSCAT » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:27 pm

MSU press release:

BOZEMAN, Mont. -- The Montana State basketball team signed the
power forward it sought Wednesday when Marvin Morris signed a National
Letter-of-Intent to join the MSU program, Bobcat coach Mick Durham
announced.
Morris is a 6-6, 230-lb forward at West Hills Junior College in
Colinga, CA. He averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds last season. "He is a
stud," said Colinga coach Mark Arce. "He was a 20 (points) and 10
(rebunds) guy, but he also was second on the team in assists and led us
in steals and blocks, and made the all-conference defensive team. Marvin
is a great player who has a chance to do great things at Montana State."
Durham said that Moss has the chance to fill one of the team's
most pressing needs, an athletic, versatile presence inside. "Marvin is
a very skilled, athletic player," Durham said. "We watched him all year,
and he is exactly the type of player we've been searching for. We wanted
to add some scoring punch, which Marvin certainly does. He put up good
offensive numbers, but he knows how to play the game. He has some
toughness to him. He's long, which helps him inside, but he has good
perimeter skills. He shoots from the perimiter and passes well."
Durham credits Moss' development to the junior college program
in which he played. "Marvin had a breakthrough year for Coach Arce
(pronounced RC) this year. He has been well-coached in junior college.
We're excited that Marvin is going to join our program."
Moss is MSU's first signing of the spring recruiting period.

Bobcat Born, Bobcat Bred, Gonna Be a Bobcat til' the day I'm Dead!!!!!!!!!!

KSCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by KSCAT » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:32 pm

Sorry about the Morris typo. I just received a resend witht the corrections made.

Bobcat Born, Bobcat Bred, Gonna Be a Bobcat til' the day I'm Dead!!!!!!!!!!

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:55 pm

This is awesome news... Hopefully our new guys can come in and make an immediate impact. We will definately need them to.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:58 pm

KSCAT
That typo happened on the original press release and the Cat web site. MSU sent out a correction about 6 minutes later.

I really think Moss will help out alot next year. He really has the credential it seems to make his presents known on the inside, offensively,and on the boards and help establish a threat there. I also think he can actually give Towsley and Owsley more oppertunites to score by drawing defensive attention away from them.

I hear that Durham and company are looking real hard a JC shooter/ gaurd small forward right now, from what I hear. If the final touches are put on eliminating the 5-8 rule boy I would love him to sign a 6-8 or bigger space eater who has no intention of taking a three.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:00 am

A little more on Moss from Moss
He may be an East Coast guy, but 6-5 West Hills (CA) forward Marvin Moss will continue his college basketball career on the West Coast.

Moss told JUCO Junction on Tuesday night that he will play at Montana State next year. He picked MSU over Quinnipiac and Robert Morris.

A native of Wheaton, Md., Moss took official visits to all three programs before rendering a decision. He visited Montana State (Feb. 28-March 1), Quinnipiac (March 26-28) and Robert Morris (Apr. 8-10), but spent the past two weeks going back and forth with the decision.

"Montana State has been so persistent the whole time, and they came to see me several times," Moss explained. "They stayed with me for a long time, and any time I had a question, they seemed to have a good answer for it."

While basketball played a role in Moss' decision, equally important was the living situation. Moss is hoping to live off campus with his girlfriend and child, and of the three finalists, Montana State afforded him the best options.

Moss averaged 20.5 points, 10.2 rebounds, 2.2 assists, two blocks and 1.8 steals per game in 2003-2004. He shot 58 percent from the field and 59 percent from the foul line.

West Hills finished 16-10 overall and 9-5 in the Central Valley Conference this season, thanks in large part to Moss' handiwork.

Moss was a first team all-conference selection, and probably would have won league MVP honors if not for the presence of Fresno City's Tyrone Jackson (an Arizona State signee).

He's an inside/outside threat with a knack for tracking down rebounds. He should be an impact newcomer in the Big Sky Conference next season.

"I am going to do for them what I've done here," Moss said. "Play defense, score when I need to."

"I could play both the wing and the post, although the four will be my primary position," he continued. "They also want me to be able to play out on the wing a bit, because they have a 6-10 center in the program."

Moss, who began his junior college career at Moberly Area C.C. two years ago, will have two years of eligibility at Montana State.