players released

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

gfallscat
BobcatNation Letterman

players released

Post by gfallscat » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:12 am

i heard some players were released yesterday...for any numerous reasons...mainly because grades or just not being at a level the coaches felt could help the team...

can anyone varify this?

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:38 am

I have heard the same rumor though I only heard one name. As I have not been able to confirm for sure if the player was released I am not going to list him here, but it would appear that there were a few trimmed from the roster following end of spring drills.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:56 am

Is there a limit as to the number of players that the team can keep on the roster (regardless of whether they are on scholarship or not) due to Title IX (or some other rule)? If so, is it in necessary to have some attrition to make room for the new signees and walk-on's that are coming in this fall? I'm not really sure how that whole process works.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:17 am

I believe the following from the NCAA Manual would cover that question BAC, and would probably mean that yes some attrition may be necessary to make room for newcomers before camp starts this summer if the sqaud is near the limit. Not sure if that is necessarily the case with the players I heard were released or if it was just other factors.
17.11.2.1.2 Limit on Number of Participants -- Division I-AA. I-AA

In Division I-AA football, there shall be a limit of 90 student-athletes who may engage in practice activities prior to the institution's first day of classes or the institution's first contest, whichever occurs earlier. (Adopted: 1/11/94)
Note this may not take into account any problems arising from title IX. I didn't really want to try and figure that mess out.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:23 am

So by reading between the lines, it sounds like some of these players were fairly high profile? That is, I am assuming that it wouldn't have been mentioned if we were talking about a couple walk-ons that few people knew much about?

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:33 am

Like I said, I heard that there were some players released, but I only heard one name and that information came to me approximately third hand. For that reason I am not going to publicly announce the name unless I can get it confirmed elsewhere as I would hate to say something like that about a player and be wrong.

gfallscat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by gfallscat » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:16 am

i was not referencing that any players in particular were released...for sure i had not heard any real "name players"

just wondering, as it seems like we have guys coming in and i was not sure how many schlorships we had left

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:18 am

No names? but what position did they play?
Last edited by CARDIAC_CATS on Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:43 pm

I wonder how many scholarships Kramer really has tied up? He just presented Brant Birkeland with a full ride. I thought Brant already had one, or at least a good partial. It makes me think that Kramer has more kids working for full rides than we might think. He does always talk about enjoying seeing their eyes light up when he announces that they will be given one after they have worked for it rather than before they set foot on campus.

I think that's why he recruits kids that really want to play for the Bobcats rather than those just looking for a handout from anybody. I wish we could do that with the "blue chippers" out of highschool too. The ones that hang around for a couple of quarters and then flunk out or get into trouble!
Last edited by Helcat72 on Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2024 Resume dominance

raincat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by raincat » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:54 pm

In a post sometime back we read that Coach Kramer did not give out any partials, which surprised me. So, isn't our limit 62 full rides? Previous coaches would give 45-50 full rides and divide the remaining dozen or so about 30 different ways.