Trivia Question

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Trivia Question

Post by wbtfg » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:24 am

How many times has EJ Cochrane kicked the ball out of bounds on a Kick Off during the past 3 year?

The winner will get a lifetime subscription to bobcatnation.com

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:27 am

Heck of a question... I'm going to have to say 7, although that may be a bit low!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:28 am

WAY too low

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:31 am

HEY! You can't be giving away lifetime subscriptions like that...oh wait, it's already free, carry on.

For the record, I have no idea, but just that you would ask this question makes me very happy that we have two new kickers coming in next fall.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Catdad39
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catdad39 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:46 am

I have been to all of those games in person(except 1) and I would guess around 20. It can be frustrating at times.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:50 am

I can't even think about kicking out of bounds, without thinking about that horrible day in 1997. Ouch.

Can you imagine how good our defense would have been last year, if we hadn't spotted the Offense up to 15 yards on each of those kicks??

Speaking of kicks, it appears that Lulay is going to continue to do our punting chores - what are your thoughts?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:53 am

very close Mr. Eggart. The actual number is

NINE

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:54 am

TEEN

That's right sports fans. Mr. EJ Cochrane has kicked the ball out of bounds 19 times over the past three years.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:56 am

HelenaCat95 wrote:Speaking of kicks, it appears that Lulay is going to continue to do our punting chores - what are your thoughts?
I love it when we are already in position to give the other team a long way to go after any punt, say between the forties. I really think it works well there, reminds me of the days when Elway used to do the quick pooch punt for the Broncos.

However, when we are backed up much further than our forty, I just don't care for it much. Just too much to go wrong at that point and I would much rather have a real punter back there that can drill the ball 40 yards and point it out of bounds or force a few fair catches with hang time.
Last edited by kmax on Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:50 pm

crap... I guess I'll have to find another way to earn that lifetime membership. 19??? WOW, might as well try onside kicks every time.

Catdad39
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catdad39 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:08 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:I can't even think about kicking out of bounds, without thinking about that horrible day in 1997. Ouch.

Can you imagine how good our defense would have been last year, if we hadn't spotted the Offense up to 15 yards on each of those kicks??

Speaking of kicks, it appears that Lulay is going to continue to do our punting chores - what are your thoughts?
Helena Cat, Lulay's punts were key down the stretch last season...nobody seemed to do anything with them. We were making big plays on our punt returns while our opponents were usually averaging less than 5yds per return. I think it helps control momentum..which is very difficult in sports! Just my two cents..probably all its worth!

VictorG
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by VictorG » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:08 am

Catdad39 wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:I can't even think about kicking out of bounds, without thinking about that horrible day in 1997. Ouch.

Helena Cat, Lulay's punts were key down the stretch last season...nobody seemed to do anything with them. We were making big plays on our punt returns while our opponents were usually averaging less than 5yds per return. I think it helps control momentum..which is very difficult in sports! Just my two cents..probably all its worth!
I thought it was a great weapon for you guys last year provided Lulay got off a good kick. However, I think that teams may adjust a little better for it this year and may actually figure out how to get a return or 2 off it.

Catdad39
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catdad39 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:01 am

Victor, That is a good point. I really thought teams would figure it out last year, too. We started doing it pretty early in the season (I think it was the Saint Mary's game) and it seemed like nobody really ever did much against it. It will be interesting to watch next year.