Off-season Portal additions/losses

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Off-season Portal additions/losses

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed May 01, 2024 11:55 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 11:41 am
So were Anaya and Parks the only post-Spring ball losses? I know the big names left right after the season ended but only 2 spring exits seems really good.
It does seem good. Portal closed last night, right? I don't know anything about this stuff...it might open back up tomorrow for all I know.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed May 01, 2024 11:57 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 11:55 am
coloradocat wrote:
So were Anaya and Parks the only post-Spring ball losses? I know the big names left right after the season ended but only 2 spring exits seems really good.
It does seem good. Portal closed last night, right? I don't know anything about this stuff...it might open back up tomorrow for all I know.
I think Parks was in the first portal.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed May 01, 2024 12:14 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 11:57 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 11:55 am
coloradocat wrote:
I think Parks was in the first portal.
I do too. Obviously a player can still get picked up once the portal is closed, but it seems like a good sign that nobody else jumped in before it closed this time around. I'm pretty sure it doesn't open again until August 1 but I'm not confident in my online sources!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Thu May 02, 2024 12:58 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:56 pm
I guess I need to put this here too.
https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 3f238.html

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon May 13, 2024 9:39 am

Kendric finally got an offer. Good for him.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:04 pm

People (coaches especially) always say once you quit at something it makes it that much easier to quit again. And I agree and I think it’s a great approach, because if you keep quitting you’ll eventually find something you like and be happy. 😊

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon May 13, 2024 9:06 pm

Offers rolling in now.

Last edited by AFCAT on Mon May 13, 2024 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 13, 2024 9:15 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:06 pm
Offers rolling in now.

Would he be Knerdic Bailey with the Adams Atoms? I’ll show myself out.

toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat May 18, 2024 9:04 am

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat May 18, 2024 9:14 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 9:04 am
Happy tat Garrett found a spot to go, but hope this one doesn’t come back to haunt us.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun May 19, 2024 10:48 am

Our backups are transferring to other FCS programs. That’s a sign of roster strength right there.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun May 19, 2024 12:07 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 10:48 am
Our backups are transferring to other FCS programs. That’s a sign of roster strength right there.
Totally agree.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue May 21, 2024 1:35 pm

So where are we at here for any remaining additions? Any offers out there that are pending?

I have been pretty blunt about needing a new FG kicker (my opinion), and I’m shocked it hasn’t happened yet…. Any offers out there?

What else do we need? Maybe 1 more solid LB to add to the rotation or even someone that could be a starter? I think there are some younger guys on the team that will be great, but not sure if they are ready yet…

I think DL is pretty solid now…. OL should be good…. Maybe a backup QB (sounds like the current backups had mixed reviews out of spring ball)…

FTG- GO CATS GO!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue May 21, 2024 1:45 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 1:35 pm
So where are we at here for any remaining additions? Any offers out there that are pending?

I have been pretty blunt about needing a new FG kicker (my opinion), and I’m shocked it hasn’t happened yet…. Any offers out there?

What else do we need? Maybe 1 more solid LB to add to the rotation or even someone that could be a starter? I think there are some younger guys on the team that will be great, but not sure if they are ready yet…

I think DL is pretty solid now…. OL should be good…. Maybe a backup QB (sounds like the current backups had mixed reviews out of spring ball)…
Current known offers are in the 2024 recruiting thread. Looks to me that there is only one current offer and that’s for a receiver. The other five offers are really old. I noticed Vigen started following another transfer receiver the other day though. Personally, I’d like to see another linebacker or dlineman, but I’m just a fan.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue May 21, 2024 2:00 pm

mslacatfan wrote:

Vigen had multiple interviews during spring ball where he made it sound like he'll be bringing in a new FG kicker. He said nice things about Casey Kautzman but also strongly hinted that the position is still in flux, while at the same time pretty explicitly stating that Hall is sticking to KO/P where he belongs.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue May 21, 2024 2:07 pm

mslacatfan wrote:

There probably aren’t a lot of players out there that are both interested in MSU and are able to make the rotation at many positions. I don’t see MSU bringing more than 1-2 players in, if that. Its a testament to the current roster.

Kicker seems like an obvious spot but it’s hard to say if anyone on board hasn’t improved.

toM StUber

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue May 21, 2024 2:48 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 2:07 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

There probably aren’t a lot of players out there that are both interested in MSU and are able to make the rotation at many positions. I don’t see MSU bringing more than 1-2 players in, if that. Its a testament to the current roster.

Kicker seems like an obvious spot but it’s hard to say if anyone on board hasn’t improved.
Would all the drop downs have been grabbed up pre-spring ball?

I would think we'd still have a shot at guys that washed out on FBS teams or just want a bigger role. Maybe that's already happened but seems like everyone, at all levels, still loses guys in the second round of the portal so there have to be some we'd want. Would have to be drop downs though.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue May 21, 2024 3:05 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 2:48 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I would think we'd still have a shot at guys that washed out on FBS teams or just want a bigger role. Maybe that's already happened but seems like everyone, at all levels, still loses guys in the second round of the portal so there have to be some we'd want. Would have to be drop downs though.
I don’t think MSU is in the market for depth players, so that really puts a dent in the number of players it’s looking at. Unless someone has a legitimate shot at breaking into the rotation, they probably aren’t going to MSU. Seems like MSU is pretty content across the board unless a can’t miss player shows interest. MSU is in really good shape.

I don’t think MSU is looking for players for next season right now. Probably have their eye on some guys that they might offer after this season but I doubt it’s narrowed down.

toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue May 21, 2024 4:37 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 3:05 pm
coloradocat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I don’t think MSU is in the market for depth players, so that really puts a dent in the number of players it’s looking at. Unless someone has a legitimate shot at breaking into the rotation, they probably aren’t going to MSU. Seems like MSU is pretty content across the board unless a can’t miss player shows interest. MSU is in really good shape.

I don’t think MSU is looking for players for next season right now. Probably have their eye on some guys that they might offer after this season but I doubt it’s narrowed down.
Vigen just started following two WR transfers on Twitter in addition to the one WR transfer MSU recently offered.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue May 21, 2024 7:47 pm

coloradocat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Seems to me that plenty of good enough players entered the portal at the end of spring ball and have yet to decide where they're going. Right now I'd imagine guys are still weighing offers. It's not a dead period for transfer portal players is it? I don't know how that works. Like TC88 said, I don't think the market has a whole lot of guys MSU would be interested in (or that would be interested in MSU). I know for kickers, a bunch of them got picked up by Alabama, Notre Dame, Oregon, etc...so I'd imagine plenty of them are hoping for that kind of opportunity. If you can't get one of those guys, I think you're looking at unproven commodities, and I don't think we're looking for any of those. Unfortunately, kicking in a windy, snowy place where there aren't big NIL opportunities is not what these guys are looking for in a perfect world. Kicking a frozen ball with frozen toes sucks.