Next Up: Weber

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Next Up: Weber

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:04 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:19 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:04 pm
Borges getting the start =D^ Like seeing Chapman on the depth chart as well

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:15 pm

Big Sky Breakdown: Jeff Choate on Weber State matchup
https://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-bre ... e-matchup/

Montana State head coach Jeff Choate recaps his team’s 24-23 victory over Idaho and looks ahead to Saturday’s game at No. 7 Weber State.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:22 am

I would bet Weber won't blitz heavy and force Andersen to beat them with his arm.
Troy will have to have his best passing game and also mix that run when he can.
I would like to see some of our inverted wishbone if we have the healthy personel available.
O line will have to have its best game to date.
Will have to see how NC scored 28 and take a Q on that.
Defense will have to be opportunistic and +2.
We will punt, and have to be on our game there.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:27 am

catatac wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:57 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:01 pm
Weber allowed just 62 yards rushing on 36 carries to EWU last weekend!!! That is the scariest thing about this game IMO. EWU is a very good running team this year. If we're not able to run with at least some limited success, I don't know how we'll score any points. Our O-line, RBs, and TA have to find a way to move the ball a bit.
Weber just loaded up the box to make sure EWU couldn't run on them and forced them into a throwing game. Inexperienced QB, didn't work out for them. TA probably won't light it up through the air but I'd be willing to bet he does better than what the EWU QB did Saturday. He's going to have to.
For what it's worth, EWU's freshman actually had better passing stats going into the Weber game than Andersen has now. It's probably not worth much, since it was such a tiny sample, and almost all of it game in one game.
kwcat wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:22 am
I would like to see some of our inverted wishbone if we have the healthy personel available.
Isn't that called a diamond or a full house?
kwcat wrote:
NC had 33 runs and 33 passes, but the vast majority of their yardage came in the air. 5 of the runs were actually sacks. NC also scored three passing TDs in that game, two of which came in the first half while the game was still competitive.

Choate isn't gonna have Andersen pass the ball 33 times. I'm not even sure I'd want him to.
Last edited by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:30 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:27 am
catatac wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:57 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:01 pm
Weber allowed just 62 yards rushing on 36 carries to EWU last weekend!!! That is the scariest thing about this game IMO. EWU is a very good running team this year. If we're not able to run with at least some limited success, I don't know how we'll score any points. Our O-line, RBs, and TA have to find a way to move the ball a bit.
Weber just loaded up the box to make sure EWU couldn't run on them and forced them into a throwing game. Inexperienced QB, didn't work out for them. TA probably won't light it up through the air but I'd be willing to bet he does better than what the EWU QB did Saturday. He's going to have to.
For what it's worth, EWU's freshman actually had better passing stats going into the Weber game than Andersen has now. It's probably not worth much, since it was such a tiny sample, and almost all of it game in one game.
kwcat wrote:
Isn't that called a diamond or a full house?

NC had 33 runs and 33 passes, but the vast majority of their yardage came in the air. 5 of the runs were actually sacks. NC also scored three passing TDs in that game, two of which came in the first half while the game was still competitive.

Choate isn't gonna have Andersen pass the ball 33 times. I'm not even sure I'd want him to.
Yes, diamond is correct. Word escaped me.
Thanks.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:13 am

Weber EWU highlights

Weber fan board.
https://bigskyfans.com/wildcats/viewtop ... f=3&t=8392

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:52 am

I think the best way to beat Weber is to out-defend them if that makes sense. That’s what NAU did. Weber got 14 of their 24 points directly off turnovers. A fumble return for TD (2pt conf) and two field goals after 3-and-outs. They ran eight plays for one yard and got six points. Tuttle is a good kicker. Weber had just 10 first downs and 173 total yards.

I think MSU is capable of playing just as well defensively as NAU and EWU vs. Weber. If it can eliminate the turnovers and long returns that’s a good recipe for getting a win.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:22 am

I thought it was interesting to hear Choate say TA had his "Best week yet" throwing the ball in the week leading up to UI. Obviously that didn't translate on game day but I think the conditions were pretty rough for passing on Saturday. I would bet we will see TA make some great throws on Saturday in Ogden.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:37 am

catatac wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:22 am
I thought it was interesting to hear Choate say TA had his "Best week yet" throwing the ball in the week leading up to UI. Obviously that didn't translate on game day but I think the conditions were pretty rough for passing on Saturday. I would bet we will see TA make some great throws on Saturday in Ogden.
Idaho was ready for what we wanted to do too. They were sagging off the receivers just begging us to throw quick passes and their d linemen were not rushing hard so they could knock the passes down. I think that got Andersen in a bit of a funk and he started pressing. We should have gone over the top a couple times early like we did against EWU because I think that just jump-started the whole offense. We will need to take shots against Weber and Troy better bring his A game. This will definitely take a team effort to have a chance.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:38 am

That’s an interesting statement. I don’t think Andersen took many snaps until Wednesday. Idaho had the pass game nailed early. The wind also factored in. Looks like great weather in Ogden.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:12 am

I assume Weber will run press man on the outside, the question is whether or not we have the QB/WR's that can beat man coverage.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:21 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:12 am
I assume Weber will run press man on the outside, the question is whether or not we have the QB/WR's that can beat man coverage.

I actually really like our WR group this year. Before the season started, most people thought they would be a weak link on the team.... If we had a more traditional/passing QB, I think this group of WR's would be putting up some big numbers. Can you imagine the numbers Kassis would be putting up if he had a passing QB like EWU/UC Davis/Idaho State, I think Kassis is as good as anyone.

anyway, to answer your question. yes. especially Travis Jonsen, he is more athletic than probably any CB in the league. The question is if he can make the catch though....

FTG- GO CATS GO!

2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 083190 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:30 am

Last year Weber absolutely killed us with underneath routes by the WR's and TE. Then they would run off the DB's and drop it off to the RB on circle routes. Not sure how many 3rd ands that they converted. Last week UI also had success with the short crossing routes. If they cannot defend those better this week, it's gonna be a long day and a lot of snaps for the defense.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:18 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:21 am
wbtfg wrote:

I actually really like our WR group this year. Before the season started, most people thought they would be a weak link on the team.... If we had a more traditional/passing QB, I think this group of WR's would be putting up some big numbers. Can you imagine the numbers Kassis would be putting up if he had a passing QB like EWU/UC Davis/Idaho State, I think Kassis is as good as anyone.

anyway, to answer your question. yes. especially Travis Jonsen, he is more athletic than probably any CB in the league. The question is if he can make the catch though....
You answered part of the question, but there are two parts to the equation. Can with WR's get separation, and do we have a qb who can throw into a tight window?

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:11 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:18 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:21 am
wbtfg wrote:

You answered part of the question, but there are two parts to the equation. Can with WR's get separation, and do we have a qb who can throw into a tight window?

WR- yes. QB- nope. (unless one of the true freshman plays... maybe they can)

FTG- GO CATS GO!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:13 pm

083190 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:30 am
Last year Weber absolutely killed us with underneath routes by the WR's and TE. Then they would run off the DB's and drop it off to the RB on circle routes. Not sure how many 3rd ands that they converted. Last week UI also had success with the short crossing routes. If they cannot defend those better this week, it's gonna be a long day and a lot of snaps for the defense.
That said, the senior Cantwell was running the show then. His successor isn't nearly as productive as he was...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:52 pm

Cantwell was one of the most perfect fits for an offense ever. I don't think he starts on any other Big Sky team last year. But he was perfect for Weber.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:55 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:52 pm
Cantwell was one of the most perfect fits for an offense ever. I don't think he starts on any other Big Sky team last year. But he was perfect for Weber.
Totally agree, and not to mention last year's tight end is now playing in the NFL.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:28 pm

FIRST LOOK: Weber State hosts Bobcats in key Big Sky tilt
https://skylinesportsmt.com/first-look- ... -sky-tilt/