Who wins the QB battle?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Post Reply
superbobcat
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:14 am

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by superbobcat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:02 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:38 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:36 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:42 pm
I’m going all in on Travis Jonsen as our QB game 1 ... but who knows
It will not be him. Take that to the bank! My bet is Anderson!!
It won’t be Jonsen. Right now he is 4th on the dep, behind Bauman, Troy, and Rovig.
I think Bauman is the real deal. With that said, we have a lot of our run offense built around a mobile QB. Troy fits itbetter. With Troy at QB , the other backs have holes open much easier.With Troy at RB all the focus shifts all to him.i just think we are more explosive and dangerous out wit Troy taking snaps. I’m not going to gripe about either.



Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:42 pm

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:38 pm

I’d like to see Tucker or Casey step up and make the # 1 Bobcat QB however if they don’t, I don’t have a
Problem with the Coaches putting the Best available QB, on the field this year. I imagine Chris Murray with
the ability to pass, and that would be Troy Andersen. Saturday will be very telling,looking forward to that
Scrimmage.


Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

DLane
New Recruit
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:31 pm

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by DLane » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:21 pm

Hey Bobcat/Eagle Uncle come out and plaaaaaaaay...........



User avatar
catgrad05
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1584
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:51 am
Location: North Central Montna

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by catgrad05 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:49 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:02 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:38 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:36 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:42 pm
I’m going all in on Travis Jonsen as our QB game 1 ... but who knows
It will not be him. Take that to the bank! My bet is Anderson!!
It won’t be Jonsen. Right now he is 4th on the dep, behind Bauman, Troy, and Rovig.
I think Bauman is the real deal. With that said, we have a lot of our run offense built around a mobile QB. Troy fits itbetter. With Troy at QB , the other backs have holes open much easier.With Troy at RB all the focus shifts all to him.i just think we are more explosive and dangerous out wit Troy taking snaps. I’m not going to gripe about either.

I’ve had this gut feeling ever since Chris was ruled out this year that spring and summer where focused around him being the QB. If that’s the case than Troy is the closest to that type of player and the team does not have to be re invented. We will be a ground and pound triple option offense again this year. The interesting aspect of all this is we continue to recruit option QBs. I think choate wants a Rovig or Bauman type qb but we are a year or two away from that (my money is on Rovig getting playing time before Bauman but time will tell). At some point the team will have a “re haul”. Because the style Choate really wants is not being practiced much at this time



superbobcat
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:14 am

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by superbobcat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:28 am

I absolutely agree. Running the ball ground and pound is first and foremost. Having 100% the “Choate” type of players is second. A kind of Team first thing!! As I said before, TA is so diversified that he can do both, under center and spread triple option. The others are limited in one or the other. Not that they aren’t talented, just limited. Bauman is a wow, I feel sorry for Rovig , it appears his struggle is in his head, Jonson is super athletic but battles accuracy and injury issues. Just my thoughts.



User avatar
BobCatFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by BobCatFan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:53 am

This all seems to be sad news. We have 3 or 4 players but we don’t have a Qb.

I did not like the hire of our coach. He was not a coach the believed in pass first game but 3 of his qb’s are that type of qb. Troy seems to fit his style. If he is the winner most of you are saying, I will be 100% behind him. Being a leader/winner usually over comes a big arm.

You know what they say, if you have a Qb by committee, you don’t have a Qb.

Good luck to young man that wins this job.



bobcat99
Member # Retired
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:01 am

BobCatFan wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:53 am
This all seems to be sad news. We have 3 or 4 players but we don’t have a Qb.

I did not like the hire of our coach. He was not a coach the believed in pass first game but 3 of his qb’s are that type of qb. Troy seems to fit his style. If he is the winner most of you are saying, I will be 100% behind him. Being a leader/winner usually over comes a big arm.

You know what they say, if you have a Qb by committee, you don’t have a Qb.

Good luck to young man that wins this job.
Everything regarding his recruiting and coaching indicates Choate prefers a passing QB. You have to use what you have though. If a coach is willing to go against his preference bc he thinks that gives us the best shot at winning, then that’s a good coach.



User avatar
luckyirishguy25
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:59 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:12 am

BobCatFan wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:53 am
This all seems to be sad news. We have 3 or 4 players but we don’t have a Qb.

I did not like the hire of our coach. He was not a coach the believed in pass first game but 3 of his qb’s are that type of qb. Troy seems to fit his style. If he is the winner most of you are saying, I will be 100% behind him. Being a leader/winner usually over comes a big arm.

You know what they say, if you have a Qb by committee, you don’t have a Qb.

Good luck to young man that wins this job.
Back off the ledge Sally.



User avatar
Hi-Line Bobcat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2469
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:23 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:49 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:02 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:38 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:36 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:42 pm
I’m going all in on Travis Jonsen as our QB game 1 ... but who knows
It will not be him. Take that to the bank! My bet is Anderson!!
It won’t be Jonsen. Right now he is 4th on the dep, behind Bauman, Troy, and Rovig.
I think Bauman is the real deal. With that said, we have a lot of our run offense built around a mobile QB. Troy fits itbetter. With Troy at QB , the other backs have holes open much easier.With Troy at RB all the focus shifts all to him.i just think we are more explosive and dangerous out wit Troy taking snaps. I’m not going to gripe about either.

I’ve had this gut feeling ever since Chris was ruled out this year that spring and summer where focused around him being the QB. If that’s the case than Troy is the closest to that type of player and the team does not have to be re invented. We will be a ground and pound triple option offense again this year. The interesting aspect of all this is we continue to recruit option QBs. I think choate wants a Rovig or Bauman type qb but we are a year or two away from that (my money is on Rovig getting playing time before Bauman but time will tell). At some point the team will have a “re haul”. Because the style Choate really wants is not being practiced much at this time
Actually, it was the exact opposite this last spring and summer from what I have heard. The coaches knew, starting last fall during the season that Murray was in trouble with grades, so I assume they were planning on him possibly not being around. I talked to a guy who works closely with the MSU football department this summer and he flat out told me in his honest opinion Choate knew that Murray wasn't going to make grades before Christmas of last year and that he had stated to his coaching staff the possibility of going another route at QB. In addition, I also heard that one of our coaches told some of his family members, that about halfway through last year the staff believed that Murray would be ineligible come this fall. Granted the person who told me this was one of the family members, so I didn't hear the said coach say it first hand.

I believe all the coaches knew Murray could become academically ineligible. Based off that, I think they have tweaked the offensive playbook or at the very least have an understanding that the play calling will be a little different this year versus last year. According to the people I mentioned above, it seems like the coaching staff has had plenty of time to plan for this.


"I have an unhealthy obsession with Bobcat football...and arguing!!"

asstastic
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:54 am
Location: A Cave in the Musselshell

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by asstastic » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:23 am
catgrad05 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:49 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:02 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:38 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:36 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:42 pm
I’m going all in on Travis Jonsen as our QB game 1 ... but who knows
It will not be him. Take that to the bank! My bet is Anderson!!
It won’t be Jonsen. Right now he is 4th on the dep, behind Bauman, Troy, and Rovig.
I think Bauman is the real deal. With that said, we have a lot of our run offense built around a mobile QB. Troy fits itbetter. With Troy at QB , the other backs have holes open much easier.With Troy at RB all the focus shifts all to him.i just think we are more explosive and dangerous out wit Troy taking snaps. I’m not going to gripe about either.

I’ve had this gut feeling ever since Chris was ruled out this year that spring and summer where focused around him being the QB. If that’s the case than Troy is the closest to that type of player and the team does not have to be re invented. We will be a ground and pound triple option offense again this year. The interesting aspect of all this is we continue to recruit option QBs. I think choate wants a Rovig or Bauman type qb but we are a year or two away from that (my money is on Rovig getting playing time before Bauman but time will tell). At some point the team will have a “re haul”. Because the style Choate really wants is not being practiced much at this time
Actually, it was the exact opposite this last spring and summer from what I have heard. The coaches knew, starting last fall during the season that Murray was in trouble with grades, so I assume they were planning on him possibly not being around. I talked to a guy who works closely with the MSU football department this summer and he flat out told me in his honest opinion Choate knew that Murray wasn't going to make grades before Christmas of last year and that he had stated to his coaching staff the possibility of going another route at QB. In addition, I also heard that one of our coaches told some of his family members, that about halfway through last year the staff believed that Murray would be ineligible come this fall. Granted the person who told me this was one of the family members, so I didn't hear the said coach say it first hand.

I believe all the coaches knew Murray could become academically ineligible. Based off that, I think they have tweaked the offensive playbook or at the very least have an understanding that the play calling will be a little different this year versus last year. According to the people I mentioned above, it seems like the coaching staff has had plenty of time to plan for this.
Can we not be “pound and ground” with a quarterback who rushes for 350 yards and 10 touchdowns? Somebody find Casey Bauman’s senior year stats. It’s not like these guys have their feet bedded in cement under center. Chris Murray was a freak athlete who did his best to play quarterback. I want a quarterback who does his best to run whatever offense the coach tells him to run.

Why do we have 10 running backs on our roster or receivers for that matter? Going to the extreme with some people’s logic, let’s do the exact opposite of the stitt show in Missoula and not recruit receivers.


Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002

User avatar
Darth Yoda
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by Darth Yoda » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:51 am

Here's my first take on the subject, and this is obviously before the first scrimmage. Andersen will start our first game at QB. He will be able to handle the pressure of Gold Rush and manage the game effectively. At some point in the season, maybe Wagner or maybe more like mid season, Bauman or Rovig will be named the starter. We are a better football team with Andersen at RB and the better of Bauman or Rovig at QB. We won't want to rush those guys into action until they are ready, and Andersen will do a good job until then. All season long Andersen will still get reps at QB in an "enhanced Wildcat", but will be listed as our starting RB on paper.

Jonsen will be WR, and gives us a legitimate deep threat. Glad he's a Bobcat.



iaafan
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3494
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by iaafan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:59 am

MSU doesn’t need a QB that can light up the scoreboard. Murray accounted for 2721 yards of offense. If the next QB can produce somewhere in the neighborhood of that I don’t see a drop off. The other backs ran for 1,620 yards, which alone was more than four BSC teams. Their 5.6 avg was better than everyone.

I think it’s more important to have an improved pass rush and place kicking game. I think those areas cost MSU 3-4 games last year.



User avatar
coloradocat
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by coloradocat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:14 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:51 am
Here's my first take on the subject, and this is obviously before the first scrimmage. Andersen will start our first game at QB. He will be able to handle the pressure of Gold Rush and manage the game effectively. At some point in the season, maybe Wagner or maybe more like mid season, Bauman or Rovig will be named the starter. We are a better football team with Andersen at RB and the better of Bauman or Rovig at QB. We won't want to rush those guys into action until they are ready, and Andersen will do a good job until then. All season long Andersen will still get reps at QB in an "enhanced Wildcat", but will be listed as our starting RB on paper.

Jonsen will be WR, and gives us a legitimate deep threat. Glad he's a Bobcat.
I like this idea. Let the "veteran" start the season through the non-conference games and whoever wins the job between Bauman/Rovig can be worked in during the Wagner game and then get his first start in the favorable PSU conference opener. That will give those two more practice time and an easy first game. It will also give EWU only one game to prepare for the new QB.



Long Time Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 644
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:40 am
Location: North Idaho

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:29 am

If TA is the leader that people say is I like the Troy Anderson Tim Tebow comparison. Maybe not a great passer but a great leader. In my opinion if Troy Anderson starts the first game as quarterback he starts the last game as quarterback unless he is hurt.


"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8956
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by CelticCat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:51 am
Here's my first take on the subject, and this is obviously before the first scrimmage. Andersen will start our first game at QB. He will be able to handle the pressure of Gold Rush and manage the game effectively. At some point in the season, maybe Wagner or maybe more like mid season, Bauman or Rovig will be named the starter. We are a better football team with Andersen at RB and the better of Bauman or Rovig at QB. We won't want to rush those guys into action until they are ready, and Andersen will do a good job until then. All season long Andersen will still get reps at QB in an "enhanced Wildcat", but will be listed as our starting RB on paper.

Jonsen will be WR, and gives us a legitimate deep threat. Glad he's a Bobcat.
This is pretty much Colter's take here -



The MICKSTER
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:55 pm

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by The MICKSTER » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am

A few things;
• If Coach Choate meant it when he said something to the effect of “….this year our QB may be our best rusher” then it will either be Jonsen or Andersen. However, I don’t know if he meant that literally or simply that IF Andersen or Jonsen were to become our QB then we’d likely be in a comparable situation as the past couple of years. IF Bauman or Rovig become our QB, they will not be our leading rusher.
• If the coaching staff KNEW that CM was going to be academically ineligible this Spring, they would have given Rovig, and possibly Andersen, a lot more reps at QB then, not giving most of the reps to CM. It’s obvious that they knew it was a possibility, but I believe they thought that CM would be eligible, and that is why he got most of the reps this Spring.
• Switching from Andersen to either Bauman or Rovig would be a dramatic change in offensive play calling. Not that it won’t happen, but WOW what a game plan change that would be.
• Mr. Andersen can be a Team Leader no matter what position he lines up at.
• IF the coaching staff narrows the QB competition down to 2 after this scrimmage, it seems to me that they will have 3 different ways they could decide to go: 1) they may decide that having a mobile athletic QB is the way to go and then the competition would be between Andersen & Jonsen, or 2) if they decided having the best ‘pocket passer’ type QB (keeping TA at RB) is the way to go then the competition would be between Bauman & Rovig, or 3) they decide who the best athletic QB is (Andersen or Jonsen) and who the best ‘pocket passer’ QB is (Bauman or Rovig) and they have ~ 10 days to decide which type of QB (i.e. offensive system) they want to have.

GOOD LUCK COACHES AND GO CATS!



User avatar
catatac
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5361
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by catatac » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:14 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:29 am
If TA is the leader that people say is I like the Troy Anderson Tim Tebow comparison. Maybe not a great passer but a great leader. In my opinion if Troy Anderson starts the first game as quarterback he starts the last game as quarterback unless he is hurt.
Totally with you on this one LTC. If TA actually starts in Gold Rush and wins against a super tough opponent, no way they change that up heading into SDSU. Then if we could go into SDSU and beat the #4 team in the nation in their house, no way in hell anybody even suggests changing that up injuries aside.

Edit this, I suppose it's possible in that scenario above the coaches could possible spring a surprise element heading into SDSU but I doubt it.


Great time to be a BOBCAT!

User avatar
catsrback76
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6408
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:18 am
Location: 2300 meters up in Ethiopia!

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:17 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:49 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:02 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:38 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:36 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:42 pm
I’m going all in on Travis Jonsen as our QB game 1 ... but who knows
It will not be him. Take that to the bank! My bet is Anderson!!
It won’t be Jonsen. Right now he is 4th on the dep, behind Bauman, Troy, and Rovig.
I think Bauman is the real deal. With that said, we have a lot of our run offense built around a mobile QB. Troy fits itbetter. With Troy at QB , the other backs have holes open much easier.With Troy at RB all the focus shifts all to him.i just think we are more explosive and dangerous out wit Troy taking snaps. I’m not going to gripe about either.

I’ve had this gut feeling ever since Chris was ruled out this year that spring and summer where focused around him being the QB. If that’s the case than Troy is the closest to that type of player and the team does not have to be re invented. We will be a ground and pound triple option offense again this year. The interesting aspect of all this is we continue to recruit option QBs. I think choate wants a Rovig or Bauman type qb but we are a year or two away from that (my money is on Rovig getting playing time before Bauman but time will tell). At some point the team will have a “re haul”. Because the style Choate really wants is not being practiced much at this time



Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7377
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Big Sky Country
Contact:

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:21 am

catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:14 am
Long Time Cat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:29 am
If TA is the leader that people say is I like the Troy Anderson Tim Tebow comparison. Maybe not a great passer but a great leader. In my opinion if Troy Anderson starts the first game as quarterback he starts the last game as quarterback unless he is hurt.
Totally with you on this one LTC. If TA actually starts in Gold Rush and wins against a super tough opponent, no way they change that up heading into SDSU. Then if we could go into SDSU and beat the #4 team in the nation in their house, no way in hell anybody even suggests changing that up injuries aside.

Edit this, I suppose it's possible in that scenario above the coaches could possible spring a surprise element heading into SDSU but I doubt it.
I guess I'm a little confused about why people seem to assume Troy Andersen is a below average passer. He throws a better ball with way more zip than most of the quarterbacks Montana State had on its roster the last two years...

The QBs now look much better when you watch them simply warm up. Andersen, Bauman, Rovig when he's in his groove, Beltran all throw better balls than Chris Murray, Brady McChesney, Ben Folsom, Kamden Brown. And although Travis Jonsen has sort of a funky release, he throws the ball with more zip than Murray as well.
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.


TWITTER:@Skylinesportsmt
FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/skylinesportsmt1
BIG SKY BREAKDOWN ON ITUNES
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/big ... 1131856462
SUBSCRIBE TO SKYLINE SPORTS
https://skylinesportsmt.com/subscriptions/

User avatar
RobertCats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 978
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:08 pm
Location: Conrad, MT

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by RobertCats » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:31 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:21 am
catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:14 am
Long Time Cat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:29 am
If TA is the leader that people say is I like the Troy Anderson Tim Tebow comparison. Maybe not a great passer but a great leader. In my opinion if Troy Anderson starts the first game as quarterback he starts the last game as quarterback unless he is hurt.
Totally with you on this one LTC. If TA actually starts in Gold Rush and wins against a super tough opponent, no way they change that up heading into SDSU. Then if we could go into SDSU and beat the #4 team in the nation in their house, no way in hell anybody even suggests changing that up injuries aside.

Edit this, I suppose it's possible in that scenario above the coaches could possible spring a surprise element heading into SDSU but I doubt it.
I guess I'm a little confused about why people seem to assume Troy Andersen is a below average passer. He throws a better ball with way more zip than any of the quarterbacks Montana State had on its roster the last two years...

The QBs now look so much better when you watch them simply warm up. Andersen, Bauman, Rovig when he's in his groove, Beltran all throw better balls than Chris Murray, Brady McChesney, Ben Folsom, Kamden Brown. And although Travis Jonsen has sort of a funky release, he throws the ball with more zip than Murray as well.
Image



Post Reply