Who we lose----needs

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Who we lose----needs

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:16 am

onceacat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:Minter was a game changer in more than a few games no doubt . Yate's I thought was a game changer in
Colorado this year, and was impressed when he ran stride for stride with Bryson McCabe in pursuit of the
NAU running back on the long TD run. Big Boy running w/ the safeties has some wheels . I would put in
a Jumbo package on Offense for short yardage and give Tucker the Ball. Expect our D - Line will see more improvement
next year. Would love to see a true pass rusher develop or come in.
One would think with Choates connections he can pick up a few drop down DL kids who will help the rotation and finally provide a decent rush. I wish Choate hadn't kicked the kid off for busting his teammates jaw fighting over a girl or suspended Nick for four games. But he did and who knows? Next year he gets some more receivers like him, some linemen and another Lasane type running back.

I'm excited to see what a more physical 19 year old Chris Murray looks like. Developmentally, he's where Dak Prescott and Cam Newton were at that age and can you imagine what Murray will be like when he gets up to about 235 to 250? I hope he is on track for graduation in four years because there are more than a few major colleges that would like to have him for one year!
Murray at 250, huh? mmmkay.

Are you really that slow? Look at what Prescott and Newton weighed when they were skinny little 17 and 18 year old kids. mmmmmm kay.....some of you need to give the kid a break for Christ's sake! Same damn ones who were drooling over the kid who left for Oregon were fussing at Chris Murray every freaken game this year! Murray is neither finished growing or filling out.
Ok chief. I'm not saying Chris can't gain 60 lbs. I'm saying why on earth would he want to?? The coaches would probably move him to Buck end if he did.

If Chris puts on 10 lbs of muscle this off-season, that's great. Any more weight in that period of time could make him lose some speed and some quicks. Those are his greatest assets. But the coaches and strength trainer will know exactly what he needs.

And Chris turned 19 last month so he's about done growing in height, or close to it.
You might be right as far as height. We had a lot of kids in basic training grow a couple of inches before graduation though. But dang, 6'2" and 180 lbs...pretty slender still.

As far as losing any speed and quickness. I've been fortunate to see a lot of kids actually get faster. Didn't the Kirk kid get quite a bit faster before he was literally beat to a pulp carrying it so much?

Anyway, I look forward to watching the progression of MSUs latest quarterback. Especially given the fact he's basically learning the position while he's playing for MSU.

Still think before we can play with teams like Jacksonville State or NDSU and a couple of other Missouri Valley teams we need more linemen on both sides of the ball. It wouldn't hurt to head to Georgia and Florida for a few more DB kids either. Wish that kid from San Bernardino could make amends and play next year.

OK, a couple of things. Cam Newton was 6'5" and 250 lbs when he graduated from high school. He had just turned 18 a month before he graduated. Newton entered college about 8 months older than Murray. So, while its conceivable that Chris could have been held back a year of high school, then redshirted, he would be a RS freshman next fall. And you don't see many HS juniors starting the year at age 17, unless they were held back for a year.

Second, I'm not sure I've ever seen a player (not on the O or D line) add 70 lbs over a college career. I'd be really surprised to ever see Murray top 200. You don't see many skill players (not sure I've ever even heard of one) add 20 lbs in an off season.

And, as others have pointed out, you don't gain an extra year of playing time by graduating in 4 years. 4 years means 4 seasons of playing time. Every single NCAA sport at every single NCAA school

You're probably right on both counts. Perhaps the programs from Westlake High in and around 2005 had misprints kind of like ours out here don't accurately reflect the actual height and weight of the kids all the time. Plus, the high school combines had different data sets about that time.

Anyway...as Mother Teresa would frequently be heard to mumble. I'm really looking forward to next year as we are so used to saying.

Both lines showed a huge leap from this staff's first year, they aren't where they need to be yet, the Cats need more depth in the secondary because of the type offenses run out here, and more receivers.

We on the outside can say that roster full of kids they got their first year was great and that they were right there in every game but...

It's going to be fascinating to watch where this staff recruits from this year and what positions they feel need to really receive a huge infusion of talent.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:48 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:Minter was a game changer in more than a few games no doubt . Yate's I thought was a game changer in
Colorado this year, and was impressed when he ran stride for stride with Bryson McCabe in pursuit of the
NAU running back on the long TD run. Big Boy running w/ the safeties has some wheels . I would put in
a Jumbo package on Offense for short yardage and give Tucker the Ball. Expect our D - Line will see more improvement
next year. Would love to see a true pass rusher develop or come in.
One would think with Choates connections he can pick up a few drop down DL kids who will help the rotation and finally provide a decent rush. I wish Choate hadn't kicked the kid off for busting his teammates jaw fighting over a girl or suspended Nick for four games. But he did and who knows? Next year he gets some more receivers like him, some linemen and another Lasane type running back.

I'm excited to see what a more physical 19 year old Chris Murray looks like. Developmentally, he's where Dak Prescott and Cam Newton were at that age and can you imagine what Murray will be like when he gets up to about 235 to 250? I hope he is on track for graduation in four years because there are more than a few major colleges that would like to have him for one year!
Murray at 250, huh? mmmkay.

Are you really that slow? Look at what Prescott and Newton weighed when they were skinny little 17 and 18 year old kids. mmmmmm kay.....some of you need to give the kid a break for Christ's sake! Same damn ones who were drooling over the kid who left for Oregon were fussing at Chris Murray every freaken game this year! Murray is neither finished growing or filling out.
Ok chief. I'm not saying Chris can't gain 60 lbs. I'm saying why on earth would he want to?? The coaches would probably move him to Buck end if he did.

If Chris puts on 10 lbs of muscle this off-season, that's great. Any more weight in that period of time could make him lose some speed and some quicks. Those are his greatest assets. But the coaches and strength trainer will know exactly what he needs.

And Chris turned 19 last month so he's about done growing in height, or close to it.
You might be right as far as height. We had a lot of kids in basic training grow a couple of inches before graduation though. But dang, 6'2" and 180 lbs...pretty slender still.

As far as losing any speed and quickness. I've been fortunate to see a lot of kids actually get faster. Didn't the Kirk kid get quite a bit faster before he was literally beat to a pulp carrying it so much?

Anyway, I look forward to watching the progression of MSUs latest quarterback. Especially given the fact he's basically learning the position while he's playing for MSU.

Still think before we can play with teams like Jacksonville State or NDSU and a couple of other Missouri Valley teams we need more linemen on both sides of the ball. It wouldn't hurt to head to Georgia and Florida for a few more DB kids either. Wish that kid from San Bernardino could make amends and play next year.

OK, a couple of things. Cam Newton was 6'5" and 250 lbs when he graduated from high school. He had just turned 18 a month before he graduated. Newton entered college about 8 months older than Murray. So, while its conceivable that Chris could have been held back a year of high school, then redshirted, he would be a RS freshman next fall. And you don't see many HS juniors starting the year at age 17, unless they were held back for a year.

Second, I'm not sure I've ever seen a player (not on the O or D line) add 70 lbs over a college career. I'd be really surprised to ever see Murray top 200. You don't see many skill players (not sure I've ever even heard of one) add 20 lbs in an off season.

And, as others have pointed out, you don't gain an extra year of playing time by graduating in 4 years. 4 years means 4 seasons of playing time. Every single NCAA sport at every single NCAA school

You're probably right on both counts. Perhaps the programs from Westlake High in and around 2005 had misprints kind of like ours out here don't accurately reflect the actual height and weight of the kids all the time. Plus, the high school combines had different data sets about that time.

Anyway...as Mother Teresa would frequently be heard to mumble. I'm really looking forward to next year as we are so used to saying.

Both lines showed a huge leap from this staff's first year, they aren't where they need to be yet, the Cats need more depth in the secondary because of the type offenses run out here, and more receivers.

We on the outside can say that roster full of kids they got their first year was great and that they were right there in every game but...

It's going to be fascinating to watch where this staff recruits from this year and what positions they feel need to really receive a huge infusion of talent.
When you look at those losses and the holes they leave on the offense, the Cats look to be in pretty good shape. I think there are pretty clear replacements for Bignell at LB, LaSane at RB, Herbert at WR, Alley at and the two O-lineman spots. I think DT and Safety are a little bit more unproven.

You lose a bunch of guys every single year in college football-its just the nature of a 4 year program. We lose so few guys this year that the staff has the luxury of really just going after the best guys at any given position. Given what Choate said last year, I'm guessing we see a whole bunch of QBs with high GPAs recruited from winning programs. Smart, athletic guys that can move all over the field to whatever spot the staff thinks they'll make the biggest impact.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:12 pm

It would seem to me that Roper and Andersen's futures could be linked.

If the former can get right and take up a share of the rush attempts, that could free up Andersen to move back to linebacker as was planned. But if Roper (or another back) can't step up, I don't see how they move Andersen out of the offense. With LaSane moving on and the running game such a vital part of the Cats' success, it would seem critical that they prioritize the position.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:39 pm

I want to see not one but two DL dropdowns that can blow up any Big Sky offensive line.

Imagine my surprise to see a Georgia cornerback this year! Now get some of those baby buffalo defensive linemen!

Maybe Coach will talk to them about their fat little girlfriends and kind of sound like Mike Leach and they'll keep their hind ends out of trouble this year?

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:41 am

Cat Grad wrote:I want to see not one but two DL dropdowns that can blow up any Big Sky offensive line.

Imagine my surprise to see a Georgia cornerback this year! Now get some of those baby buffalo defensive linemen!

Maybe Coach will talk to them about their fat little girlfriends and kind of sound like Mike Leach and they'll keep their hind ends out of trouble this year?
Dude, too much Hoot wine!

If your left, you aren’t right.

HawaiiFiveO
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HawaiiFiveO » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:52 am

Roper is not part of the RB stable...He quit shortly after the 2017 season started...He was a Choate recruit...Roper's Dad is buddies with Choate..

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:24 am

HawaiiFiveO wrote:Roper is not part of the RB stable...He quit shortly after the 2017 season started...He was a Choate recruit...Roper's Dad is buddies with Choate..
So I guess he lost interest in the game? Is he still enrolled in classes?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:29 am

Sounds more like an injury retirement situation.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:58 am

If that’s true about Roper, then I’d say barring a big impact from a freshman (Cauley, White), Andersen needs to stay where he’s at.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:32 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:I want to see not one but two DL dropdowns that can blow up any Big Sky offensive line.

Dude, too much Hoot wine!
Maybe you need to watch a few Mike Leach motivational talks to his teams. Just a thought. Either that or we can watch the news again this year just to see which kid spends a night sleeping it off...

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:03 pm

The recent performance of kids from Georgia is not one to strive for.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:56 am

Surprised nobody is talking about the other Yates. We will be. Travis may have been our best DL guy on the roster, but managed to keep his RS intact.
High School Logged 101 tackles with six sacks and four forced fumbles in his career at Orange Lutheran... ranked as a three-star recruit and the top defensive lineman in southern California, and the 96th-rated strong side defensive end in the nation... his father (Shane) and brother (Timothy) each served two combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, and Timothy is a Purple Heart recipient.

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:50 pm

I like the trajectory of the Defense . On Offense we need a passing game that is on time, on target and in
stride to open receivers . We have Offensive weapons , a monster receiver JJ, real good possession receivers JD
and KK ,stretch the field Campbell ? , tight ends , did we not win a NC with 13 passes to a tight end ? Arguably one
of if not the fastest Back fields in the FCS . We have weapons that should only allow defenses 7 in the box , and
put defenses in real binds, 3 or 4 guys who can pass out of the back field ? To remain one dimensional another
year and not use all our weapons to their fullest potentials will keep the games closer than they need to be.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:07 pm

Hawks86 wrote:The recent performance of kids from Georgia is not one to strive for.
Maybe you are once again correct. It wouldn't do much good to check the rosters of SEC and ACC teams or point out that Kennesaw is in Georgia but go ahead and bash them. I'm curious how many kids are on Jacksonville State or Furman or...

Would be nice to get some linemen and a couple receivers, maybe two or three running backs and secondary help in this conference never hurts.

I like to think this staff knows much better than the armchair personnel chat room experts think though.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:58 pm

HawaiiFiveO wrote:Roper is not part of the RB stable...He quit shortly after the 2017 season started...He was a Choate recruit...Roper's Dad is buddies with Choate..
Roper retired due to foot and back injuries.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:00 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:Surprised nobody is talking about the other Yates. We will be. Travis may have been our best DL guy on the roster, but managed to keep his RS intact.
High School Logged 101 tackles with six sacks and four forced fumbles in his career at Orange Lutheran... ranked as a three-star recruit and the top defensive lineman in southern California, and the 96th-rated strong side defensive end in the nation... his father (Shane) and brother (Timothy) each served two combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, and Timothy is a Purple Heart recipient.
With the emergence of Elu Leota and maintaining Travis Yates' redshirt, MSU finally has quality depth at the nose tackle position for years to come. Throw in Chase Benson at the 3-tech and we are cookin' with gas for the foreseeable future.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:29 pm

I must have missed the conversation somewhere. What happened to Wade Webster? Listed as a junior but recognized on senior day.
I know when he came to MSU many of us were excited about him.

I would like to see a couple of lineman in the 6'6" range to replace Gillis and Mahoney.
Sean Hatten may still grow a bit. His parents are both tall.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:43 pm

I must have missed the conversation somewhere. What happened to Wade Webster? Listed as a junior but recognized on senior day.
I know when he came to MSU many of us were excited about him.
Wade graduated in 4 years and never could crack the starting lineup. Was sporadically on the two deep during his final two seasons but couldn't beat out the competition. Wade was highly regarded out of high school but when you get to college it is 100% a competition for your spot at all times.
I would like to see a couple of lineman in the 6'6" range to replace Gillis and Mahoney.
Doe's 6'5" suffice? Jake Sessions, Connor Wood, Lewis Kidd and Sean Hatten are all at or over 6'5". Lewis will likely kick out to left tackle next year while Jake and Connor will battle for the left guard spot. Sean will battle for a backup at either tackle or guard spot.
Sean Hatten may still grow a bit. His parents are both tall.
I think you are undervaluing how large a 6'5", 280 lb. human is.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:52 pm

" think you are undervaluing how large a 6'5", 280 lb. human is."

:lol:

Am excited for each of the players you mentioned. Just talking about replenishing the depth.
Do you know how J Asche is coming along?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:58 pm

kwcat wrote:" think you are undervaluing how large a 6'5", 280 lb. human is."

:lol:

Am excited for each of the players you mentioned. Just talking about replenishing the depth.
Do you know how J Asche is coming along?
The fact he has gained the necessary weight in two years is a testament to his dedication to the program. But he was very raw coming out of high school, even for a Class A school (Glendive). Jarrod may never get to be a starter at either tackle spot but if he can make it through his third season (next year) without being cut, the coaching staff must feel he can produce his junior or senior season. This spring will be big for him because MSU has an open competition for depth at either tackle spot behind Mitch Brott and Lewis Kidd (who I predict will be the next left tackle).